Skip to content

VAR at Wembley

Comments

• Quite right,hence the reason for not announcing the Referee yet.

• Apparently having a L1 ref and L1 rules for the biggest L1 game of the season is too much to ask. Ridiculous

• @floyd said:
    Apparently having a L1 ref and L1 rules for the biggest L1 game of the season is too much to ask. Ridiculous

Why would you want a League One ref?!

• @Bluez said:
    Don't like it,at least Bayo might win a penalty now!!

It'd have to be the most obvious shirt tugging / grappling ever for a ref to give a pen in his favour.

• Lee Mason as the VAR is less good news, but still this > the bunch of clowns we usually have to put up with

• Well this news has certainly dampened my excitement. Absolutely dreadful decision.

• The high of Vokes to the low of VAR. Whether or not it works in favour, I really hope it plays no part in the match.

• Yuk! I really don't like VAR. Endless minutes, whilst someone, somewhere tries to spot some minor indiscretion, with no-one in the stadium knowing what's going on. Nope, not for me!

• Why don't they use the same procedure used in rugby? You can hear the conversations between the referee and the fourth match official, and what they are looking at is displayed on the big screen in real time, and in slow motion.

That way, all the spectators know what is going on, and the final ruling shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    Apparently having a L1 ref and L1 rules for the biggest L1 game of the season is too much to ask. Ridiculous

Because it’s a L1 game with L1 speed and L1 physicality. A premier league ref is going to blow for a foul at every corner.

• Surely changing the rules with one game to go is a bad idea. I suppose appointing a ref who has used VAR as a crutch all season is a big reason.

Horrible decision

• Completely ridiculous to change the rules for the most important game of the season. Really hope the game doesn't become the farce I'm envisaging

• Which rules have changed?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Which rules have changed?

Handball rule, threshold for a red card, threshold for a penalty- especially from corners.

• Also just generally what constitutes a foul is totally different in league 1 to the prem

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Which rules have changed?

They don't have VAR in League 1

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

Because it’s a L1 game with L1 speed and L1 physicality. A premier league ref is going to blow for a foul at every corner.

We've had PL officials for regular season games and they don't do that - it's flowed much better

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

We've had PL officials for regular season games and they don't do that - it's flowed much better

Will VAR be applied differently? Ball and man tackles that aren't even a foul in l1 would be red cards with Var in the prem

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

Will VAR be applied differently? Ball and man tackles that aren't even a foul in l1 would be red cards with Var in the prem

Well that would be the correct application of the laws

• Nonsense.

• Is anyone going to complain if we go up by virtue of a VAR cock-up?

• Sunderland seem to think that will ruin our game plan...because obviously their silky skills will be given free rein over our anti-football antics.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is anyone going to complain if we go up by virtue of a VAR cock-up?

We quite possibly would have stayed up with VAR last season, we were obviously stuffed by a fair few decisions at the start of last season. I still wouldn't have wanted VAR.

It's use is pushing non football players into making all laws have arbitrary black and white rules, when in reality there's plenty of grey.

In addition to that it's taking out any element of danger at the expense of the game. Some of the red cards in the prem when the ball is won are a joke. JJ would get plenty

• @ReturnToSenda said:

As a seeming advocate of VAR, how do you even accept the notion of a "VAR cock-up?"

• edited May 2022

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

As a seeming advocate of VAR, how do you even accept the notion of a "VAR cock-up?"

Same way people who aren't advocates of VAR accept the notion of on-field refereeing cock-ups

• It will be interesting to see if the attempts to remove Vokes' and Bayo's shirts would be penalised by VAR but likewise I do thinks we see and are used to a far more robust game in league 1, particularly at set pieces with lots of grappling etc. Hope we get the first corner!

• Death to VAR.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Same way people who aren't advocates of VAR accept the notion of on-field refereeing cock-ups

But...but .but....oh sod it, we'll re-visit this at some point I'm sure. Can't spend this week arguing about VAR though

• @eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

But...but .but....oh sod it, we'll re-visit this at some point I'm sure. Can't spend this week arguing about VAR though

I don't really understand your point? VAR clearly isn't perfect, but that doesn't mean it should be binned. But moving on...