Skip to content

Match day thread: Walsall (FA Cup)

Comments

• But was Ainsworth not angling for a move elsewhere taking interviews etc during the summer, I've see this mentioned? No gk, no proper friendlies, the whole thing was a disorganised sham.

A bit like todays game. Persisting with 5 at the back. Two particularly shocking performances performances from Wakely and Mellor. Kaikai played out of position as well. Vokes shaking his head as he jogged around. Tafa playing with his head down. Something isn't right.

• We can pick and choose JJ's games, and Obita has a great engine, that always stays the same, however the delivery is looking.

• He is quite two footed for a big centre-half, to the extent that he’d be quite comfortable in a left side role but he is definitely right footed.

He did ok today, in a difficult game for a young player to step up into. Carried the ball forward well at times in the complete absence of a midfield. Worth persevering with.

• Also, what is going on with mccarthy? Can't cross, can't track runners or defend. Surely it is time to go back to 4 at the back with Grimmer at right back.

• Yes, I think a quality defensive LB should be an absolute priority in the summer (if not January).

• McCarthy has worked himself into an almost undroppable position now - captain material, new general type fare.

It takes a lot to see Grimmer come in for him, which is a shame as Grimmer was quality in this league when he initially joined.

• Whilst the never too high never too low mantra is at the core of our management sometimes you have to call it as you see it. And everyone saw that (and the last 3 home performances) as shit. Maybe different elements of shit. But shit. Disorganised shit. Passionless shit. Technically shit. Commitment shit. Just shit. If Gareth doesn't agree then we are in trouble. Do I expect him to come out and say 'wow we can't cross to save our lives and what is that long ball nonsense to nowhere?' of course not. Do I expect him to acknowledge performances are unrecognisable from what we expect - I think I do.

We have never had the best team in the league. We have had the most committed and hard working team though. Not anymore.

• I said at the start of the season the team wasn't good enough and that the development squad was a waste of resources better used on the first team but as usual I was bullied by the usual minority on here wonder if they will apologise I doubt it.

• On a positive note (I felt it was needed). I thought that the minute's silence was respected impeccably by both sets of supporters.

Just a shame that no one in the terrace heard the refs 2nd whistle so continue to observe it for the following 90+ minutes.

• Ahh I knew we were missing something.

Do you ever pop up when we win?

• edited November 2022

Completely agree. Obita & McCarthy are the weak links in our team. If we have a fully fit first choice XI it is our wingbacks/fullbacks that would need improving still.

• Annoying as it is, especially in reflection of recent results, cup games aren't that much of a representation of form.

We were beaten by non league Eastleigh when we got promoted under Peter Taylor.

Did anyone really think we'd go up? Pundits certainly didn't.

Maybe a season of mid table is what's needed. We won't go down, but won't go up

It's annoying with the strength of our perfect starting 11, but based on injuries that hasn't been possible.

• I watched which foot he was kicking with at Northampton earlier in the season and while it did seem to be both, he looked like he preferred his left. I think he was also playing LCB that game which might make him look like he preferred his left though.

• edited November 2022

I don’t completely disagree with you. Just my concern is we’ll swap one frailty with another.

For what it’s worth, and in reflection, I don’t think LB is the issue currently and a switch to four at the back wouldn’t change our fortunes. with the lack of defensive midfield cover we have right now, the back 3 (or the would be 4) are trying to cover those players that are trying to run deep beyond them AND those that drop off. It’s causing mayhem everywhere.

• edited November 2022

First XL with everyone fit and in form would be superb.

We've managed to get to November without coming close to either unfortunately.

The only positive of going out today means we only have 2 fixtures in 4 weeks now.

That surely gives us a decent chance of getting one of Gape or Scowen back for the next home game.

• I have not commented on the last few games as I have generally agreed with the general consensus. Especially as regards the second halves of matches. However, today we saw the starting team set up with no ball players and Hanlan and KaiKai shown up to be not good enough. When Mehmeti and Freeman came on there was a buzz and intensity missing before. If they had come on when the score was 1-0 the end result would no doubt had been different. The performance of Mellor and De Baye was so good, it points to a good future. At the end of this season a good clear out is required. Obita I think is not good enough, McCleary is ageing, Vokes may not stay-e future could be bright. However, Ainsworth does need to become more expansive and trust the ball-players. Successful teams deliver football better than those teams around them, not the same as the rest.

• edited November 2022

"I've learned the difference between a big club and a little club: it isn't all that history and all that; it's the fact that we have a stadium right now which seats about 9,500 on its best days and [we're] drawing 6,000/6,500 - and we're competing this year against probably five clubs who are drawing well in excess of 20,000 per game. That means we are losing to them probably 5-6m dollars (!) of available revenue to spend on the team."

Deluded.

https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1588980478614315010

• Clueless, fickle, ungrateful, childish typical football fan. Or was it satire?

• edited November 2022

It was an innocent question, bloody hell. 'Clueless' is also rather ironic coming from someone who suggested Sam Vokes should be dropped.

• He's clearly from the build it and they will come school of thinking.

But you do need a vision and think big. Otherwise you can stay as you are.

I'm always interested in this "World wide Wycombe" business.

A few times you'll see some fans from Chile or Spain turn up, although you have the slight feeling that will drop off now Bayo has gone.

But I do wonder how much of the "overseas" viewing is the gasroom on vpn!

• Massively disappointing performance. 1st half really was unacceptable. 2nd half we did at least display some urgency, but the end product wasn't there.

Tough to pick any positives, but I'll try... Not convinced on his defensive capabilities yet, but Wakely did look very comfortable on the ball 2nd half. De Barr was bright when he came on, certainly an improvement on Kaikai and Hanlan who were both largely anonymous. That's about it. Mehmeti and Horgan both did well off the bench, but that's expected with their pedigree and also with how poorly we were playing.

• Unless I've horribly misinterpreted, he's talking like we could get our playing budget up to Ipswich levels. Not gonna happen - and, yellow brick access road or not, we will not even come close to selling out the ground regularly unless we're established in the Championship (which - and I was very optimistic about that being achievable – feels like an absolute pipe dream right now).

• edited November 2022

Yes you can't just magic up a fan base. As Man City show us.

The new road will be incredibly interesting how it pans out. How long does planning take? How long does actual building it take?

Assume it'll just be across the field, to link up with the existing roads, although those are fairly narrow aren't they?

Would probably still be quite slow going leaving - just you'd have the choice of 2 slow moving roads, not one.

• I think you are, he's basically just said we need to increase gates and revenue from other sources if we want to increase the playing budget. Every chairman we've ever had has said that. I must have missed the bit where he said some fireworks and an approach road will suddenly take us from 5000 to 20,000, or maybe he never said it.

• How is the world wide Wycombe thing going? I have been wondering for a number of weeks about the La Media inglesa lot. I don’t think it’s us, but Can’t say I have seen that much of a buzz around us this year with them as there was last year. They seem to have shifted away from lower league stuff to another premier league focused channel? And gone a bit more, dare I say, professional?

• I'd imagine the benefit of a second access road is that cars could begin to exit immediately without having to wait for pedestrians. Clearly that's going to help people getaway from the stadium parking quicker.

Can't see it being enough to attract another 3k people to each home game though!

• edited November 2022

Come on here with some positive thoughts when we win a game and you won’t be ‘bullied’.