VAR at Wembley

Comments

• edited May 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Is anyone going to complain if we go up by virtue of a VAR cock-up?

As a seeming advocate of VAR, how do you even accept the notion of a "VAR cock-up?"

Same way people who aren't advocates of VAR accept the notion of on-field refereeing cock-ups

But...but .but....oh sod it, we'll re-visit this at some point I'm sure. Can't spend this week arguing about VAR though

I don't really understand your point? VAR clearly isn't perfect, but that doesn't mean it should be binned. But moving on...

The whole point of it was to eliminate the moaning about wrong decisions, but it's not done that, it's just changed it from moaning about the ref to moaning about var. And for the few things it has cleared up, it's created at least as many new problems.

It's a farce

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is anyone going to complain if we go up by virtue of a VAR cock-up?

Of course someone will!

• Fair play @ReturnToSenda, you’re about the only normal fan I know who defends VAR.

• @floyd said:
    Fair play @ReturnToSenda, you’re about the only normal fan I know who defends VAR.

I know plenty (but maybe we're not normal)

• Gimmicky rubbish adds nothing to the game

• What will you do if we score @ReturnToSenda ?

• @LX1 said:
    What will you do if we score @ReturnToSenda ?

Whatever gets me on the big screen. Any suggestions?

• @ReturnToSenda just be prepared for your grandkids telling you none of our success in the 20s counted because the games weren’t officiated by a squadron of drone refs.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

Lol good answer. Helicopter?

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

You can explain that one to @micra

• Is this a five minute VAR debate or the full half hour?

• I know I'm just one person and therefore it doesn't matter what I say and can't change anything, but this has made me care less about the game on Saturday, which isn't fair because I personally go to Wycombe because it's fun to care so much about a thing for a bit, just for entertainment.

Nobody that goes to football goes because they want to see the best decisions. I don't even really care that much about what division we are playing in: let's face it the way football is going we aren't going to win a real trophy in any of our lifetimes barring something very unusual happening. Why take away the bit where we get to celebrate the goals?

Also, despite what seems to be the mood on Twitter, VAR isn't going to protect Sunderland against defending and direct football...

• Exactly, VAR ruins the single best thing about football.

• Not watching a lot of Prem football…does VAR give a pen for shirt pulling in the box at corners? We might win one…and probably give one away as well if so..

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Not watching a lot of Prem football…does VAR give a pen for shirt pulling in the box at corners? We might win one…and probably give one away as well if so..

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Not watching a lot of Prem football…does VAR give a pen for shirt pulling in the box at corners? We might win one…and probably give one away as well if so..

Exactly this. How it's not a penalty I don't know - as clear and obvious a shirt pull as you can possibly get missed by referee and VAR. Anyone who thinks Bayo might be awarded a free kick, when the defender rips Bayo's shirt over his head, is mistaken.

• edited May 2022

Im more worried about a pen for the slightest of touches on an arm that is away from the body (the one against Burnley at the weekend is a good example)

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

You can explain that one to @micra

Haha. I was kinda hoping he would ask

• How long do we expect Scowen to stay on the pitch?

• Whole game
    Whole game
    Whole game

• I think the biggest worry is the potential red card for a challenge which looks awful in slow motion. And, as said a lot above, the handball law which is wildly different with VAR from league 1 (which is correct and what it should be). And that’s not even to mention the goal celebration effects. It is awful and I just wish it would be removed from the game. I guess what has it achieved? No more contentious offside and line calls, but everything else is still debated because it’s a game of opinion in so many cases.

Sadly, it’s not going anywhere but I hope it only ever stays at the top level so we don’t need to generally worry about it.

• Non league gates at all levels have been going through the roof, and i'm constantly hearing of fans who have turned there back on premiership football, as they wish to return to the days of when football first gripped them. It will be interesting if the continued rise of gates at grass root level, will start to put the wind up footballs elite ?
    There were 5000 empty seats at this weeks cup final, thats something that never happened, even in the low gate days of the early to mid 80's.

• @Malone said:
    Whole game
    Whole game
    Whole game

Apologies for the repeats. I am in the Peak District and any connection with the outside world is difficult at best!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Non league gates at all levels have been going through the roof, and i'm constantly hearing of fans who have turned there back on premiership football, as they wish to return to the days of when football first gripped them. It will be interesting if the continued rise of gates at grass root level, will start to put the wind up footballs elite ?
    There were 5000 empty seats at this weeks cup final, thats something that never happened, even in the low gate days of the early to mid 80's.

Surprised about the cup final, were they openly available or did you have to be a club member at £1k a year for the privilege of buying them for £2k six months in advance with stub receipts. It's often the ease and regularly the expense that are as much of an issue as the product and desperate money gouging.
    I'd be surprised if 5000 tickets at £20 available publicly to anyone wouldn't go like a shot but we've got ourselves wrapped up in so many idiotic rules and schemes now.

• @Quarterman fantastic goals being chalked off because someone's finger was outstretched and in an 'offside position' has ruined it a bit for me.

• @Wendoverman I meant more it had stopped the debate on offside calls. Some of the close calls are crazy. I’d bin it all in a heartbeat, the game is vastly worse to watch with VAR

• Gotcha @Quarterman it was never going to make Shearer et al redundant was it?

• @Quarterman said:
    @Wendoverman I meant more it had stopped the debate on offside calls.

I don't think it's done that at all. It is impossible to isolate the exact moment the ball is played.