Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• Coventry given eviction notice from the Ricoh. Some kind of wrongun axis of evil there at the moment, SISU and all the existing parties, what's left of Wasps, Mike Ashley and William Storey, the idiot who keeps saying he's going to buy clubs and F1 teams on the back of a non existent drinks brand.

• Amazing result from England against Pakistan today, rivetting stuff at the end.

• What a brilliant end to test match, which would have been 5 days of absolute boredom with any other away team playing on that surface.

Regardless of the result I do hope the groundsman gets the feedback he deserves for an atrocious pitch.

• edited December 2022

I can’t think of any previous captain being brave enough to engineer a result on that surface. Hats off to you Ben Stokes.

• edited December 2022

And I thought football fans were hard to please ....

1700+ runs scored

37 wickets taken

Match result uncertain until almost the end of the fifth day, and as you acknowledge a brilliant end.

• It's gone under the radar somewhat, because of coverage behind a paywall, and the distraction of the World Cup, but that was one of England's greatest ever Test wins.

The boldness of the tactics to score more than 900 runs, at more than six and a half over, the skill and perseverance of the bowlers in the heat on a lifeless pitch, including 40 year old Anderson showing his enduring class on the final day, was remarkable. There were many superb performances, my favourite was Ollie Pope keeping wicket for only the seventh time in first-class cricket, taking seven catches in 251 overs behind the stumps, and scoring a quick fire century as well.

The bravery of captain and coach, to maintain the relentless scoring rate, and to set Pakistan a realistic target to make a result possible, is worthy of the highest praise. Stokes said he wants Test cricket to be as exciting as the shorter formats, well he is certainly delivering. He is clearly an inspirational captain, you can see that in the way the players react to him, and to each other as team spirit shines through.

With several good young players coming through, interestingly well experienced in the shorter formats, this could be a golden period for the England Test Team in the next few years.

• Unbelievably tense during that final half hour @LX1. Incredible match. And to think that I shouted “fucking idiot” at the TV yesterday when Stokes threw away his wicket and I felt at the time (Root had also just played a ridiculous shot to get out) that England weren’t going to be able to set a challenging target. At that point I could see them snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But what would I know.

Roll on Thursday.

• Pretty much word for word what I was thinking as well @micra ! Good job Stokes is captain instead of me really

• I think you miss the point! If England hadn't have done three things that I believe no other test team in the history of test cricket have done then this would have been a shockingly boring match, which I feel the groundsman/PCB should still get reprimanded for.

They scored the most runs in history on day 1 of a test.

Their run rate was double the run rate of Pakistan and was the highest rate ever in a test match.

The declaration was unprecedented. 342 runs off 100+ available was probably the bravest declaration ever made.

Those three things are highly unusual and rarely seen in a test match, to string them altogether and come away with a brilliant win was a masterstroke which could have easily had us 1-0 down in the series. If England had not tried one of those things then it would have undoubtedly been the most boring of draws.

You only need to look at the previous test played at Rawalpindi, 8 months earlier, as evidence of how tests are typically played on those types of pitches. Pakistan 476/4 declared, Australia then got 459 and Pakistan 252 for no wicket. What a waste of 5 days cricket for the spectators and teams.

I want to see an even battle between bat and ball, where it is a "test" for both batsman and bowler. Two matches ago at Rawalpindi the groundsman produced a beauty for the match against South Africa, so it can be done. Regardless of the result, a poor pitch should be called out.

• If the Not Football thread can be about anything then constantly hearing about Harry and Meghan is doing my nut. I couldn’t give a hoot about them.

If the Not Football thread should stay sport related then please accept my apologies!

• Maybe don't post about them if you don't want to hear more about them.

• You are spot on, @Commoner, about the three factors which led to that remarkable sequence of events on the last afternoon of the match. I assume Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum have decided that Test cricket needs a kick up the proverbial if it is to continue to attract big crowds in these days of limited patience and increasing poverty.

Having said that, we are fortunate in this country that we are generally guaranteed capacity or near capacity crowds, at least for the fist few days, against Australia, New Zealand, India and Pakistan. Not sure about West Indies these days but I am old enough to remember some titanic battles going right back to the days of those two outstanding spin bowlers - Ramadhin and Valentine.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=wFl9x3XzKSw&feature=share

• I'm hoping that we still respect the game though, that kind of approach on a green top is not sensible, so there has to be a balance.

Don't get me started on prices though and availability of tickets for the Ashes. Having gone to three tests a summer if not four for the best part of twenty years, I'm yet again unable to get any tickets for the Ashes. Missed out in all five ballots.

I had one chance at The Oval through England supporters thing but would have cost me £150 for the day, absolutely ridiculous. I'm off to the Ireland match at Lord's instead.

Test match cricket is no longer affordable in the capital against the bigger teams. It's a real shame for the next generation of fans.

• changing the subject slightly, the first two episodes of season two of the excellent Slow Horses are now available on Apple TV.

• Looking forward to that, the first season was exceptional. Based on a random recommendation I have been watching For All Mankind. Wow. How has that not been in my life before now?

• Both excellent shows

• There’s a lot of good stuff on Apple TV+. Severance being the very best of all.

I’ve not watched Slow Horses yet so looking forward to that.

• I’ve thought about Severance more than anything else I’ve seen in tv.

• Severance 'haunts' me. I saw it months ago now. Everything Apple does just has a feeling of quality.

Now where the heck is Ted Lasso's final season???

• Recent highlights for me have been (in no particular order)

Mare of Eastown

Severance

Extraordinary Attorney Woo

Wednesday

His Dark Materials

Peripheral

Disenchantment

Slow Horses

• Due to enforced downtime I’ve been catching up with a few gems, a few misses too.

How did I never see The Guard? Especially as I loved In Bruges so much ?

• edited December 2022

Going back to the cricket, I love it when bravery is rewarded so thrillingly!

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - you have to wait until Friday for the next match

• Aaah, yes. But Thursday is our ASDA delivery day.

You’re right of course but Athers (or one of the others) said they had x days break and I worked it out (incorrectly) that the next match would start on Thursday. Apparently smog is likely to be a problem and may even lead to breaks in play.

• Well, I’m all for this new brand of attacking batting but two runouts in the first couple of hours of the third innings on the second day of a Test match seems ludicrous.

I’m confident England will win though.

• Good finish to the day, hopefully tomorrow can put even more runs on to see us safe and firm favourites. I feel Pakistan have a long tail, get them 5 or 6 down and they don't have much left.

• Looks like it may well be closer than you'd hoped for.

• https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0xiUwByBBdavAQZwksxE8b49g2bqLGjUqHTdqUZooRzzsUwa3LsLxhA61Rf9S81PDl&id=100047960216860

Not sure the link will work but I saw this, posted by Dave Gardner on Wycombe Wanderers Friends Facebook page and it did make oi laaarf !

• Looked very much like we’d lost it at one point there.