Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• MK had the fourth-highest squad turnover this summer. We had the second-lowest.

• Can't really make many statements based on that, as the current top 7 are represented on all 4 tiers of that grid.

• Yeah, no correlation and I can see why MK took the loan-heavy approach last season - it very nearly worked for them.

• Reminds me of Hereford a few years ago. Very heavy on the loans, had a great season. Then a disaster the next season.

Though they didn't ship a 4m player though!

• Must have been more than a few years ago if it was Hereford!

• "Very nearly" according to Manning's interview has been the problem for them this season.

"Very nearly" in most people's book, is not good enough.

• We really should have seen that game off much earlier. Still feel like Mccleary and Vokes have a lot more in the locker if they can find form and fitness. Had the front 3 clicked fully today we would have been out of sight.

Great performance from Max. Some excellent saves and massively improved kicking. More of that please.

Superb to see Freeman back from a lengthy injury and making two match winning contributions in consecutive games.

Franchise players looked like they have no real idea how to execute their passing strategy effectively. Watching their keeper wander halfway up the pitch and then flight the same cross field ball time and time again was quite bizarre.

• I can’t believe anyone could watch the game today and think that the manager of that lacklustre, one-note, inept team would be a good replacement for Ainsworth if he leaves. Other than Burton they are the worst side we’ll play this year.

• Just seen Max's save. My word, probably his best yet!

• edited October 2022

We aren't suddenly going to start spraying it about and wil probably always play on the break with the current manager, shouldn't really be a problem or surprise, it's better in a lot of ways than the fake purists who give the ball away in their own box showing off and get offended by opposition teams using those horrible dark arts : Defending and practicing set pieces. It's reactive and open but we are significantly better than we were earlier in the season if only because we aren't leaking goals and then heads go down. Once Scowen and Gape are back (/ Finally Curtis / sadly having to get someone else in if at least two of those can't play a bit more regularly) we'll hold the ball more.

• I can't believe MK have gone from being so good at playing out from the back to completely inept since last season. They've got the same goalkeeper and have made one CB signing (who didn't play today) as far as I can tell. It's really funny.

• Yet still believe they can play the same way.

Twine, Darling and Parrott are BIG losses.

They had the wing back on loan from Villa and the winger from Wolves too.

I thought that Boateng looked handy in the playoffs too (was that his name?). They let him go...

Not easy to replace 3 players like that.

• Maybe teams have worked MK out. It was noticeable that when their keeper had the ball we went man to man all over the pitch which resulted in him looking clueless and punting it up field.

I'm not sure why Anis and GMac played on different sides to usual yesterday, obviously tactical, but clearly wasn’t working that well. Frustrating that they didn’t switch back at some point.

However a big win today and enjoyed the away day. Well done to Nick Freeman, Max and Alfie were immense

COYB

• They flogged David Kasumu to Huddersfield too, so in all they’ve lost about 6 or 7 players and don’t seem to have recruited (or borrowed) to the same standard.

I thought they were terrible yesterday, definitely in trouble.

• No highlights on YouTube?

• Imagine if Oxford, Franchise and Col U all go down. Would be incredible scenes

Frankly in that scenario anything we managed to achieve would merely be a bonus

• And we finish above Derby, Peterborough and Plymouth

• Finishing above Plymouth may be a stretch at the moment…

• I nearly fell asleep during that interview. I'm sure he's a lovely chap but doesn't seem the most inspiring individual.

• Really good point, Anis was pretty ineffective on the right. If he’d have been in the same positions on the left in the second half I think he’d have scored a goal or two. Hopefully back to the left on Tuesday.

• I don't think we have played to dissimilarly to the games away at Sheff Weds and Derby in some respects, it's just Oxford and MK were just nowhere near as good as Weds and Derby.

We could and probably should have put the game to bed in the first 70 minutes. After Anis chose not to shoot his ball to Vokes was really poor.

Overall things are looking up. The bench is getting stronger week by week. I expect we will be in and around the play-offs again.

Next five league games are all very winnable - Cambridge, Morecambe, Port Vale, Forest Green, Cheltenham. I'd be surprised if we win 8 on the bounce just because we haven't finished teams off for quite some time. Wouldn't it be great though to have 35 points on the board after 19 games. That's play-off form.

I think we can just about get away without having Scowen for next 5 games but we definitely need him back and firing for December.

COYB!

• edited October 2022

Second half we were much better and were a real threat - the game should have been out of sight by 75 minutes but our profligacy in the final third continues to be a bit of a theme. When we pass the ball we look a very good side, and when we get the ball into Vokes’ feet he looks a brilliant player at this level. I’m baffled why we don’t try this more often. I agree 100% that we don’t need possession for possession’s sake but when we do have the ball we have the players to play progressive passes on the floor and still move quickly through the thirds.

I actually agree in a lot of ways with @drcongo that we are still generally not playing that well. But we are moving back towards better. And if we can just keep in touch with the play offs for now that will be good enough for if and when we really do click.

Generally, we still need Scowen back pronto. We are twice the team with him in midfield and really miss his protection of the back 4, and intelligent and high quality passing to get the team moving forward. But we do have some absolute stars at this level. Mawson is incredible and gets better every week. Forino is class. Tafazolli is a top player and needs to come in for JJ immediately (who I though had a nightmare yesterday). If we use Vokes right, he is class. Mehmeti and McLeary are great players. Wing looks excellent in the deeper role. We do look a bit weaker at full back but McCarthy and Obita can be great players when on form and are certainly solid at all times. Freeman is doing a great job and his goal yesterday was sublime.

And Stryjek, oh Max Stryjek. He is a superstar. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now. I think he’s better than Stockdale and has the ability to play at a higher level. His shot stopping is top drawer.

So with so many great players I really hope we do start to get the ball down and play a bit more and generally be a bit more positive in our approach. It’s there for us this season if we keep players fit and take the bull by the horns.

A last word on MK, they were a really, really poor side and were the worst example of short and sideways passing I can remember - so negative and stilted. They’re in real trouble.

• Kicking aside, Max is definitely better than Stocko.

• Am I the only one who was never 100% convinced by Stockdale?

Max has already convinced me.

• That was a horrendous first half yesterday. MK look diabolical this season. Good result, although we should have hit the net a few more times. Good to build some momentum.

• I’ve bored on about this before but teams playing out from the back and dropping centre halves into the box at goal kicks is total bollocks at this level. They watch Citeh do it on match of the day and think ‘cool, let’s do that’. No. No. No. You aren’t good enough. Your keeper isn’t a good enough footballer. It always ends in disaster. Coaches are idiots at this level for trying. Players are idiots for believing they are good enough to pull it off.