Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• I wonder whether our analysts should be subject to more analysis. Someone must have run the stats and decided Mellor was what we needed, after all. I suspect he was on bigger bucks than perhaps deserved, given he signed from Manchester United for the first team. Our decision to loan him out rather than play him, knowing that Mehmeti was likely to leave this window, suggests Gareth doesn't yet think him first team ready.

• If we drop out off play off contention and end up with a few dead rubbers. I'm sure Cartwright will feature. Being able to get Max and Scowen to sign new contracts will be vital to next year's team building.

• Premier league analysts are on about £25-30k a year. Wycombe’s analyst will barely earn more than minimum wage. You expect them to never make a mistake? Your expectations are obscene sometimes.

• It's not even a mistake - the analysis still ultimately informs a decision based on subjectivity, by the management team

• I agree. Good luck to the lad as it was obviously a disastrous time at Aberdeen for him. Doesn’t he also live near Milton Keynes. He was great for us and we should hold no grudges just because he signed for MK. After all it is a job and he needs to ensure he gets money coming in the door to keep the heating on.

• I expect Premier League analysts are on significantly more than that, I would like to hope Wycombe's are too, tbh. Stop misinterpreting what I say please. I don't expect anyone not to make a mistake. I do expect a football forum about Wycombe to be able to discuss the good and the not so good, to be able to suggest alternatives, provide constructive criticism or have views possibly out of the mainstream, to be able to express them without being constantly attacked in small-minded ways by those who just seem to get off on being constantly outraged.

• Also, Mellor is only 22 and has plenty of time to prove that he’s capable of playing at League One level. He was obviously going to be behind Vokes, Hanlan etc in the pecking order with limited opportunities to have a long run in the starting eleven. He will benefit greatly from his loan at Rochdale and I think we’ll see more of him next season.

• It's throw-away comments like this that make me understand why clubs are so reluctant to make public players' fees and wages. Imagine that we did know Mellor's wages and that he was on a higher than expected wage just imagine how difficult that would be for him when he didn't perform as he, the management team and the supporters expected.

The same would equally apply to a player who was bought in on an expensive transfer fee. The world of today where anyone can publicly (on social media) berate and abuse a player with impunity is just not conducive to freely sharing that sort of information.

• These are questions that are worth asking, but maybe not about Mellor. D’Mani may find his feet at Rochdale and come back guns ablazing next season, but it’s Horgan and Kaikai that were bigger swings and misses.

• Attacked? or disagreed with by someone giving their own opinion. You seem quite outraged about the whole thing.

• I agree. He certainly has something about him, just needs a run to get confidence and he could be a really good prospect for next season and beyond.

It is also very difficult for these young lads to move to the other end of the country away from their families. I sincerely hope he does well at Rochdale and comes back ready to make a massive impact.

• With 19 games remaining it pretty much depends on where we end up. Taking an optimistic view, if we finish as play-off final winners and go up to the championship, then that changes everything.

1) We would obviously have a bigger budget.

2) We would be more attractive for any potential new investors should the Couhigs decide to sell.

3) Gareth’s stock would rise even further and maybe Bristol City would come in for him and Dobbo. Re- the existing insider knowledge angle.

• Sorry wrong thread

• Just scrolling through the list of EFL transfers. Not a single disclosed fee. Transfer fees used to be the early red flag of a club running themselves into unsustainable debt. I wonder if as part of the football finance reviews clubs should be forced to declare transfer dealings. It might promote a bit more honesty. Let’s face it there has been times where club x has paid club y for a player and the amount have not matched.

• Even if they weren't comfortable with the dealings, I can't imagine they'd have done a video saying it's been a disaster would they?

• With Anthony Stewart gone to MK, does anyone else feel like....

- your ex girlfriend left you to go to someone better, which you can half accept

- it didn't work out so you thought there was a chance of rekindling something

- they got with your school enemy?

I feel a bit sick about it and I'm probably going to sleep on the floor in my Mum and Dad's room tonight.

• Couldn't care. I've only ever been to MK once (I've just recovered) so as far as I am concerned they don't really exist. It is like he has retired. Good luck to him. Just hope he never scores against us and kisses the badge, that would be ill-judged.

• @thecatwwfc I saw from a previous post we are the same age. Probably two of the youngest on here....

You local? Any chance we might n

Know eachother?

• @Alexo Was I supposed to be quoted in your last message?

• Apologies if it appears somewhere already in this thread but if Mehmeti was our club record sale who was the previous record holder?

• edited February 2023

It feels like I've come home to find my wife in bed with Lucy Liu and I'm not even allowed to watch and have to sleep in the spare room in a race car bed.

• Looking in bewilderment at the disconnected, unanswered (or unanswerable) and largely incoherent postings at the end of this thread makes me feel that, in the end, the thread has poetically ended up exactly reflecting our January transfer window . . . Well done all!

• 'The deal includes the potential for future payments depending on various landmarks being reached in Anis’s career'.

It is quite possible that (if we've learnt from our mistakes) one of these landmarks could be becoming a full Albanian international. The chances of this not happening for a small country like Albania must be remote. So we might be in line for a further wedge sooner rather than later.

• Sorry if that seems a bit off message but I tried to post it yesterday and for some reason couldn't.

• edited February 2023

I reckon he'll be straight into the Bristol City starting 11 and get his first call-up for next month's internationals or the break after that (June)

• We really don’t know how much Anis was sold for and are never likely to find out. The fee may have included future milestones but we won’t know what they are at all.

Hope he went for at least £1M up front but I suspect not but unfounded.

• There still seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the so-called Philips international Cap cock up. The theory seems to be that we could have got the same size add-on for him getting a Scottish cap as getting an English cap but we missed out due to poor drafting. That really is nonsense.

• Didn’t we sell the sell-on clause for a bag of footballs mere hours before a big money transfer? Perhaps I’ve mixed that up with another of our transfer bungles.

• Ignore that, was chatting bollocks