Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• MPs disgracing themselves, clearing off, by their choice or by force, taking a bit of time out and and then turning up like bad penny's is nothing new unfortunately.

Johnson's claim to be able to do so is based on actually winning an election but that would piddle all over his many ongoing enquiries and proven offences and the fact he only got elected by claiming to have a sealed and delivered brexit / NI border solution. How'd that work out?

• Already MPs who helped to get rid of Johnson a few weeks ago are now supporting his return...

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1583477332505133056?s=20&t=oUXiFRflE0V1lHy72Zqo0g

Chaos is the right word!

• Could've been worse, could've been Laour in charge.

In all seriousness, although I get why people don't want it to happen this time of the year, I think a general election should be called, let's see if Labour will be as good as they say they will be, doubt it as they never are, but let's see. It's been a complete shitshow by the Tories, laughing stock. Trouble is, we're f@$ked, as they are all as bad as each other !

• Without wanting to dip my toe into this beyond murky pool it has now dawned on the Tories that Johnson was the best they had. Politics has long gone in terms of having the best person in charge so it is the person who most connects. And Johnson connects with enough people to get them and keep them in power. It's an ugly truth.

The sooner Labour come to realise that they cannot rely on the voters not wanting to vote Tory the sooner they might get into power. As a raft of local council elections have shown recently the anti-tory vote has split into Labour, Lib-Dem, Green etc and therefore have resulted in Tory wins and even gains. Labour needs to make itself an attractive proposition and not simply 'well we are not them'.

• edited October 2022

I can't recall which tv presenter it was, but she was obviously scared at becoming the latest in a long line to get his name wrong.

So every time she said Hunt she made sure she banked the "h" sound early, not quite stammer style, but really dwelt on the hhhhhh before allowing a safe hhhhhhunt to not allow the obvious to creep out.

• edited October 2022

They are really not all the same. There are some seriously good constituent MPs on both sides of the House who work quietly and tirelessly. We don’t hear from them as they tend not to be as ambitious or craving of publicity.

Its lets the liars and cheaters off the hook if we tar them all with the same brush.

• Yeah that's a fair point tbh... it just bloody grinds you down sometimes

• Sadly, in so many ways Labour under Keith Starmer have turned into "Tory Lite" (yes please do think of those awful septic "lite" beers), they are basically offering a slightly more polite, slightly less corrupt, slightly less insane version of what we have now, combined with the worst controlling, centrist central office of any party.

These are the self-same idiots that made up the "anti-semitism" smear against Corbyn & his fellow travellers, colluding with the MSM to spread their vitriol far and wide & lose thier own party the chance of an election victory. Oh how it has come full circle now that the likes of the Board of Deputies is accusing the BBC of anti-semitism LOL. These are the people who are continuing to behave like Stalin or Mussolini etc by purging party members for liking tweets by members of other parties, or for criticism of Sir Keith.

Sir Keith is about as inspiring as yesterday's greasy paper wrapped around what is left of that fish supper you had. He has no discernible leadership qualities & I have yet to hear a speech of his that contains a call to action, sadly it is never anything but bland management speak. He manages to make John Major look positively vibrant & colourful.

Until Labour, at an absolute minimum, support PR, propose the taking back of power/water/rail/bus into some semblance of common ownership & the introduction of effective residential rent controls (there is lots more I want to see but these are the barest minimum) then I cannot in all honesty vote for them as the are not event the faintest of pink social democrats.

• Surely the number one priority for any non-Tory voter (i.e. anyone with a functioning brain) is to boot the rotten lot out at the next election? In which case, what's the effective alternative to voting Labour?

• I also disagree that a British PM has to be some kind of inspirational figure. I'm no massive Starmer fan, but I'd absolutely rip your hand off for 'just fine' right now.

• All that Keith stuff is a bit dull now, yes he's a bit boring and not as far to the left as some would like, and a bit prone to not committing too early to stuff he has no influence over for fear of being tarred as one thing or the other, he's even pushed away some traditional members away as part of a concerted effort to appear electable.

