Skip to content

VAR at Wembley

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    VAR ruins the best thing about the game, the mad rush of joy and adrenaline that follows a goal.

I mean, assistants' flags also do that ?

The whole 'Goal, mad celebration, flag up, ironic cheers' passage of play takes about 5 seconds. It is depressing to be on the wrong side of it but one of the joys of life when you're lifted from despair to elation.

It's the speed that makes it acceptable. Hanging around while a graphic displays on a video screen for anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes is just shite.

It's a dream for pundits and TV companies because it gives them more grist to fill their bloated schedules with. For the fan in the ground it is abysmal.

Sadly, its march feels unstoppable.

• yes, but that's not a goal is it?

VAR stops you celebrating goals that are actually allowed to stand

• Fan brought about VAR with incessant complaining about officials' decisions. Can't have it both ways.

• I don't want it both ways. I want football fans to grow up and accept that sometimes officials make mistakes but living with those is far preferable to VAR

• Admittedly it was probably the pundit-led hysteria which ultimately did it

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Admittedly it was probably the pundit-led hysteria which ultimately did it

Which is now worse than ever.

• @arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Admittedly it was probably the pundit-led hysteria which ultimately did it

Which is now worse than ever.

I'd say that's driven much more by social media than VAR, but I agree

• We should have know VAR wouldn't have solved everything by the number of times we watched MOTD and two pundits who'd watched slowed down clips for half an hour still couldn't agree.

I know it gets more right than wrong, but it ruins the character of the game. Line calls are fine, but that'll do.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Fan brought about VAR with incessant complaining about officials' decisions. Can't have it both ways.

Did they? TV fans did, not match going

• @drcongo said:

@bargepole said:
    Most other major sports - NFL, Rugby (Union and League), Cricket, Tennis, etc.

3/4 of those are long, tedious, drawn out slogs where interrupting the flow really doesn't matter because none of it is exciting anyway. The other is wrestling but with a ball.

All of those sports are capable of producing an exciting nail-biting contest, or a boring snooze-fest in equal measures. This includes football, where in some games the teams spend more time passing back to the goalkeeper than trying to mount an attack.

I spent 35 years playing Rugby, for Wasps after I left school, and later with High Wycombe RUFC. I spent far more time running with the ball, and passing, than any wrestling. But each to his own, I suppose.

• A fan led march towards VAR really is a load of nonsense. It was the TV companies who want made up drama when they can't guarantee it from the match.

If only fans had that much power.

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Fan brought about VAR with incessant complaining about officials' decisions. Can't have it both ways.

Did they? TV fans did, not match going

Both - you think match-going Man United fans don't get as hysterical about refereeing 'injustices' as the Football Twitter lot?

• Nowhere near as much, things that are highlighted as mistakes on TV or after slow mo are often not even noticed live

• It's just this weird obsession with eliminating all errors isn't it? I think the beauty of things lies in their imperfections if I'm honest.

I liken it to these new build houses you get where everything is straight edges and shiny and symmetrical and perfect. Creepy, if you ask me.

• @eric_plant said:
    It's just this weird obsession with eliminating all errors isn't it? I think the beauty of things lies in their imperfections if I'm honest.

I liken it to these new build houses you get where everything is straight edges and shiny and symmetrical and perfect. Creepy, if you ask me.

Sometimes I like to find a way to have a dig at people I look down on too.

• I think it was summed up by the fact that VAR might have saved us from relegation last season, and yet even in that scenario, few of us would have wanted it.

• @drcongo in this instance I have to say I agree with @eric_plant on both thoughts expressed...which is not an easy thing for me to admit.

• In the old days you'd sing and shout about a minor injustice, chew it over in the pub then probably find out that night on the telly that you got it wrong. You'd also give the ref the benefit of the doubt as they only got one view from one angle.
    When there is a stand off for 5 mins with no or limited crowd information and then he wanders off to look at a telly and still comes up with a wrong decision with influence from people miles away it's difficult to sympathize and then after the game you have 2 debates, the original one and the one about wether he was right to change or keep his decision.

• The reputable Sunderland echo are running an article suggesting goal line technology will be used in the final and VAR under consideration

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-vs-wycombe-wanderers-will-var-and-goal-line-technology-be-in-use-for-wembley-final-3691403

• I'm with @eric_plant on VAR, 100%. However, I do like a nice 'show home'.

• @arnos_grove said:
    We should have know VAR wouldn't have solved everything by the number of times we watched MOTD and two pundits who'd watched slowed down clips for half an hour still couldn't agree.

I know it gets more right than wrong, but it ruins the character of the game. Line calls are fine, but that'll do.

Roll on 25 years time when there will be a much more advanced of the tennis Hawk-eye style system for instant calls.
    Although by then we might be watching robot gladiators play.

• @eric_plant said:
    ... these new build houses you get where everything is straight edges and shiny and symmetrical and perfect.

Most new build homes are anything but perfect when you actually look in detail at their construction!
    Look good from afar but close up they are often terrible.

• I have no issue with VAR, but the thought of EFL officials sends a shiver down my spine. Also, why have they still not made a decision nine days out from the final?!

• edited May 2022

If we have to put up with Var it puts a massive potential dampener on any goal celebrations. It's horrendous and I've gone from just being against it, to thinking anyone for it has never genuinely followed a football team up and down the country.

• edited May 2022

What if Akinfenwa's tits are actually offside?

• @Brownie That's gone in high on the list of my favourite ever Gasroom posts. Well done sir.

• edited May 2022

@Brownie said:
    What if Akinfenwa's tits are actually offside?

If they are in the 128th minute and they aren't ruled to be as he crashes in at the back post past an O'Nein still grinning from getting someone booked minutes earlier all might be right with the world.

• If Bayo actually scored with his chest to win promotion, I could die happy.

• @bargepole said:

I've also seen it suggested that, instead of 45 minutes each half with a random and unknown period of injury time added, there should be a 30-minute game clock, which is stopped whenever there is a stoppage in play. Again, this is a system adopted by other team sports, so that both sides know that when the clock counts down to zero, that's the end of the half. This seems an obvious and sensible suggestion.

How much would you pay for a ticket to day 3 of Wycombe Vs Rotherham?

• From EFL Communications today:
    "Discussions remain ongoing regarding VAR being used in the Sky Bet League One (Saturday 21 May – KO 3pm) and League Two (Saturday 28 May – KO 4pm) Play-Off Finals."