Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall (FA Cup)

Comments

• edited November 2022

Getting XL players on the pitch, while likely to attract opposition from the EFL and traditionalist killjoys, seems a likely route to success.

• I know we were turgid yesterday, but the pen should have been retaken. The keeper is about 3 foot off his line

• It was Eastwood Town, we've never played Eastleigh.

• Just watched under the cosh with Stockdale. The issue with the club is that we have lost all the generals in almost 1 go. After my comment yesterday , Ainsworth should be given longer but a priority for January is to recruit some more generals/leaders as this could be what we are missing on and off the pitch.

• I’m not sure you can just recruit generals. That respect has to be earned through performance in the shirt and around the training ground … as well as reputation.

• edited November 2022

Careful. If you pointed this out in the summer and recruitment should have happened sooner to allow new players and leaders to gel in the off season, you were called a bed wetter.

I hoped the defensive frailties would start to be better after 10 games because of the late recruitment in key areas. But I fear this has been extended, after a little bounce in form, with injuries in the holding midfield position and with Taff/forino.

we will still be ok though btw. Our squad is strong but it’s in transition and hit with injuries in key areass

• MK Dons do not have a fanbase. They still give away loads of tickets each week and those that do pay to go will desert them in their droves as they drop down the leagues and out of existence

• edited November 2022

It was terrible and basically turned an innocuous cross into a sure fire goal. Wing’s half-hearted challenge in the build up isn’t good enough either.

The BBC highlights reel is basically a horror show.

Non-existent marking of the scorer of the first goal.

A seriously soft penalty and then Hanlan’s completely telegraphed effort.

• edited November 2022

Excellent post Andy. Sadly, I doubt any of the sentiment expressed will register at all with those who run the club.@A_Worboys

• edited November 2022

I keep finding myself this morning checking the score on the BBC website, somehow hoping yesterday's game was just a weird nightmare and we actually won 6-0. Time for a pint.

• I’ve just watched the highlights. Time for a jug of scrumpy and some shrooms.

• I'm not sure my old body could cope with that. Not the scrumpy and shrooms; the watching the highlights bit.

• edited November 2022

Look at them gesticulating at each other after the first goal. A recurring theme. Does anyone know what they're supposed to be doing at corners? As for the second goal... Laughing is the only mechanism I have left for coping with this shitshow.

• edited November 2022

I've had a the night to sleep on it, and I don't feel any better this morning. Atmosphere is poor, players heads seem to have dropped. Walsall, before yesterday had the worst away record in the league, we made them look a top of league one team. Our style of play isn't helping, I really think we need to mix it up a bit, rather than constant long balls, I'm pretty sure I saw a few of our players shaking their heads yesterday at certain times when we just kept doing the same thing over and over and losing the ball.

I'm not saying I want a change of management, Gareth has earnt the right to have a go at changing our fortunes. Someone said yesterday that GA shouldn't be sacked even if we get relegated, sorry but that's just ridiculous. This squad should be nowhere near the bottom of the league.

Things need to change soon or I'm afraid attendances like yesterday will become the norm, its meant to be entertainment and enjoyable, I can handle losing if we play well, but we're not. With the cost of living at the moment as well more and more people are likely to weigh things up and decide against it.

All this talk of expanding the ground is ridiculous, update and mend what we have for starters, get things right on the pitch then more will come, then we can talk about expansion.

• I try not to comment during games, or immediately after a disappointing defeat as emotions tend to overtake any kind of objective response. But I don't feel any less despondent today that I did driving home yesterday evening. For my money:

Wakely and Mellor shouldn't be anywhere near the first team at the moment. I feel a bit sorry for both, but neither is match sharp. Wakely took too many touches, slowing us down a fair bit and Mellor doesn't seem to have any idea of where he is supposed to be playing - and personally I think he lacks both a bit of ability and composure . Perhaps with a loan, or an extended run in the side they might develop, but playing bit parts here and there is going to weaken the side.

3 at the back was utterly unnecessary yesterday. I only want to see a 3 from now on if it's Mawson, Taf, and Forino. Otherwise, pick two of those and build from there.

I really like Kaikai, but he has to be played in the right position - and I don't think that's where he was yesterday. I'd have far preferred we line up with four at the back yesterday, and had Kaikai and Hanlan either side of Vokes - as McCleary and Mehmeti have been. He's another who is not going to add much without regular minutes in the same position. We all saw what he can do last season when he does get a chance. I'm not calling for him to start every game, but he could at least replace one of Garath or Anis as a substitute and he should have started midweek.

If Daryl Horgan doesn't start in games like yesterday, I'm not sure what the point of having him in the squad is.

Hanlan was fouled so often off the ball yesterday, Walsall did a real job on him. Someone needed to get in the referees ear about it early on, and keep pointing it out. That's a job for the captain, and I think Bloomfield or JJ would have taken on that role in times gone by.

The atmosphere was dismal (Walsall fans excepted). I know that I already started another thread about this, but it's feeling a bit of a viscious circle at the moment - crowd seem utterly reliant on being given something to get encouraged about; players seem to respond to the lack of encouragement. I get that's it's been tough recently, but when it's tough you need your fans to be the 'extra man'. The players could do a bit more too - how about having the pre-match huddle right in front of the terrace, and then giving everyone a big gee up? Anything to give us a bit of a spark and get things going.

