Skip to content

Culture Corner

Comments

• edited August 15

Is it just on Apple or can I see it anywhere else?

• Just Apple I'm afraid. However, sign up for a month and binge all of them. And Severance.

• Everyone keeps telling me how amazing slow horses is.... I think I will do a month and have a good ol' binge

• edited August 15

If you are ok with questionably legal streaming then then try freeprojecttv.cyou or sflix.freemovies.one/tv

i would encourage VPN use if you do & plugins/extensions like noscript & ABP

• I refer you to the Good Doctor above. He has prescribed Severance. Watch it and you will feel better.

• For those who have a passing interest in rock music, historical context and well-researched arguments (and have time to listen to podcasts other than RTB) I would recommend (so far on only a couple of listens) ‘A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs’.

The series is on Episode 176 and ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ so a fair old back catalogue to work through if the quality is sustained.

• I'm reading Killing Thatcher at the moment, highly recommended. Despite being a true story it reads like a gripping spy thriller. Shame it doesn't have the happy ending it deserves.

• Whilst not even close to high culture, I have thoroughly enjoyed Freddie Flintoff's Field of Dreams on iplayer (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00190pg/freddie-flintoffs-field-of-dreams?seriesId=m0021nvy).

• 12 pages late to the Culture Club, but for anyone not offended by a LOT of bad language, a bit of lively sex and drugs a'plenty, I'd heartily recommend 'Kneecap' about the rise of an Irish-language hip-hop trio in Belfast. It's like the Commitments on ket, directed by the lovechild of Spike Lee and the Coen Brothers. VERY funny (especially if you know anything about Ireland) but equally, incredibly dark in places. Mahoosive energy in the film - and thus all the weirder for seeing it yesterday lunchtime with just four other people in the cinema besides us. Not at all my musical genre (I'm the very, very tail-end of Boomer land), but this absolutely rattles along.

• Anyone read 'Street Level Superstar - a Year with Lawrence' about the Felt/Denim chap? Reviews seem positive but not sure whether to fork out £20 for the hard cover or wait and see if it goes down in price or comes out in paperback.

• iPlayer. If you've not watched season 1 first I'd recommend - only three episodes but a really good watch

• Kneecap is on the list for my film club. I'm also keen to know what @manchesterchairboy was answering.

• It’s not on in Wycombe, but showing in Reading and Oxford this week.

• You can watch the documentary 'Lawrence of Belgravia' (if you haven't done so already) for free by going to the BFI website and signing up for the two week trial.

Not the book, obviously, but a must-see for Lawrence fans.

(strong language, drug references)

• Can I recommend a YouTube channel.

States and Kingdoms.

Great if you’re a bit of a music nerd and enjoy people discussing your favourite albums track by track .

They have only about 12 viewers but it’s refreshing to listen to real enthusiasts.

• Guilty pleasure. I'm really enjoying Disco at the Proms on BBC2 now. It's an age thing,

• Not sure if it counts as Culture, but I have been finding the ticket furore over the Gallagher Brothers reunion very reminiscent of the Gasroom during good FA Cup runs.

'I've been an Oasis fan since 1993, but it looks like young people who never hitch-hiked to Knebworth in '96 are getting tickets leaving us real fans out in the cold...Liam and Noel sort it out.'

It's like no-one knows how capitalism (and the need to fund an expensive celebrity divorce) works.

• I don’t know anyone who managed to get a ticket. I wasn’t interested but quite a surprise to find that no-one I know who tried managed to snag one.

I think the most I’ve ever paid for a gig was £50 and I winced at that!

• I paid £120 a ticket to see that Paul McCartney at the O2 (I mean I am a Beatles nut but I hate arenas and £120 was a lot of money) because of a promise made to Mrs S during a gruelling period of treatment (for her not me). But that was seeing a Beatle singing the Beatles...(same day as the Southend final...ouch!) so I was sanguine about it.

Of course, there is a chance that once the (vast amount) of money has been resting in their account for a year amassing interest, Noel gets the bumhole, calls the whole thing off and they get a nice bung even if they have to refund! 😊

• Anyone else wondering whose wife Mrs S is?

• Mrs W of course. @drcongo We are progressive. She prefers her maiden name. 😊

• I'm progressive so I won't take your name. I'll take my mother's husband's name instead

Back on topic, Oasis are terrible.

• Mine if a certain Gasroomer is to be believed 😉.

Oh someone described the Oasis back catalogue as nursery rhymes for football fans which is a bit harsh on football fans.

• A bit harsh, if you'd queued for hours in full knowledge that you'd need to pay more than you ever had, and then been told at the last minute (after server errors , being bounced for no reason and all) that you can go away empty handed or pay 3 times even what you'd dreamt of earlier you'd be right to be pissed off.

Btw Valencia are trailing surge pricing and Inter Miami used it for Messi's games. Anyone hoping to go to a World Cup and play by the rules for official tickets would also have been stung for hotels and flights.

Quite right this gets a bad rap before we sit through a season of LDV games only to be told when we do get to Wembley that they moved the final to Leyton Orient and it's now £12,000 to get in.

Oasis were great for their time, it's a bit sad we have to dump on anyone having fun while encouraging everyone getting ripped off in the future.

• Most I have ever paid for a gig was £120 to see Chaka Khan at Ronnie Scotts, to be fair it was absolutely worth it & I had a seat right in front of the stage....

I think surge pricing as used by ticketmaster for these gigs absolutely sucks (I feel the same when airlines & hotels use it to manage demand), it really is one of the worst examples of rapacious capitalism.

• @StrongestTeam I think the price gouging is disgraceful just not very surprising.

Didn't mean to dump on anyone for whom Oasis is a bit of fun at all. The first two albums were a welcome diversion from Spice Mania, etc...and I find both angry Mancs quite amusing.

I found it funny that people were complaining that people who had not been around in the 1990s were buying 'their tickets'

To quote a great Burnage philosopher 'As you were...'