The Tories on the other hand have cut everything for years claiming stability, massively tanked the economy anyway, ruined public services are absolute shits to anyone who disagrees with them or is vulnerable and have made decisions in the last decade that could ruin opportunities for decades. They're also all on the bloody take and have made personal fortunes out of every one of the crises that has affected the country.

I don't think they are all the same but even if they are it's high time the current lot get told to sling their hooks and a different lot get a chance to be self centred and corrupt.

• edited October 2022

The last paragraph of the @micra post has summed it up for me. As far as I am concerned Westminster is a corrupt cesspit regardless of the colour of the rosette. The general appearance, is that most are in it for what they can get out of it with their collective noses in the tax payers trough. At the minute the Tories have made a shit show of it since they won the last GE, have made personal fortunes out of every disastrous event that has occurred and only looked after themselves. Looking at the shadow cabinet, I just couldn't cast my vote their way with the likes of Angela Rayner & her mingegate scandal, Diane Abbot who would have been Home Secretary had they won the last GE, in charge of homeland security etc, with a history of mental health issues! David Lammy & Dawn Butler who appear to be single issue politicians about racism, not without total merit & both have expenses scandals that got found out as well as many others on both sides.

To be honest, between the two main parties it has put me off politics totally. Where are the old guard politicians whom I might not have agreed with, but at least they had integrity or have I just got older & wiser and can see through the gossamer of deceipt easier?

• Plenty of things I’m not keen on in that post, but the one that stands out to me is that you think people with ‘a history of mental health issues’ shouldn’t be in a position of responsibility?

• Mind estimates that one in 4 people have mental health issues each year. Does @EwanHoosaami seriously think that they should all be precluded from being an MP or holding any other responsible post? If so, that is a very sad and discriminatory view.

• Wtf is 'mingegate'?

• I struggle to recall the last MP who left Westminster poorer than when they first entered its doors; so yes they are to a degree in it for themselves & also now view it as a career rather than a vocation.

One of many things that should have happened, but the Tories blocked it, was the prohibition on second jobs whilst being an MP; surely £84k plus expenses & pension is enough. After all they are employed to serve their constituents interests not those of their secondary employer.

• edited October 2022

Well done for keeping the mood lighter 🤣

(The second one, won't let me delete the wrongly quoted top post!)

• I often want to delete or edit (naughty) embedded quotes. Can’t be done.

The edit point applied in a lighthearted deliberately unfinished (ie ……..’) post from @Twizz about tin bath etc activities once the curtains are closed.

• Yes, wtf indeed. We’re all dying to know.

Well, maybe not all of us.

• 'Mingegate' wouldn't even get a look in if we were listing the top 50 things bad things done by politicians (mostly wearing a blue rosette) in the last five years. It is very small beer and I'm not entirely sure that it merits the term 'scandal'. If that's the best the tories have got, it's not looking good.

No mention of Starmer's donkey field scandal yet though...

• I do. Didn’t want to presumptuously speak for all and sundry.

• Come on guys, I’m desperately and unashamedly looking to break the 700 barrier on them thumbs up.

No chance of catching @Malone. He lives on the Gasroom.

• Just click on the post in the edit field and a trashcan appears, click that, gone.

• Cheers. Just what the doctor ordered.

• I believe you have a higher post count oldest and dearest son.

It might be a quality of post issue 😚

• Did I say "all" anywhere @mooneyman? I certainly believe that Diane Abbot should never be allowed to hold a post as serious as Home Secretary, probably the second most powerful position in the UK. In charge of the overall security of the UK is a pretty important position in my view. Representing the UK on an international stage, I would deem as important & given her history of MH could make her unpredictable. Labour clearly thought so, as they pulled her from giving live radio interviews. I didn't say she couldn't be an MP, that is for her constituents and party to decide.

• What are your views on the current Home Secretary @EwanHoosaami ? Or his short-lived predecessor?

For all her faults, I don’t think Diane Abbot sported multiple fake identities while running ‘get rich quick’ schemes. Or claimed to have contributed to legal textbook by virtue of doing some photocopying.

Are/were they worthy of this serious post?