There are some positives still, I think. De Baar look sharp when he came on - there was one lovely lay off for Anis, and his movement is good.

And we've always been a streaky side under Ainsworth. It's hard to remember when we're at the bottom of a trough, but he'll get us out of this one just like all the others. In the past, it's sometimes felt like we've stumbled into a change of system and then things have improved. We're only 4 points off the play-offs, and I'm still optimistic we can get there.

• The squad desperately needs an injection of new blood. Whilst none of us want to see Mehmeti leave, he is clearly too good for this League and won't be here next season. It might, in the great scheme of things, be for the best to sell him in January (with a high sell on percentage) and reinvest the funds in 3 or 4 new players particularly one of leadership ability.

With Forino and Taff both injury prone a centre half is needed and a pacey full back. Assuming Thomson is done for the season and Scowen out long term then two midfielders are also required. Regrettably JJ has reached the end of the road asca regular and perhaps Grimmer, Wheeler and Horgan need to move on to accommodate the new players. I know the latter is popular but bearing in mind he is one ohe high earners Gareth doesn't seem to use him much to warrant the expenditure.

• I've been watching since 1998 and our fanbase has not grown or has shrunk can only think most of our fans are older and we have a lack of younger fans.

• A January rebuild just isn't realistic. We need to soldier through this season and have a proper clear-out next summer (something we should have at least started this summer). That would also be a more natural time to change manager if that's what transpires.

• If we sell Mehmeti in Jan we'll have zero goal threat.

• Some of the players we should move on we should have moved on in the summer. Keeping Horgan and then not playing him is beyond stupid considering he will be one of the best paid players in the squad.

We are in November and I still don’t know what our best starting 11 is and what our best formation is.

As for criticism of Mellor above I can’t disagree but he should be used as an impact player. When legs are tired he’s ideal. As a starter he looks like an enthusiastic 11 year old.

• edited November 2022

Mehmeti needs to show greater consistency before the really serious offers start coming in, so we should be alright in January 🤞

• No offence - this is absolutely crackers. The lad is 21 and ripping up some decent L1 teams single-handedly. There will be serious offers.

• Not as serious as they'll be when he does that on a more consistent basis. That said, could we afford to turn down, say, £1m in Jan?

• I don't think even the most Trevor of posters could have envisaged just 2 draws from that run of 4 appetising home games.

I'm sure there must have been a bigger let down of a period before, but it feels a real downer.

• It’s entirely contextual. If there is only one club interested, we’d be silly to decline £1m. I’d be very surprised if there’s only one club interested. I know Fulham are still scouting him - and they’re premier league!

• Agreed with a lot of this.

Interesting you mention Hanlan being fouled a lot.

I thought De Barr was being utterly battered by their really big centre back. Literally shoving him away from the action, holding him, and on breakways just totally impeding the run. Amazing the linesman didn't see it or care at all.

Mawson seems to be cutting a bit of a frustrated figure as well. The number of times I could hear him swearing at the linesman was unreal.

Maybe he's like it every game and it's just I was in the main stand for once.

• GA said Scowen was very close to a return, I know our injury news is frustratingly limited but I don’t think he’d say that if he was genuinely out long term (whereas for Thompson we have said it’s long term).

• I think we can all agree that the team looks lacking in soul and character at the moment - largely due to the loss of leaders, but also due to the constantly changing line up/formations/injuries and poor form. We just need to play a 4 at the back and STICK WITH IT! Why we moved to a back 3 again yesterday was baffling. Our wing backs, on form certainly, are very, very average at this level and are not adding much to the team.

We all know we had a really poor close season in the Summer. Players renewed who should’ve left (JJ), players retained who, as the manager obviously doesn’t rate, should’ve been moved on (Kaikai, Horgan) and really poor recruitment (which we’ve done to death, regarding GK particularly). But for me our main error is that we have moved too quickly to the development team model and away from loans. When the extent of the injury crisis was known we should’ve been loaning 3 or 4 younger players from higher division teams to help the squad quality and depth (a pacy striker/winger, centre midfielder or 2, centre back) but we seem reluctant to use the loan system now which makes no sense to me. So, given the squad availability, we’re over-reliant on development players that are just not ready. Genuinely, what level do we think Dickinson, Wakely, Mellor, De Barr, Al Hamadi, Pattendon, Young, Leathers, Parsons etc would be a first team regular at right now? I would be absolutely ASTONISHED if any of those could hold down a regular spot in a NL side, 2 divisions below us. Yet we have used them all at times this season at our level. This is not criticising these players - I think they all have some potential. I would personally only expect Pattendon (possibly Young) out of those listed to forge any kind of professional career but who knows - in any case it’s been too much to expect of them right now and the team has suffered for it.

• I’m guessing that no national league clubs have enquired about Dickinson, Wakely, Mellor, De Barr, Al Hamadi, Pattendon, Young, Leathers, Parsons etc else they would have gone. And there in lies the rub.

• edited November 2022

They clearly saw something in Young to give him a three-year deal so soon after joining seemingly as a bit of a punt, but it's too early to say. I've never seen Leathers or Pattenden play so can't comment, but I agree with the rest bar Parsons - who has started Solihull Moors' last two league games and seemed to show a fair amount of promise at Bromley last season. Al-Hamadi and De Barr have also had National League loans.