Skip to content

Culture Corner

Comments

• One of my favorite single episodes of TV ever.

• Is The Bear only available on subscription?

My interest has been piqued.

• Nick Drake was an extraordinary character.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Drake

• Rodney was his dad's name.

Nick Drake: The Life by Richard Morton is very good; a meaty tome and about as definitive as you can get. His sister – the actress Gabrielle Drake – gave her blessing for the book.

There's also the A Skin Too Few documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L24uYj92Tis

It seems incredible in today's world that there's no known footage of him.

• No TV footage, but happily we do have plenty of audio. That tribute should be available on playback for quite a while through the BBC Proms site, the concert featured a performance by his sister at the grand age of 80 amongst other fine contributions.

• Controversial possibly based on above but The Bear S3 as a whole is a bit crap and a massive drop off from s2. It's a bit posey which is fine but nobody seems to learn from anything and almost nothing happens. They genuinely look like they are enjoying themselves for the last 15 minutes though so I may continue when s4 comes out, bit of posh food and partying with celebs can do wonders it seems.

• I'd heard that season 3 was supposed to be the last one, but they decided to make four seasons halfway thru writing/filming season 3. That would explain why it feels a bit stretched.

• Lot of easily offended snowflakes when it comes to McClean, including some on here it would seem.

I remember when we played Wigan a couple of seasons ago and someone shouted "where's your fucking poppy Mclean?"

It was February

• It wasn’t that long ago we were supporting Killian Phillips when he was getting abuse for similar.

• And rightly so

• Err......sorry everyone. I've put this on the wrong thread

• I would say it’s not got the wow episodes of s2 and does feel stretched. But you can’t disagree that there aren’t some amazing performances in there. The labour sequence is pure theatre. Jamie Lee Curtis is special. The final episode is frustrating as it has so many loose ends and no new season til 2025 might be problematic.

• @LeedsBlue Really sad news about Martin Phillips of The Chills. I was lucky enough to see them last year, when both he and they were on fine form, including for a beautiful rendition of Submarine Bells.

• @our_frank Yes, just been reading about that in the Graun. Sad indeed. Didn’t know of his ‘struggles’, or the fact they were still going as a band. My collection stopped at ‘Soft Bomb’. ‘Part Past Part Fiction’ is one of my all-time favourite songs. Might need to do a bit of catching up...

Where did you see them?

• edited July 29

When they started it nobody thought it would get a second series and when they made the second, nobody thought it would get a third. So they didn't go through the usual "here's the backstory for this character" thing that most series with any kind of aspiration of longevity does. I believe they got the go-ahead for 3 and 4 at the same time so 3 ended up being nearly all backstory.

It's definitely not up with 1 and 2, but I think as a quarter of the overall body of work I quite liked it. I thought the episode with Tina's backstory was the pick of the series but I was disappointed not to get more of Ebraheim's.

Related, this is well worth a read.

• Random one that I have enjoyed recently - Loudermilk on Netflix. A series about a recovery group. Some big hearted laughs. Considering who the main writer is I thought it had some very well written characters that would normally be marginalised or filed under pity characters.

• Silver Bullets from 2015 is well worth a listen. I saw them at EARTH, in Dalston. A good venue for bands with a mature audience, as there is a choice of whether to sit down and stroke your chin, or get up and mosh like you vaguely remember doing in the 80s and probably shouldn't be doing anymore.

• Don't know if this is the correct thread, but I have just binge watched "The hour" on Netflix. For those of us "senior" generations, it was absolutely brilliant, bringing back many memories of "The Suez Canal crisis" and the beginnings of the Nuclear arms race plus the corruption that was rife within the police, government and MI6. Worth a watch to many I would guess. Also couldn't believe just how many people smoked as a ratio in them days, no wonder there has been almost a non stop campaign by the NHS for the practice to cease.

• @EwanHoosaami I was really disappointed when that didn’t get renewed for a third series. The British ‘Mad Men’ in tone, if not subject matter. Didn’t realise it’d gone to Netflix.

• How good is Declan MacManus.

• Andy Partridge, Declan MacManus, Ian Dury the new wave Trinity.

• I don’t know what Troy Hawkes stand up is like but his interactions with the public make me smile.

• I'm sure Dig! came up earlier in this thread, the greatest rock n roll documentary ever made. Well, if you also love that movie, you may be interested that there's a 20th anniversary version, re-cut from the original footage, with Joel Gion's words and narration over the top telling the same story from the BJM side.

• Great film, though I had to watch through my fingers at times it was so cringy.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil is also a must-see - basically Spinal Tap in real life.

• Anvil is amazing. Heartbreaking at times.

• Sept 4th for more slow horses

• I'm avoiding all trailers.