Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• My girlfriend forbids me from going near her special 'must draw'

• Just watched the highlights - surely that has to be rescinded.

Went in over the top but was nowhere near their player.

Their man rolling around won the red card.

• As I was not there at 0-1 what did we have our fingers in that we needed to pull them out of to have any chance of a second goal?

• Wasn't a red. Wasn't a yellow. Wasn't a foul.

If Stockdale slides across his box whilst the play is up the other end is it a red card?

• Although not as bad as Martin O’Neill but I’m pretty superstitious when it comes to football. Why on earth after that brilliant performance at Cambridge playing in red & white quarters did we play in the shit-kit today? For goodness sake we looked imperious in red & white at the Abbey Stadium so why change? People might argue the kit doesn’t matter - in my view it’s very important.

• The phrase 'jumping in' is ridiculous in this incident. Jason Cousins 'jumped in v Donny. Wing went for a ball and won it without even contacting an opposition player. Pathetic refereeing

• Blaming the kit is a new one!

• @A_Worboys said:
    Although not as bad as Martin O’Neill but I’m pretty superstitious when it comes to football. Why on earth after that brilliant performance at Cambridge playing in red & white quarters did we play in the shit-kit today? For goodness sake we looked imperious in red & white at the Abbey Stadium so why change? People might argue the kit doesn’t matter - in my view it’s very important.

I totally agree ! Anyway, why do we even need 2 change kits !? One is blue, one is red and white, there should never be a clash

• @HolmerBlue said:

@A_Worboys said:
    Although not as bad as Martin O’Neill but I’m pretty superstitious when it comes to football. Why on earth after that brilliant performance at Cambridge playing in red & white quarters did we play in the shit-kit today? For goodness sake we looked imperious in red & white at the Abbey Stadium so why change? People might argue the kit doesn’t matter - in my view it’s very important.

I totally agree ! Anyway, why do we even need 2 change kits !? One is blue, one is red and white, there should never be a clash

Sheffield Wednesday is a clash

• edited April 2022

And they had to put out a new kit for the new season

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@A_Worboys said:

Sheffield Wednesday is a clash

Not really, if they play in blue and white and we play in red and white that is not a clash to me, can people not tell the difference between red and blue ?

• I think colour psychology is real. We play sharper in the sharp red and white, while the play is insipid in the faded beige.

• If Wycombe play in red and yellow, Wednesday in pink and green, what colour do Rod Jane and Freddy wear?

• @drcongo said:
    It feels to me like a very long time since we last saw the best of Wheeler. Honestly not sure what bringing him on today was supposed to achieve, but it had the exact effect I thought it would.

I think a lot of that is due to the lack of consistent game time for him across the whole season, and towards the end of last season.

He’s still a quality operator on the ball and I’d expect him to start against Plymouth with Wing suspended.

On Wing, I wouldn’t be too upset if he moved on at the end of the season. Brilliant at picking a pass and clearly has a shot on him, but tends to go missing during games and Scowen has to cover him a lot of the time.

• Gape to follow up on that Chesterfield goal by scoring the Wembley winner having barely played all season? Now that would be a story!

• I hate that kit it is a horrible insipid colour and I would imagine in certain situations it’s difficult to pick the players out when you’re on the pitch. Totally agree about the red and white quarter is superb and we always seem to play well when wearing them. Given that we probably have to have a third kit surely we could come up with something in the quarters? But above all just ditch that horrible horrible “ wet Sand“ kit

• We won't have it next season, so maybe only one more wear!

• I thought that our kits last two seasons? I hope you’re right

• edited April 2022

@Mr67 said:
    I thought that our kits last two seasons? I hope you’re right

I'm pretty sure we're changing kit supplier - O'Neills contract runs out at the end of this season and we get a pretty raw deal with them. Last extension was May 2019, so just before the Couhigs appeared on the scene.

• Thank God for that if I never see that kit again it will be too soon

• I really hope Mehmeti is fit enough to start on Friday because the thought of Wheeler next to Scowen for such a big game is worrying. If Mehmeti can put in the sort of performance in the role he played against Charlton away then we'll be much better placed to pick up a win... Wheeler looks finished.

