Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall (FA Cup)

Comments

• From what we've seen of Gaz, once he decides he's been a bit caught out by a situation, he's very stubborn to change his view on it.

We've heard it from him on subs - saying he'd gone early once, leaving the opposition to play their cards later, and change the game.

We've seen it on loans, basically developing players for other teams.

No idea why we're playing a back 3. It worked in the championship, but it's a different football up there, and we had better mids (well, actually could field our best mid), and a much different forward in Uche.

Playing the 3 not only loses you a key man up field, but puts way too much importance to the wing backs to be your outlets. Ours seem to provide next to nothing, so we need a rethink.

The big positive is Scowen being bandied about as "close".

While our "close" usually means a fair few weeks- we only have 2 games in a month now, so hopefully he's back for the Portsmouth home game early December.

• Would get back to a back 4 straight away and bring Horgan back in for the extra work rate and hustle. Do the best we can in the midfield 2 until Scowen is back. McCleary and Mehmeti wide, Hanlan as the impact sub.

• Not sure if we could make those roads one way - but maybe? We could certainly make it exit only from the car park after the game and entry only before since we'd controlaccess to the car park.

My guess would be top end of Toweridge Lane going out beyond West Wycombe because that's only about 250m from the top car park as the partridge flies (on Google maps, anyway). Although I confess Ive never been down the road so no idea if it's feasible.

• Watching Torquay vs Derby and it does make you wonder…

If our wing backs could deliver crosses half as well as Derby’s, then Vokes would have a field day.

• It'd work as long as no-one is trying to come up the connecting hill from West Wycombe at the same time, or some of the few residents trying to get to their place.

I wonder if they could put an objection in?

• Just a point on the style of play. One thing that was noticeable in the 1st half was how much we tried to play out from the back. We were however rubbish at it! Goal kicks were mostly taken short to Taf, or Mawson, we'd then pass it around at the back, before launching aimless balls up the channel towards Hanlan. The usual long ball to Vokes we seemed to avoid.

2nd half we were much better playing out from the back, but that was partly due to Walsall sitting much deeper and not pressing us as they did in the 1st. Horgan's introduction also helped, as he was dropping deep and offering options to the defenders. We just didn't show the quality needed to break them down.

• I think you’re being harsh on the likes of Vokes and McCleary, both proven goal scorers even if they haven’t been at their best recently.

• Half the chances McCleary and Vokes get recently are thanks to Mehmeti.

• Are there any residents in that part,a farm at the end closest to AP is all I can see?

• From what little I know, we don't play to Vokes strength. Vokes thrives (from memory), & scores most of his goals cut back from the bye line or crossed to the far post. We have been launching balls up in the air from nearer the halfway line as such he has very little opportunity to even get one on target let alone with any direction or power!

• Im really not sure what McCarthy offers us apart from energy, always struggles to get the ball under control.

his crossing is more hopeful, than accurate. His left foot is not worth mentioning !!

• Anis has been outstanding this season and has scored some brilliant goals himself, but he was not involved in 2 of the 3 goals scored by Vokes or in either of the goals scored by McCleary.

• I said chances, not goals

• If the road is to connect with the top diagonal part of the field, as viewed from the Frank Adams), that has a narrow road with houses on the right, doesn't it?

• edited November 2022

I thought it was a farm at the end, but could be a small collection of houses? Anyway I agree, @Malone, maybe we can't make that part one way. However, any road from the car park to the point it joins the adopted highway would be under the club's control so one way in or out as needed not an issue. The farm/houses might have an issue with inreased traffic 23 days a year but I guess we'd need to upgrade the adopted highway part anyway to accommodate the extra traffic.

The point I was trying to make originally was we might only need 250m of new road and an upgrade along the rest of the route. That would be less expensive and logistically easier than 1.5 mile of completely new road.

I think we've pretty much done RCs job on this now. Shall we discuss team tactics next?

• I'm fascinated to hear how Rob has seemingly succeeded where others have failed for 30-odd years (?), because it still sounds absolutely mental.

• @ReturnToSenda He did say something like, "subject to the necessary regulatory permissions". That didn't suggest to me that anybody had even spoken to the planners yet.

• I think two things are happening. Firstly, push the access/egress issue and go for planning permission for the road and increased capacity.

Secondly, if successful then review costs etc.

However, I think planning will get refused and discussion will turn to a new ground being required to match our ambitions.

• … maybe at that “world class facility planned at Little Marlow” of which there has been radio silence as of late.

• Call me fickle... but I would absolutely kick off if we ever moved to Marlow... the clue is in the name, we should never move to another town

• EFL clubs who don't play in the town they're named after? Grimsby - any more?

• Forest Green

• edited November 2022

Port Vale and Millwall.