Skip to content

Ainsworth leaves QPR

Comments

• I’m surprised so many are ready to suggest which club he might manage next as if it were Football Manager.

He must be physically and mentally exhausted after these last nine months. He has been under extreme pressure and stress and it will have taken a toll on him and his family.

I hope he takes some time out to recover. He’s earned a rest.

• What about Millwall?

• I'll throw a club in the mix... Port Vale. Booed off today and on a bad run.

• Yes, they seem like they've got a nice level headed fanbase that will be patient 😁

• @glasshalfempty we're not banging on his window demanding he manage someone now...just speculating which jobs are/may be available. It's what we do. Doubt the Gasroom is on his mind.

• Exactly.

It'd be a quick end to the thread if we just said "just take a few months off".

• Port Vale or Lincoln next stop for GA.

• Both would mean uprooting the family though? Or living away.

Neither might be options he fancies?

• Unless there is a car full of Gasroomers on their way to Wokingham now...demanding answers!

• Apart from perhaps Watford, or pre last couple of years Sunderland, it's harder to think of a more basket case unstable club than QPR.

When was the last manager who even vaguely succeeded at QPR for longer than a couple of months?

• I’m terribly sad for Gareth. How awful to finally get your dream job and have it go so wrong so quickly. Hopefully in time he can attend a game at AP and we can thank him for everything he did for us.

Any L1 or L2 club would be lucky to have him, but I hope he takes some time to catch his breath and enjoy life a bit before he starts again.

• Those indulging in speculation are showing how little appreciation and understanding they have about the vicissitudes of football management.

• In what role? I am Dobbo’s greatest admirer but Blooms has his own backroom team and it would be wrong to disrupt that. I also think Gareth and Dobbo are a team and won’t be out of work for long.

• Spot on. I really hope he has a relaxing time for a while. It is easy to think some plum jobs are available now, but the reality of trigger happy clubs is that jobs come up every few days, it seems! There will still be clubs seeking managers a few months from now, or in the summer of 24.

• To be fair, he hasn't had a proper break in over a decade, which is pretty much unheard of in modern management.

• Sad for Gareth, he deserved better than that spider web of a club after being with us for so long.

Also brutal for Dobbo, Josh Hart and Dave Wates (assuming the latter two are also going).

• I agree with this. I don't think Blooms needs either of his old bosses looking over his shoulder.

GA and Dobbo will do well when they find the right fit.

• Find a role. He's a quality individual. Good organisations get quality people in when they become available, even if there isn't an immediate need.

At some point MB won't be Wycombe manager. Dobbo would be a great option to have in the building to takeover. You might call that kind of succession planning premature but evidence shows managers tend not to last long.

• edited October 2023

I think Gaz and Dobbo will stay together and find another gig soon. And I wish them so well…Achieved amazing things for Wycombe.

• Be good to see them rock up at a more likeable club together as and when they're ready.

• Sad that Ainsworth has lost his job but not convinced that it’s going to be as easy as some posters suggest for him to get a new job. Certainly very unlikely in the Championship. How many chairman in League 1 or even 2 would entertain his style of football? Clearly if you’re in a mess with little financial muscle he maybe an attractive prospect. Feel particularly sorry for Dobbo as I’m not certain he was totally sold on going to QPR. Hopefully the financial compensation for Ainsworth and Dobbo will be some comfort.

• I think Dobbo is one of the best signings Wycombe have ever made, but your idea just isn’t practical.

Why would Dobbo end his partnership with Gaz when it’s possible/likely they will be offered a new club sooner rather than later?

Why would he accept a minor role at WWFC on the basis that Blooms, one of the youngest managers in the EFL, might one day be sacked/move on?

Why would Blooms be comfortable downgrading one of his own coaching team to accommodate someone he might see as a threat to his own position?

• Quick pulse of forums for potential landing spots:

Reading: Fans would mostly bite your hand off for GA.

Rovers: Surprisingly (to me) about 50-50.

Lincoln: Barely a mention, no real discussion over him yet.

As stated well by other posters above, he may just want a rest, but it is good to see the QPR has not wrecked his reputation with fans in our division.

• Dobbo wanted to go, all the ascertions otherwise are lovely but not born out by his actions or words, he gave an interview to QPRs website saying he was a lifelong rangers fan, had friends in the crowd etc and what an opportunity it was.

Both Gaz and Dobbo were wonderful for this club and deserved their moves, and it's inevitable that there would be a conversation to be had if they were available again when we had a vacancy. You can't just shoehorn in jobs for them alongside a new existing setup.

Should we suddenly find ourselves with more money I'd love to see Dobbo as some kind of director of football but without a larger project or an academy and with people in roles it's difficult to see where he'd fit or what he could do without undermining authority.

• That era has passed - let it go.

• Good points. Sometimes you have to thank people for the past and move on. The king is dead, long live the king, etc.

What I do expect is that GA and Dobbo will get a deservedly thunderous reception at AP when they are next there, whether as guests or as opposition management, and I wish I could be there.

• edited October 2023

Reading would be mad in my opinion not to try and get him, but I think he is the perfect fit for Brizzle. Sadly.

• He’s unlikely to say , “ I don’t want to be here”.