Skip to content

VAR at Wembley

Hi,
Will VAR be used for the Play Off Finals?

Comments

• No - just in the Championship play offs this year

• Not even goal line technology?

• edited May 2022

I think goal line technology has been in use in the playoffs for a few years now, so that’ll be there.

• That was a quickie @Bluez . You hog the Gasroom with 7 visits in 7 years and your posting career lasts five minutes!

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I think goal line technology has been in use in the playoffs for a few years now, so that’ll be there.

Isn't it all or nothing as you need people in place to review?

Don't think we'll have it. Don't want it. Unless it benefits us of course.

• Nah goal line tech is delivered instantly to the refs watch. All teams in the Championship have it and we therefore had it installed last season. No idea if its still functional though!

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Last_Quarter said:

Why would you not want GLT?

• No to VAR!

• I heard Sunderland and Sheff Wednesday were offered VAR (I assume big clubs have it installed already) for their semi but apparently said no. (This may be bull...)

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Last_Quarter said:

Why would you not want GLT?

I'm not anti Goal line tech, it's pretty good and well executed now. VAR still sucks life away.

• Didn't Phil mention on the commentary before the MK game something goal line tech being installed at Adams Park for that one game?

I may have dreamed this, I was pretty shattered when I watched the match back

• I think we have the goal line tech as we got it for the championship, although I don’t know if we use it in league 1. Got a feeling championship is using VAR next season or the year after perhaps.

• VAR still sucks life away.

I don't know why some WW fans, and football fans in general, are opposed to VAR.

Most other major sports - NFL, Rugby (Union and League), Cricket, Tennis, etc. - use some form of video replay to ensure that critical on-field decisions are correct. Football, the world's most popular and richest team sport, seems to be stuck in the past.

One argument is that it 'interrupts the flow of the game'. If the views of opposition supporters can be believed, there is no flow when Wycombe are playing, as apparently the team can't string more than two passes together, and spend most of the match wasting time with various forms of shithousery.

I've also seen it suggested that, instead of 45 minutes each half with a random and unknown period of injury time added, there should be a 30-minute game clock, which is stopped whenever there is a stoppage in play. Again, this is a system adopted by other team sports, so that both sides know that when the clock counts down to zero, that's the end of the half. This seems an obvious and sensible suggestion.

• VAR is fine, our officials just aren't competent with it

• VAR offers further opportunity for corruption in football. I'd rather it stayed well clear.

• VAR is the worst thing that has ever happened to football

• @bargepole said:
    Most other major sports - NFL, Rugby (Union and League), Cricket, Tennis, etc.

3/4 of those are long, tedious, drawn out slogs where interrupting the flow really doesn't matter because none of it is exciting anyway. The other is wrestling but with a ball.

• One more mention and @DevC turns up

• Imagine if we'd had to wait around for Sam Vokes' goal the other night to be checked

• edited May 2022

A toe, shoulder, head or an elbow ahead of the last defender is not interfering with play and therefore offside and a lot of the big decisions are still going the way of the 'big teams'. I do not like VAR.

• I do not like it Sam I are.

• If the best argument for VAR is that it works in sports that are nothing like football, then that proves how unsuitable it is for football doesn’t it?

VAR ruins the best thing about the game, the mad rush of joy and adrenaline that follows a goal.

• I was at a VAR ground game.
    Away team scored - celebrations.
    VAR check announced - home team celebrated.
    Lengthy delay.
    Goal eventually awarded - nearly no noise.

That's the VAR experience.

• @floyd said:
    VAR ruins the best thing about the game, the mad rush of joy and adrenaline that follows a goal.

I mean, assistants' flags also do that ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

Aye, but the assistant flags more or less instantly, and you’re not standing around watching the ref hold his hand to his ear wondering if someone’s toe was offside.

• VAR hasn't resolved the endless talking and complaining about incorrect decisions. In fact, it just causes even greater obsession with decisions and more outrage when they are wrong despite VAR being place.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    VAR hasn't resolved the endless talking and complaining about incorrect decisions. In fact, it just causes even greater obsession with decisions and more outrage when they are wrong despite VAR being place.

This.

The late or non flagging as VAR will sort it out later is another annoyance. Leads to passages of play where you kind of know they won't count and there'll be an argument either way.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

no they don't

• One of the best things about following Wycombe is the lack of VAR. Premier league is borderline unbearable.

• edited May 2022

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

no they don't

You've never wildly celebrated a goal then had the comedown after realising it's been disallowed for offside?