Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• edited October 2022

We can celebrate the 3 points for sure but it could have been so different. I would have been fuming if we hadn’t won we were so wasteful in front of goal. GMac and Anis seemed to be in the same head space. A rare occasion. I would have liked to have seen Hanlan on at 65 or 70 minutes. Surely he would have given that fat ginger turd a thing to think about.

• MK ground was so empty. Apparently there were ‘officially’ c.6000 franchise customers there but that must be counting STHs as there’s no way there were that many in the ground. Just goes to show what happens when your fanbase is made up from local mercenaries with no actual loyalty. They will fade away further as they disappear off the face of the earth.

• Bit harsh on Ed Sheeran, that

• Such a fall from grace from MK I thought today. It just shows that you have 1 good season with your squad largely made up of good loan players and you do well. Replace them with bad loan players and you perform that badly! No confidence / class in their youth system and having to steal others clubs players for a season!

• edited October 2022

If only they'd sold a player for £4m this summer... Oh wait. It just smacks of crap recruitment.

• And they have hardly touched that money to re-invest it into the squad. Nail of the head with the piss-poor recruitment @ReturnToSenda

• Just got the bus to MKC and there was honestly two young MK fans debating whether they should support MK or Northampton. Not, as far as I could tell, borne out of frustration, but a genuine discussion.

• edited October 2022

Tom - I thought last season you (and others) were raving about the brilliance of their Head of Recruitment (can't remember his name) and their recruitment generally. Is he still there? What has gone wrong?

• Encouraging scenes. If even the young are giving up on them the end can't be very far off.

• edited October 2022

Liam Sweeting - still there, not quite sure what's gone on. Louie Barry felt like a high risk, high reward loan and it's not paid off so far. I'm not sure they'd have signed Will Grigg had he not previously played for them either - doesn't seem like a natural fit for their philosophy. Oh well, nice to see them struggle.

• Just back.

One of the most comfortable 1-0 wins you'll see. Looked a really lovely goal from Freeman.

But countless times we were rampaging down the wing and couldn't quite make it happen.

As per @TheAndyGrahamFanClub we'd have been fuming if we'd let that one slip.

However, the win is the only stat that matters, and the goals can come another week.

It's so tight in midtable we now need to capitalise on this little run of favourable home fixtures.

On another note, how good was that bench looking again?

• Who did Twine go to ? Can't remember, certainly havnt heard his name mentioned this season

• Nathan Holland is another that promised so much in his early career and is now being subbed off by the team at the bottom of league 1. Feel for the guy.

• Not a classic but a well deserved three points in a game we should have won more comfortably than we did. Big thumbs up to Nick Freeman and Chris Forino who were outstanding again, and another mention for Stryek for a couple of crucial saves and much improved kicking. Find of the season for me.

• edited October 2022

I would agree with @ReturnToSenda - before the season I noted that if someone was told in 1986 that in 2022 the third tier would include Accrington, Burton, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Forest Green, Morecambe and Wycombe, they would have been astounded. However, it is quite possible we lose four of those seven with the way things are going. Mind you, if MK went down it would be a club that did not even exist in 1986, let alone being in non-league!

I do think the third tier is the most interesting division, because it really is where the rich meet the poor and the big meet the small. To think that those seven clubs referenced are not only in the third tier but sharing it with Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton and Barnsley, it is quite the eclectic division!

• The abbreviated match highlights never cease to amaze - they only show MK chances in the second half! If someone watched that they would think we were under the cosh for the second 45.

• How the mood has changed. I/we said all along that this recent run of games was going to shape our season.

Plymouth, we were unlucky. Peterborough amazing, Oxford and MK were always potentially tricky ties as they are/were in a similar situation to us. We have come through that test and I think Peterborough, especially, has defined our season.

A run of 5 games now against teams that we should beat (on paper at least). We could be right back in the thick of it.

With players coming back, and no more injuries - let's see.

MK are the prime example of why you don't loan too many players. You build a solid team for one season and then you remove the key components the next - how is that good for the future? It's obviously something that we have identified and credit to our recruitment team for that.

• Agreed about Max - fantastic shot-stopper and as you say better kicking today. Can’t think of a poor kick from him today.

• Much happier times for sure. I am still concerned about the inability to put opponents away when dominating, and also the substitutions (I think most agreed that Hanlan coming on earlier with those spaces opening up would have been fantastic). Can't do anything but rejoice about the turn around in results though, ESPECIALLY considering it was Oxford, Posh and Voldemort FC who we beat along the way. With a good run (on paper) of fixtures yet to come, there is no reason we can't hoist ourselves into the playoff conversation, which considering the only person openly confident of that (that I can think of) three games ago was @eric_plant, it is quite the turnaround!

• Also refreshing to hear an opposition manager praising what we do. Also, seems a bit defeatist or stubborn in the fact that he almost admits he doesn't want to change the way he plays. I feel that the squad we have is capable of doing that - it's the best "footballing" squad we have ever had. They are capable of playing football, but it's not GA's philosophy.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2022/october/press-conference-liam-mannings-wycombe-wanderers-reaction2/

• Well, they stole a place in the football pyramid, so why not other teams players? 😊

• We won three of the four games I couldn’t watch. I hope you’re all looking forward to a turgid defeat against Cambridge on Tuesday.

• Max reminds me a little of Peter Schmeichel the way he throws out limbs last minute to block anything that's thrown at him. Great signing!

• I’m not getting carried away, out of these three victories I think we’ve only played well for about 60 minutes. Most of today’s game was pretty poor, loads of head tennis and aimless punting, entire first half of the posh game was the same, 90% of the Oxford game. I want to see us actually dominate a game and score a decent number of goals before I get too excited.

• Despite the club he represents, Manning is a classy manager and conducts himself well. Always seems to genuinely complement our side, rather than a lot of other managers who tend to hold too much of a grudge to say anything further than a begrudged gritted-teeth acceptance that ‘you know what you’re going to get with Wycombe’ and / or ‘they’re good at what they do’.

I hope GA is here for years to come, but if the time came for him to move onto bigger things and Manning was available, I can’t think of many better appointments at this level.

• I agree with this. I think they recruited badly last year and this. Loan signing don't create a good squad harmony. It's plain to see he is a good manager and actually talks sense.

So many teams complain about Wycombe's style of play. More often than not, teams that we have beaten or upset!

I LOVE that we finally have an identity. I couldn't care less if people don't like it. They have not experienced the joy of supporting Wycombe Wanderers.