Skip to content

VAR at Wembley

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't want it both ways. I want football fans to grow up and accept that sometimes officials make mistakes but living with those is far preferable to VAR

I’m not sure. We still may have been in the Championship if VAR was used.

• I've never had a problem with the concept of VAR, but the implementation has been a complete cockup. It should have been done in a much the same way as in Rugby Union. The check being done locally by the fourth official, possibly even with a time limit rather than minute analysis.

I am old enough to remember referees not having headsets, and having to go to the touchline for a discussion with the linesman to finalise a decision. Delays to a final decision are nothing new.

• I really truly hope that they decide against VAR. These games are mainly important to the people that are inside the stadium, why ruin their fun for the benefit of people that might be watching on tv

• Maybe it's more about getting the decisions correct, which will define which league a club is in next season.

• @bluenotes said:
    Maybe it's more about getting the decisions correct, which will define which league a club is in next season.

You're right. I can't wait to turn up at Wembley and watch some perfectly correct decision making. What a spectacle! Hope there's plenty of decisions to see.

• @bluenotes said:
    Maybe it's more about getting the decisions correct, which will define which league a club is in next season.

How much training are EFL officials likely to have had? Unless they put a PL VAR on it (not that that would fill me with much more confidence...).

• As I said previously I am no more happy with how VAR is currently used than anyone else. However I don't think the choice whether to use it in the play-off finals, or not, has anything to do with TV or entertainment value, but more to do with improving the chances of getting decisions right.

Who would be using it, and how they are trained is another subject. I most certainly wasn't suggesting that the method of use should be changed on the fly just for the play-offs.

• Football is the crack cocaine of games. There is no other sport where a goal comes so unexpectedly and is worth so much. The instant hit of euphoria is one of the key factors that sets the beautiful game above all others. Take away the thrill of the goal and you take away football.

• VAR would better if it was like cricket, the captain can make say three requests for it to be used in a game . If they are tight they keep the appeal.

• @Safc_in_peace said:
    VAR would better if it was like cricket, the captain can make say three requests for it to be used in a game . If they are tight they keep the appeal.

Would just result in tactical time wasting

It doesn't work in football

• @Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:
    VAR would better if it was like cricket, the captain can make say three requests for it to be used in a game . If they are tight they keep the appeal.

Would be better than the current system, you would only use your appeal if you thought it was worth it. I agree towards the end of the game you might use one if you still have it left, just to slow things down. But that is still better than endless stoppages. You could add in a rule about making obviously false appeals resulting in a yellow card.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

Would be better than the current system, you would only use your appeal if you thought it was worth it. I agree towards the end of the game you might use one if you still have it left, just to slow things down. But that is still better than endless stoppages. You could add in a rule about making obviously false appeals resulting in a yellow card.

It fits cricket better as you have to ask the umpire anyway and there are relatively few close call wickets, in Football you could have 3 red card fouls or penalty shouts in the first few minutes and spend the rest of the game being able to handball and leg break at will.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

Nice idea in theory, but it's meant to be an obvious yellow for diving, but how often do we see refs giving them?

I think it was one of your lads, the stocky short blonde winger perhaps, who did a bit of a scandalous dive in the semi final leg 2 for one example.
    Let alone O Nien for his fall to the floor when lightly brushed on the foot :D

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

It fits cricket better as you have to ask the umpire anyway and there are relatively few close call wickets, in Football you could have 3 red card fouls or penalty shouts in the first few minutes and spend the rest of the game being able to handball and leg break at will.

The ref wouldn't disappear after all the reviews have gone. Think the team instigating a review might work if limited to a very small number of things.
    Bottom line is the VAR system is needed due to poor refs and teams cheating. Problem is VAR is run by the same poor refs and the teams still think they can cheat around it.

Get rid of VAR and accept that cheating will lead to erratic decisions

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

What I like about the cricket implementation of DRS that should be brought into football is the concept of a decision being too tight to definitively call, and the umpire's original decision standing. VAR's original premise was to correct "clear and obvious" errors, not to disallow goals because someone's toenail was a fraction of a millimeter offside.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

What I like about the cricket implementation of DRS that should be brought into football is the concept of a decision being too tight to definitively call, and the umpire's original decision standing. VAR's original premise was to correct "clear and obvious" errors, not to disallow goals because someone's toenail was a fraction of a millimeter offside.

Think they're trying to phase that out in cricket, but I agree with the principle

• @Username said:
    Think they're trying to phase that out in cricket, but I agree with the principle

Heaven forbid some sort of commonsense is used when officiating sporting events...

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Username said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

The ref wouldn't disappear after all the reviews have gone. Think the team instigating a review might work if limited to a very small number of things.
    Bottom line is the VAR system is needed due to poor refs and teams cheating. Problem is VAR is run by the same poor refs and the teams still think they can cheat around it.

Get rid of VAR and accept that cheating will lead to erratic decisions

You need to tackle the ref heckling separate to the actual decision.Far more bookings.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    You need to tackle the ref heckling separate to the actual decision.Far more bookings.

If VAR was used to penalise individuals who harangue officials, then I'd have at least a modicum of respect for it.

• Why are the EFL discussing this a week before the game???

Why was it not talked about at the start of the season?!?

Is it because its Sunderland?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Why are the EFL discussing this a week before the game???

Why was it not talked about at the start of the season?!?

Is it because its Sunderland?

Would love it they bring it in because the game involves such a grand old club.
    Then we win due to something given by Var!

• The whole point of bringing it in though would be to not give us those decisions.

• What a load of shite.

You just know that there's going to be a goal ruled out for nothing one way or the other now which will overshadowed the game itself.

I

• Imagine the levels of piss-boiling if we go up via a dodgy VAR decision

• Don't like it,at least Bayo might win a penalty now!!

• Not happy. One of the joys of lower league football for me is our poor quality, old, fat, blind, biased officials who cannot keep up with play.

• Gutted about this. VAR ruins the flow of the game and I don’t want to see it at our level. Blatantly there will be a red card as well when the VAR slows down a challenge and it looks awful in slow motion.

• They'll have to appoint a Premier League referee now as well won't they?

You can't introduce it for a game of this magnitude and then put someone in charge who's never experienced it before