• Reminds me of when Manu got thrashed at Southampton and Ferguson put it down to their grey kit lol

• @LX1 said:
    Reminds me of when Manu got thrashed at Southampton and Ferguson put it down to their grey kit lol

Didn't they change kits at half-time?

• @aloysius said:
    So disappointing to watch us play those long, high balls out of defence most of the match. When we thread it on the ground, we score. But we were also getting overloaded in midfield, especially after Horgan came off and I was surprised to see Wheeler playing so high when he came on.

Even before the tackle I thought Wing was pretty anonymous in a midfield we were getting overrun in. Wonder if that's the last we see of him: he's only got four matches left before his contract runs out unless we get into the play offs and he's out for three of them. Ever since the Rotherham match and those comments surfaced about how he considered he had done his time there after half a season I've expected him to disappear in the summer. Let's hope Wheeler or Young steps up in the next three matches, offers a bit more midfield stability alongside Scowen and gets us into the play offs.

Hanlan my man of the match, he was excellent playing behind Vokes rather than alongside him. If we're not going to see Mehmeti for a match or two and Kaikai remains missing without explanation, I'm confident Hanlan will step up and see us through.

Do you post stuff for the thumbs down?
    I know it's all about opinions, but madness today aside, he's been a really good foil for Scowen.

• @drcongo said:
    It feels to me like a very long time since we last saw the best of Wheeler. Honestly not sure what bringing him on today was supposed to achieve, but it had the exact effect I thought it would.

Saw Gareth describe him as a "defensive player" recently, and we seem to use him these days to "firm" things up.
    I don't think it ever really does that, and seems to lose most of his strengths. Although to be fair I'm not sure how he'd get into this line up regularly anyway.

• @A_Worboys said:

Were you blaming the kit when we were comfortably on top and leading?

• @frequentstander said:
    I really hope Mehmeti is fit enough to start on Friday because the thought of Wheeler next to Scowen for such a big game is worrying. If Mehmeti can put in the sort of performance in the role he played against Charlton away then we'll be much better placed to pick up a win... Wheeler looks finished.

I also hope Mehmeti is OK for Plymouth, purely to get into their heads as he was superb against them down at their place, ran rings round them

• @HolmerBlue said:

@frequentstander said:
    I really hope Mehmeti is fit enough to start on Friday because the thought of Wheeler next to Scowen for such a big game is worrying. If Mehmeti can put in the sort of performance in the role he played against Charlton away then we'll be much better placed to pick up a win... Wheeler looks finished.

I also hope Mehmeti is OK for Plymouth, purely to get into their heads as he was superb against them down at their place, ran rings round them

If he's fit, could we go for broke and field Hanlan on the left, and still play the other 3 attacking boys.
    A Man City esque 1 holder, and 2 central attacking mids?
    Would be brave!

• @Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@frequentstander said:

If he's fit, could we go for broke and field Hanlan on the left, and still play the other 3 attacking boys.
    Would be brave!

Mehmeti doesn't necessarily have to play in one of the attacking midfield stratas. He can play next to Scowen. He's played in that deeper role a few times this season and put in some good performances. Having him deeper will definitely aid our ability to play it 'on the deck'... He also covers some of the most ground in the team.

Ideally, of course, we'd have Thommo slot back in next to Josh, but that's very unlikely given he's likely not trained on grass yet (he's only doing gym work at the moment).

• @frequentstander said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@frequentstander said:

Would be brave!

Mehmeti doesn't necessarily have to play in one of the attacking midfield stratas. He can play next to Scowen. He's played in that deeper role a few times this season and put in some good performances. Having him deeper will definitely aid our ability to play it 'on the deck'... He also covers some of the most ground in the team.

Ideally, of course, we'd have Thommo slot back in next to Josh, but that's very unlikely given he's likely not trained on grass yet (he's only doing gym work at the moment).

Yep, think Gaz said that we'd need to extend our season into the play offs for Thompson to be involved, so that's very likely the absolute stretch target of seeing him back.

However, we have just dished a 3 year deal to Young, so is he worth a start?
    Huge ask in such a big game though.

More likely to go Wheeler, although I don't really like him there, or Mehmeti and ask a lot more of Scowen defensively.