Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

123457»

Comments

• And long may it continue! Nothing* makes me happier as a Wycombe supporter than to see the opposition start to do exactly that.

*well obviously lots of things do but in the moment…

• MK did it really well last season. So have numerous other teams. A lot of coaches try it without accepting the limitations of their players, but it's perfectly doable at any level.

• I was never 100 per cent convinced by Stockdale, although at the same time I did think we had the best keeper in League One. If that makes any sense.

Sometimes there seemed to be a bit an element of ego or over confidence in his own ability that could lead to him not fully concentrating on doing the job properly and professionally. Wembley being the epitome of that really.

That said when he was on it, as he usually was, he was outstanding. The best example being his performance at MK, without which we wouldn’t have got to Wembley in the first place.

Overall we were lucky to have Stockdale and now we’re very lucky to have Max.

• Except last season MK Dons were outstanding playing in this manner.

• I was never convinced by Wing but he does look much better deeper. Good to see.

• I agree that trying to play PL football in League One is a very risky tactic and our style, though widely criticised, is far more effective. Also, GA - the manager some people think is tactically naive- deserves credit yesterday for his plan to man mark their players whenever the goalkeeper had the ball leaving him with so few options.

• edited October 2022

Bit easy slagging Stocko off after we replaced him. The obvious error in the final was preceded by him keeping almost everything put in his direction out for weeks if not months before. He'd save that 99 times out of a hundred and to suggest he missed it that time out of ego rather than bad luck is insulting.

I think Alfie fills in for any loss in distribution or leadership and Max looks like another find for the bargain hunt reel. We aren't the finished product by any means but if we can stay solid defensively our forwards who sometimes look brilliant and sometimes look they've never met can fire us a long way up the table.

• It usually goes like this. Keeper to centre half. Centre half to keeper. Keeper to other centre half. The ball has moved 18 yards by this time. Opposition presses. Centre half looks absolutely terrified. Looks to pass it back again. Kicks ball long or straight into touch.

I’m so pleased that even with 2 footballing central defenders this stupidity hasn’t infected us

• Exactly. Mawson is one of the most comfortable on the ball defenders we've ever had but I'm so glad we don't indulge in the high risk approach outlined above. By the way, may I subscribe to the the AG fan club. I'm sure there is probably a waiting list but he was there at beginning of my WWFC journey!!

• I call it football snobbery. It’s frowned upon when teams like Wycombe prefer to start playing in the opposition half rather than making half-a-dozen passes in their own half where the risk of losing possession is that much greater. The great Barcelona side could pass their way into dangerous positions, Manchester City are brilliant at it now, but trying to play PL style football with League One players is hugely ambitious.

• Also suicidal as MK are finding out. Looking at the way they played on Saturday, they need to get a grip and quickly or they will be going down.

• edited October 2022

Silly comments by their manager, might have made sense after the second leg of the semi where they did attack pretty much non stop and out play us but it didn't happen on Saturday and they were largely ineffective, funny how they rarely reference the first leg when we slapped them for a good hour setting up the tie.

• God I love this club we may not be the biggest but there’s something there something special