Skip to content

PETER MURPHY

Comments

• Good luck to the lad. A real shame he couldn't settle, whatever the reason.

• Such a shame. Good luck to the lad.

• All the best Peter.

• Slightly annoying when another club beats us to the news and the player is already tweeting about his move. Or is it just that Matt Cecil is on holiday and he's a one man media machine !

• To be fair to the club they did highlight people are away until the 5th.

• Sad loss but in perspective he became a bit part player. Thanks and good luck. Freeing up wages so expect good quality signings to come in

• Saddens me that we got wind of Murphy move by our forum and Morecombe confirmed the news of Murphy's departure. Reason to get him off our wage bill as I personally don't think it can be anything else and the ofc not playing Murphy regularly.

You could see it etched on Murphy's face (sod this for laugh) when he was on the bench. I bet you Murphy did talk to GA and wouldn't be surprised, was told if you aint happy best you move on.... Some say WW wouldn't get in the way of someone's football progression, "Stewert!" anyone. So I am led to believe the forum post that claimed GA and AH weren't happy that Murphy was on more wonga then Hayes and adds little else if he ain't scoring.

Anyway Murphy "The General and Man of Steel", wish you and your family all the best.

• Good luck to him. My favourite memory of Murphy is how he combined with the defenders to keep Akinfenwa entirely out of the game for the home league match against AFC Wimbledon. To say he adds nothing except goals is not true. He is a loss, but I'm confident that Ainsworth will be able to replace him. Saunders and Yennaris would do me!

• And there he was gone. Combination of not playing and home sick. Good Luck Peter, I hope it works out for you. I thought there was great potential shame he has gone. Can we now afford Sam Saunders?

• Theme is forming we are culling our wage bill. On top of Hogan and Craig who to date, aint bitten GA offer, says to me we haven't got much to offer a lot quality players except play under GA stewardship. If you ain't in the side you can possibly be sat on your arse for awhile.

• I don't think the lack of a reserve team would be that much of an influence - if anything our small squad means they are more likely to get a game at Wycombe than elsewhere.

I think the problem for Murphy was that he didn't fit in to the the 4-3-3 system that Ainsworth now seems to favour.

• @Ciderk1d
    It is hard to see what you are moaning about here.
    WWFC has a very limited income and no businessman owner willing to subsidize the club. It therefore has to spend on players wages only what it brings in through the gaste and other revenues less other necessary expenditure.
    As a result WWFC is likely to have a below average wage budget for the division, possibly one in the very bottom few, this despite it being situated in a high cost of living area.
    Sadly intensive efforts to find a magic money tree on the site have so far proved unfruitful.
    So we have a limited wage bill which is highly likely to mean a relatively small squad plus some loanees. last year GA made that work incredibly well. Maybe he will be able to do so just as well in the season ahead, maybe not - we will see.
    Within that limited wage bill if relatiely higher paid players less likely to be starters in the team want to leave, it probably makes sense to let them in order to free up their wages to spend on players more likely to be in the first team.
    Once a squad is formed, and in many positions that may well not happen until shortly before season starts (Mawson for example was a few hours before), I would expect GA to pick the 11 players he thinks is most likely to win the game. I would not expect him to operate a rotation system so that all squad players got the same game time.
    I am struggling to see a lot wrong with that approach. What exactly are you moaning about.

• I'll miss Murphy. He did a great job for us during the first half of the season, and added a real nasty edge to our play (meant entirely as a compliment) which had been sorely lacking for a while.

Now he's at Morecambe with Bentley, Ellison, McKenna et al I predict they will be a horrible side to play against next season (again, meant as a compliment). Pretty decent outside bet for promotion next year I'd say. The bookies seem to have them at 100/1 and favourites along with Accrington to go down. I'd say they've got that completely wrong

• Oh I don't know, I think Scowen could be fairly nasty at times.

• But I don't think he was an abrasive "winder-up".

• I think a Barnsley fan sang his praises after his first game for them, saying he was a right bastard. He seems to still be very well thought of up there, and I'm still a little bit gutted that he no longer plays for Wycombe.

I'd agree that without Murphy or Scowen we are missing a little bit of an edge in midfield.

• @DevC said:
    I am struggling to see a lot wrong with that approach. What exactly are you moaning about.

Well said @DevC . People need to be more understanding of the limitations GA and the club are working under. We just have to be patient and trust in GA to work his magic again.
    Murphy leaving makes perfect sense if he's one of the higher earners, not guaranteed a starting slot and wants to play regular football. And I don't think I've seen any signings for other clubs that I've felt bothered about us missing out on.

• Thinking back to the away game last season, Murphy had a run-in with Jamie Devitt which got the Morecambe player sent off.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/11531952.Bentley_points_finger_at_Murphy_over_red_card/

Expect more of those antics from Murphy next season then, hopefully not against us!

• @Fidget
    Two signings that made me sit up were Corr to Cambridge and Olejnik to Exeter. Olejnik was Yorks keeper last season having a blinder at AP just after Christmas and always highly rated by Torquay supporters previously. Both those clubs benefitted from a financial windfall last season and I would tip both to surprise positively next season.

• Can still remember Murphy winding up us fans when Accrington were at adams park a few years back; a real arse to play against but a laugh when on your side. Can see him causing us a lot of trouble when lining up against us next season. A good player who made a great start but went rapidly off the boil pretty quickly. A good move for all considering how much he was earning. I just hope he wasn't too much of a **** to actually take a severance package of us when it was obvious towards the end of the season he wanted out.

• From the thread it looks like Murphy and WW came to a mutal agreement and a 10k hand shake which would amount to 10-11 weeks being paid anyway and allows Murphy to sort out his affairs and GA/AH can plan their budget, guess we are waiting on the quality (upper leagues) loanees free market?

With Playoffs/Wembley monies why?

• Why not?

• @Ciderk1d Do you honestly think that, regardless how much it was we received, that all of the play off money can go straight into the playing budget?!

• I'd missed that news about Olejnik. He was absolutely sensational at Adams Park last season.

• @Ciderk1d said:
    With Playoffs/Wembley monies why?

Because that money shouldn't be spunked away on extra players just because it was unbudgeted income. It should be used to help stabilise the finances.

And who says we are just waiting? I doubt anyone is just sitting in their office twiddling their thumbs - I think Gaz is as capable as any of us at realising that we need to add a few extra bodies...

Perhaps the players we are interested in are on holiday, perhaps they have contract details to sort out with their current clubs, maybe we have deals lined up but don't want to make the details public just yet.

• perhaps it's best all round for GA and the club, we will need to trust in GA and hope he can come up with the goods .....

• The fact is that Ainsworth wouldn't have left us with such a thin squad at this moment in time if he didn't have players ready to come in with, as Fidget refers to, the minor details to sort out. Similarly he wouldn't have left us with only one recognised centre back if he didn't have one ready to come in. To suggest that we are waiting around for the leftovers of other clubs and chancing our luck with a squad of around 13 is just totally ludicrous.

My guess is that once the first signing is announced - whenever that may be - then the rest will follow suit in quick succession. Just a case of trust and patience.

• Murphy did seem to lose his way once Scowen went...which surprised me as I thought he would be quite good in that role in the middle of a midfield three. I am sure he went with no malice on either side after the season he had. We cannot complain abut the players GA bought in last year...although I am still unconvinced by Hogan...so I am prepared to await another Alfie or Pierre. I would be quite happy if Stewart came back...if all sides could bury their differences...as I think he and Aaron would have made a good pairing had we not had to get in Alfie at short notice. (Though of course I am glad we did...!!)

• I think that ship has sailed.

• Stewart to come back now there is a thing !!!