Skip to content

Burton protest

Comments

• The BBC is totally paralysed with a chief who is a Tory donor with close links to senior Tories. The Government threats to pull the licence fee have them scared to go against the Government.

isn’t that what is going on here. So pleased to see so many in football standing up against it

• You might want a look at the BBC chair, head of news, various directors and their leanings. It's ridiculous to consider them free from interference. You can't voice an opinion on politics and lead a sports programme (despite the rules referencing sensitivity in certain areas of broadcasting) but you can be a massive Tory donor giving political speeches and host news programmes, head the organisation and sort out loans for Bojo Andrew Neil and Alan Sugar fine, Lineker unnaceptable....

• Football Focus being pulled off air according to reports, as no-one was willing to step in for Alex Scott.

• Hold on, didn't Jeremy Clarkson recently write in a newspaper column that he longed for the day when Meghan Markle had to parade naked through the streets, with people throwing excrement at her? I don't remember any protests or faux outrage about that.

As a result, ITV announced that he would no longer be hosting Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

That was a bad call IMHO, as is the BBC's decision to exclude the jug-eared one from MOTD. Nobody cares what his views on this or any Government are, and if he wants to become involved in politics, he should stand as a candidate in the next election. Until then, he should, as one MP said, stick to reading out the football scores, and flogging crisps.

• Oh shit, he really is a rugby fan

• If you can get this going Eric, I will personally crown you king of the gasroom and give your avatar a little crown.

• Clarkson didn't get sacked due to displaying a bit of political bias, he didn't actually need to as he's been allowed to be very obvious about his politics for many years directly on his shows and in newspaper columns, he was sacked not for bias or for mild racism at the BBC, but for punching a junior member of staff on TopGear, then not renewed by ITV for a fairly disgusting abhorrent comment against an actual person. As the GBNews cry babies are learning from advertisers cancelling in commercial ventures people don't want to be associated with muckrakers.

Disagreeing with a government policy that is cruel but also unworkable, clickbaity and wasteful and that affects helpless people isn't actually the same as jumping all over celebrities or promoting racism or harmful conspiracy theories for spurious or financial reasons, despite what Matt Le Tissier might think and say on GBNews.

• Jason Mohammad has pulled out of Final Score

• So glad I’ve been able to persuade mrs micra to switch from BBC News at 6 and The One Show to Channel 4 News.

• And look what the Tories tried to do to them for disagreeing, threatening cuts until they were reminded they don't supply any funding and then trying to sell it off to their mates based on a load of manufactured reasons that were never going to fly.

• I think I might be in contention for that title, given the way the down arrows are accumulating under my post above. What's the Gasroom record for thumbs down?

• Ludicrous hyperbole. The use of the 'f' word is boring and meaningless.

• This furore has made it clear that there needs to be a conversation about what is expected of a national service and supposedly unbiased broadcaster and clear lines must be drawn to delineate what is and is not acceptable behaviour by all its staff and associates.

• There are fairly clear lines, their rules get rewritten every time someone gets annoyed and a scandal blows up, it's not at all clear he has breached them or got near what others are allowed to do, what needs clarifying is how independent and free from political interference they are going to be allowed to be.

• Toryboy is amongst us! Christ.....

• One of the reasons why the Vote Leave campaign was successful in 2016, was that many people in places like Kettering were concerned that their local schools, NHS facilities, Council services etc., were in danger of being overwhelmed by an influx of immigrants and asylum seekers, legal or otherwise.

For the same perceived reasons, Boris Johnson's promise to 'get Brexit done' was instrumental in achieving an 80+ seat majority at the 2019 General Election.

The current Government, lagging well behind in the polls, and trying to deal with the fallout of Johnson's dramatic fall from popularity following Partygate, have put forward a policy which they clearly think will tap into that underlying sentiment. Bunging the French £480m to prevent boats leaving their shores is part of that, although I suspect that the French will pocket the money, do very little and shrug their shoulders when questioned.

But the question is, as many on this form seem to want, getting the Tories out is all well and good, but who do you replace them with? Labour are unlikely to win an overall majority without the 50-odd seats that the SNP hold, and the LibDems look to be capable of gaining a few seats mainly in the South West. So we're likely to end up with a 'coalition of chaos' in which Labour, as the single largest party, are going to have to make major concessions on issues such as Scottish independence, and Proportional Representation, in order to form an administration.

• Heaven forbid that the people of Kettering should have concerns.

• The BBC used to represent everything that you'd want in a national broadcaster. How did we get here?

• A word of warning, chap - there is an in-crowd of smug and hypocritical progressives on this forum that will shout down anyone that doesn't bleat their mantra.

• Mark Chapman and Colin Murray have pulled out of their 5 Live shows

• Does that make you part of the " in-crowd of smug and hypocritical progressives on this forum that will shout down anyone that doesn't bleat their mantra" then? Asking for a friend.

• To those giving my last comment the thumbs down: your outrage has nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with his views. If he'd tweeted that the government weren't doing enough to turn back migrants you'd all be screaming for him to be sacked. Hypocrisy.

• I don't know why you're starting on me. Your comment was politically impartial and a re-hash of my politically impartial comment. So of course I agree.

• Talksport will have problems today what with their presenters checking their phones every five minutes.

• Apologies, It didn't sound like it, it sounded like you were saying the Beeb need to look at the rules Gary and other presenters abide by while I was suggesting they already have done but just don't enforce them well, largely due to external (or barely hidden internal) influence.

Setting aside your championing of your own right to dissenting views on the post below whilst smugly dismissing others doing the same, and people having fairly valid concerns over government interference as much as any policy opinion:

A) Do you not see any difference between the two positions - One is defending people already at risk against removal of even basic protections against being illegally trafficked and sold into slavery, one seems to be artificially raising concern around already comparatively low numbers of refugees and the support for them in order to pander to certain markets and voters.

B) People post the alternative view all day every day and rather than being sacked are regularly invited to do so on BBC panel shows

Happy to leave it there of you feel me disagreeing with anything you say on a forum is starting on you. Think there might be some football breaking out at some point anyway.