Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• Or only as good as the bids that came in and unable to say no for fear of not getting whatever pittance we've been offered.

• You have to be fair Alan, Gareth gives little away and does enjoy a tease, that is is way right or wrong.

• I have to say that far too much slating of the club has been going on surrounding Mehmeti. It’s our record outgoing. Originally, he was a development squad player. He’s dug us out of many difficult games this season with moments of brilliance. I’m more critical of the club giving Horgan an extension of his contract when it was largely unjustified.

• It is disappointing to think we may have got so little for him when Gareth was quoting 5,6,7 Million a few weeks ago. If he did have a 1M bounty on his head and that was linked to him signing a new contract then that's fine. Especially as he could have walked last year if that contract was not signed.

What is most disappointing is the quote from Gareth when the fee has probably turned out to be only 15% of what he quoted.

I have no problem with the club keeping everything behind closed doors but it will lead to all sorts of speculation on contracts and injuries and for all we know we might have got 4M for him.

• Our previous record outgoing was £675k, GA was quoting AM as worth up to £7m, there’s quite a lot of difference between those figures.

Given previous dealings fans are rightly going to be concerned that we haven’t landed on the better side of the deal. It could be that we have got a great deal, but we don’t know and history suggests otherwise.

• Why have some people taken that GA quote so literally? He was asked if we could hang on to Anis and obviously replied by talking up his potential value. He was hardly likely to send out a message to potential buyers saying ‘Offer £200k and he’s yours.’ Andrew Howard and Pete Couhig are hard nosed businessmen and they will have squeezed as much out of the deal as they could. This is real life football, not some video game. We took a gamble on Anis when other clubs had rejected him and made a huge profit on him, seems like good business to me.

• I don’t understand holding GA to account over the “5, 6, 7” quote. It was clearly expressed with tongue firmly in cheek. There’s no way our manager would reveal the numerical bite point of our top asset.

• Ainsworth was making every effort to laud Mehmeti and get him sold. This is fine as we need the money and it is good business, however quoting he is worth 5,6,7M when we do not discuss these things is a big error in my mind.

You can't have a club who keep everything behind closed doors but then have a manager quoting wild sums. The two are at complete opposites.

I'm delighted for the club, Anis and Gareth/Sam with our record fee.

• Even if Gaz was being serious - which he wasn't - people actually believed that Anis could have been worth £5m? 😂

• Absolute bunch of wallies on here sometimes

• I’m not sure anyone is taking what GA said literally, but there’s little to go on when thinking what AM was worth. Clearly it was likely he could be sold, so people will talk about fees.

Comparing him to Twine was not ridiculous, he went for £4m. Ability wise you couldn’t say that there is an enormous difference between either player.

• Anyone who takes any comment any public figure says as 100% true has some life lessons to learn.

A statement to the media is selling a story and trying to move towards a goal - no more no less - whether the statement comes from a politician, a pressure group, a business leader, a sports manager,a player etc etc. There is usually (not always) a germ of underlying truth but very rarely the whole truth and nothing but the truth

• edited February 2023

Not at odds at all and a fairly obvious answer to a question he's been asked for months if not years. It's called saying something for the effect it might create, it boosts the players ego a bit and tells time wasters not to bother with 200k / loan bids that old Darragh at Posh said they were fielding all last week for some of their best prospects.

There's areas to push for more transparency for fans but what fee we might be willing to accept for a player getting better by the day and picking up plaudits all around isn't one.

We do seem to have fans who get hung up on sound bites without any attempt at trying to understand what has been said or why.

• I think it's their first day involved in football support!

Ridiculous to listen to a manager talking values!

• Exactly. You can't blame him for the twin aims of boosting Mehmeti's confidence, as well as a cheeky attempt to get bidders to come in a bit higher.

Realistically you can't imagine any bidding club wouldn't be able to uncover a clause through an agent though.

And even if he'd been legally gagged about revealing it, there's no way you could prove he'd revealed it and the buying club didn't just happen to come in at close or slightly higher.

• GA was joking. Don't think it is anything deeper than that, is it??

• Fees don't always work as these sort of comparisons. And with a clause involved, totally removes the comparison as well.

• Oh of course if there was a buyout clause it renders any comparison pointless.

A buyout clause would almost certainly be more than we would have got via tribunal, plus we got Anis for an extra half a season.

• Did I miss something has the fee we received been released?

• Yes, Ainsworth let slip it was £567million as I understand it. Not bad business.

• Yep, we've been utterly stitched by tribunals in the past.

We got lucky with Ibe's move happening when it did or we might have been limited to 50k or so!

• I'm picturing a perfect circle venn diagram: people who thought Gaz saying £7m meant that's what we'd get for Anis / people who though Rob Couhig saying promotion was the goal meant we would definitely get promoted.

• The situation is clear that we all wanted Anis to stay until the end of the season to take us into the play-offs and hopefully the Championship. There is no doubting his exceptional skills.

I for one I would have liked us to hold onto him for this season. I know it would have been a gamble but although we will never know now, it may have been a gamble well worth risking if we had been promoted and the Championsip money came in once more.

Anyway, we need to push on and hopefully we can still make our play-off goal but if not, I am sure we will all be there supporting the mighty Wycombe next season.

• Realistically we would struggle to get in the play offs now, let alone win them with or without Anis.

He clearly wanted to go (as he should to progress his career and enhance his finances) and would have left at the end of the season anyway. We have got a temporary replacement, albeit on loan, who may or may not be a useful addition. He must have shown promise for Wolves to have just given him a new 4 year contract. We could have kept him and then he suffered a serious injury resulting in no transfer fee.

The Couhigs are currently running the club unsustainably in financial terms so the projected losses have to be partly addressed by sales. Remember, Brighton and Brentford have in recent years sold their best players but that has not halted their proress.

Personally I am quite happy to see Anis go and I hope to see him playing in the Premier League in a couple of years.

The key for us is how we reinvest in players to develop and whilst Gareth his here I am confident he will find new gems. I think we already have one in Forino assuming we can get him fit regularly.

• Why does Ainsworth keep teasing the fans? Why mention potential free agents in the latest video. Keep quiet until someone arrives.

• If he didn't mention them, he'd get moaned at for not keeping quiet. He can't win.

• Move on with life, the window is shut!!

• another player let go for alot less than we should of got for and yet people are happy about it .