Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• Clearly @arnos_grove you are not reading the original post. "I can't stand any of them", "Westminster is a cesspit of corruption regardless of the colour of the rosette" & "I have lost interest in politics" which were mentioned in the post, really should give you a clue?

Politics is one topic that I rarely comment on, as like religion it can divide friends & family. I only commented this time as I had clearly stated that I don't like any party, which I thought would keep me "neutral".

• Sorry @EwanHoosaami but I’m afraid I feel the need to wade into the debate.

“Representing the UK on an international stage, I would deem as important & given her history of MH could make her unpredictable.”

And the actions and behaviours of our two most recent holders of the most important political position in this country, who to the best of my knowledge have not been diagnosed with mental health problems, have been predictable?

I don’t remember the specifics of Diane Abbots issues, but I do know a lot of mental health issues can be successfully managed with therapy and/or drugs and therefore should not on their own be a sufficient reason to prevent anyone from holding many positions.

• The key words there @bookertease , " therefore should not on their own be a sufficient reason to prevent anyone from holding many positions". I personally believe that having overall responsibility for the UK borders & security, (which I can only presume would be places like GCHQ, etc), is in my humble opinion one of those that would be at the very least shaky ground.

Would you consider the likes of Lucy Letby, Genuine Jones and Beverley Allitt as suitable candidates for baby care after "treatment"? I know they are extreme examples, but the importance of both roles isn't IMHO.

Anyway, some of you see it one way, I see it another & is a perfect example of why I rarely comment on two of the most divisive topics there are.

• Actually @EwanHoosaami i think that is exactly why you should feel free to comment more on divisive topics.

We may disagree, but you have put forward an articulate argument which has made me think more about the subject, which is never a bad thing.

• Thank you, always nice to "debate" and I would more often but more often than not the debate descends into insults.

Back to more WWFC things now. 😉

• Brilliant, but very disturbing (especially if it’s true that anyone, anywhere in the world, can become a member of the Conservative Party.)

it’s very scary that we face the prospect of the existing cohort that he describes making the choice between Rishi and Boris. James O’Brien on LBC at 10 am tomorrow will be an interesting listen. He’ll be apoplectic.

• @micra sadly it does appear to be true, make up a name, pay your £5 & vote for your sociopathic clown of choice

• What makes it worse is that the process for choosing the candidates hasn't been that .Uche harder.

• I thought I'd heard it reported on the news that he'd been rejuvenated and was back for another stint.

My God, I thought, they've only gone and made Boris PM again, it's like a dreadful Sci-fi show that past its best decades ago.

Then I looked up and saw David Tennant was back as Dr Who.

My relief was palpable...

• Back in March, we had a young Asian lad here sorting out a broadband problem. The conversation turned to politics for some strange reason - Boris’s future must already have been up for grabs, I suppose - and I mentioned that I thought Rishi Sunak would be the next Prime Minister. The lad from BT surprised me by being surprised by what I’d said.

Of course, I was wrong (though not by much).

• Seriously couldnt make this up

The bloke who came second to the woman who lasted less time than a lettuce in a vote of the octagenarian racist members of the Party is now leader because the members weren't afforded a vote this time round & his mates got to select him; presumably for shit & giggles all round.

• edited October 2022

If Penny Mordant had crossed the line, the membership would no doubt have voted her in. Crazy.

• I'm no political expert like most of the gasroom are, but it seems to be on a strict "can't do any worse" basis he's in.

• edited October 2022

No Tory here but realistically there will not be an election for a good while yet.

If Sunak can provide a little bit of sanity and move away from the chaos, conflict, culture wars and incompetence of the Johnson years and the even more incompetence of the Truss days and begin to bring our economic woes under control, then he will have done us all a favour. I wish him well.

Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss - each Prime Minister (after Blair - probably the best of my generation) worse than their predecessor. Surely that trend must stop now.

• Even Truss was a better PM than that straw-topped turd Johnson

• I’d be tempted to say Cameron as the worst, setting everything up for those to come with austerity and Brexit.

• The duo of Cameron and Gideon Osborne were devious rascals, Johnson is just Johnson !! A shambolic bullshitting power mad lazy charlatan.

I think Truss had the potential to be the most heinous since Thatcher, but her reign of terror was thankfully cut short.

• Exactly so. Whatever you think of those who came before and after him, you can draw a straight from today's chaos to David Cameron.

• Truss is (thankfully was) the worst PM in history and would have totally destroyed the economy of this country within six months. How this mad woman even got voted in as a MP is unbelievable.

• You're right. I was just letting what a fundamentally vile person Johnson is obscure my judgement.

• Ultimately I wonder whether the Truss* weeks will be remembered in the long term as one of the best things to have happened politically and economically to the UK.

it should finally but paid to the Neo-liberal bollocks that rich people paying less tax is a “good thing” that will help economic growth and may finally bring a long (long) overdue reset in the Great British Public’s view to understanding that if we do want to live in a fair, civilised country where people are housed, fed and educated we will have to pay our fair share.

(Short term it is a level of self-inflicted stupidity akin to Brexit that will make lives hard (and in some cases impossible) for millions of people).

*How on earth did anyone listen to her and not think she was a raving lunatic who should be calmly told to pursue a proper career.

• The hope that he might move away from chaos, conflict and culture wars didn’t last long then. He’s always been further to the right than Johnson.

• The Braverman appointment is indeed disappointing @Chris . I think he may live to regret that one - she is a loose cannon.

looks like I might have to venture out onto the streets come election time after all….

• edited October 2022

“A loose cannon” has to be the understatement of the day. And just disappointing? Hmmmm. Within four hours of his carefully crafted and superficially encouraging words about a new era of Integrity, Professionalism and Accountability (not to be confused with Rebellion IPA) Rashee appoints as Home Secretary, no less, someone sacked a week ago for a serious breach of parliamentary protocol (or whatever rule it was that she breached).

So a brief glimpse of the possibility of a more grown-up, decent regime is scuppered in one fell swoop.

Oh, my days.

For a more comprehensive analysis of the political events of the last 24 hours, tune in to the redoubtable James O’Brien on LBC.

Oh, and PMQs should be lively in a few minutes time.

• I apparently owe Ms Braverman an apology. She resigned. Wasn’t sacked.

• Post I will regret...

I like Sunak. He's a grown up. He's intelligent. He may struggle to connect with the public at large when he has to deliver policy as I think he will try to speak as if he is speaking to equals as opposed to appealing to the masses (I mean this as a back handed compliment).

• You didn’t catch PMQs today then?

A couple of ‘but, Corbyn’ type answers and some culture war nonsense.

I will grant you he is an improvement on what has recently preceded him. I don’t think he has the delusion of Truss or the lying instinct of Johnson.

Considering his cabinet, he really does need to appeal to the more rabid elements to maintain control.