Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• Thats all folks....

• Not best pleased with today as it stands, but if Gaz is happy (and he genuinely seems it in the 20 min interview), then I’m sure I’ll be happy in the coming weeks. He continues to talk very highly of TJ. Cautiously optimistic.

• please find a buyer Rob and Pete ; its obvious you don't have the clubs best interests at heart

• edited January 2023

I never took it as a promise or anything, but he looks like a bit of a turnip now.

• 11 reasons to be optimistic:

Max

Grimmer

Forino

Taffs

Obita

Scowen

Wheeler

Wing

Campbell

GMac

Vokes

Not to mention:

Mawson

Gape

Thompson

Freeman

JJ

Hanlan

McCarthy

TJay

We still have a very good starting XI, some good cover, and both Max and Mawson are still with us!

• Tbh, I think we're fine everywhere else (although the depth isn't ideal), but we have two senior centre-forwards. We are very light up top.

• @DevinesWanderers80 And what are "the clubs best interests" ?

Many think it is being sustainable

• Wonder if we toyed with taking Jockey McTools back on loan? Surely he would rather have come home than taken the Franchise gig?

As ever, we’ll never know.

• Home for Anthony Stewart is (or at least used to be) Milton Keynes.

• edited January 2023

I think it was an average Jan transfer window for us, we offloaded some of our wage bill, farmed out some of the development lads to continue their growth & education & brought 2 players in on loan, that coupled with the money from the sale of Mehmeti means at least financially we are in a better position.

GA seemed to be fairly upbeat, as he has kept the core of his first team squad together; so I expect we will see little difference in style or results. Is it good enough for the top 6, only time will tell, but I do expect one or two of those above us to have poor run ins/implode.

As for the twitterati bleating about Stewart being loaned to franchise, what exactly did he owe us? He left us presumably because Aberdeen offered him a better deal at a slightly higher standard of football, the fact that he was found a tad wanting didn't automatically mean he would come back to us with his tail between his legs...

• Don't forget we can still sign free agents, window isn't shut for them !

• I want some of what Stewart is smoking. Could barely have been a worse 6 months for him. Leaving in the summer thinking the grass was greener. A series of shockers sent off multiple times and losing to an amateur side arguably worst result in Scottish Cup history. And now in his wisdom joins Franchise.

Can't honestly think of another example of a club captain being loaned out mid season before.

• RE: Stewart.. no, he's done that once already... would have been even more embarrassing a second time around

• Please @drcongo ban this person, its clear he doesn't have the club's interests at heart

• Isn't Connor Wickham a free agent? Unless that was a wind up - I am losing track.

• Stewart to MK Dons disgusts me.

• that 20 min chat between Pete, GA and Phil was so refreshingly open, honest and fascinating. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Matt Taylor has gone on loan from Oxford to Port Vale. If he plays on Saturday will this be the first time we've faced a player in consecutive matches playing for different clubs? (I'm pretty sure it won't be but wonder if our trivia minded gasroomers can think of others).

• Two centre forwards with just 5 goals between them.

• As @ReturnToSenda says, we’re very light up top. We do tend to spread the goalscoring around a bit.

Whoops, I forgot. Mainly to Anis. All eyes will be on Chem in the hope that he will inherit that mantle and what’s to say that Tjay won’t chip in from time to time?

• I'm just glad Anthony Stewart got out of that hellish-sounding situation at Aberdeen

• Stewart as club captain being loaned out to MK is truly amazing.

But he's well out of Aberdeen to say the least. Their forum was pretty toxic and bet games were horrible.

• Spoke with a friend of mine yesterday that WAS ITK. He said that he hadn't seen Chem play for a year or so, but in his time watching Chem he was a player that you could tear your hair out at times in frustration. However he did qualify that by saying that he hadn't seen him play for at least a year maybe two and maybe he has matured a lot in that time. Sounds very much like Anis in his early time with us? 🤷‍♂️

• I always thought they had a bit longer ? They have done in the past, has the rule changed then ? Would seem a bit harsh on the players without a club atm

• Window can be summed up as financially excellent, football wise mneh.

We really need our big money guys now to perform and or recover quickly to enable us to make an attempt at the play offs.

As for Stewart to MK I don’t know why people are pissed. He gave everything for us. I feel sorry for him but his time was done, from both parties perspective I would suggest.

• I was disappointed to see Stewart leave but Mawson is a class above (but of course he does seem injury prone). Problem is that anyone associated with MK will always have to bear that burden. I guess if its a career though you don't worry too much.

Overall our team does look ok and covered in most positions, but it will rely on luck with injuries and/or a player such as TJ to emerge in the next few months to make the playoffs.

I hope (and presume) they are sensibly planning for next season as well, we are almost certain to lose a few more big players in the summer and it would be nice to think we have half an eye on a regenerated squad next season too.

• I, unlike the bedwetters on social media, have every faith that GA/RD know what they are doing & given how comfortable the former seemed with his transfer window dealings suggests we will be there or there abouts come May.

I am also sure that along with their 2 analysts they have a well thought out plan for the summer transfer window & the rejuvenation of the squad for next season.

There is a possibility I could be deluded having drunk too much of the Couhig cool-aid.

• On we go, still massively outperforming, with a strong squad albeit one now with less depth.

Still struggling to understand why the Hull GK would want to come here to sit on the bench or Tyla go to Sutton to sit on their bench. Can't help thinking both would have been better off dropping lower if necessary but to clubs where they would play every week. Unless of course Max is injured or needs an op. Time will tell......