Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• The horse is raging against the rain, which is coming down in stair rods over the open away end.

• Good to see the scaffolding represented

• It's the last week of the skiing season in Vipienne, for those wishing to make a weekend of it. Madame Fromage's 'Suspiciously Ripe Cheese' van will be open as usual.

• I imagine we’ll stick with the same starting XI, but Hanlan has to get a run-out at some point given how fired up he was last time against his former club - not that he’s not fired up normally, but he was on another level when we played Gills at home.

• edited April 2022

Isn’t it Priestfield?

• Seems to be more bitching than usual about our 'poor' turnout for this one. Maybe people have more important things to spend £24 on at the moment than sitting on some scaffolding...?

• Gillingham is possibly the worst away trip I’ve been to. Atrocious away end and on the expensive side.

• Long, unpleasant journey, expensive tickets, rubbish ground, petrol shortages and cost of living crisis, plus first chance to visit Wimbledon's new ground next week, no surprises at all we're not packing it out.

• It's not 'another' unchanged squad btw; the Cambridge squad was changed from the previous game.

• As long as we don’t stink it out as well. Personally, I think we’ll come away smelling of roses.

• Did we eventually reach a consensus as to whether this is a "must win" game?

• It’s a can’t lose game @mooneyman .

Yes, it’s Priestfield.

• Darryl is very disappointed that you haven't tidied your room.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Seems to be more bitching than usual about our 'poor' turnout for this one. Maybe people have more important things to spend £24 on at the moment than sitting on some scaffolding...?

I’ve seen people complaining about the complaining, but no one actually complaining. We should be taking 1000+ today, but there are mitigating circumstances

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Seems to be more bitching than usual about our 'poor' turnout for this one. Maybe people have more important things to spend £24 on at the moment than sitting on some scaffolding...?

I’ve seen people complaining about the complaining, but no one actually complaining. We should be taking 1000+ today, but there are mitigating circumstances

• Am I missing something? What's wrong with that tweet?

• I know you've decided to view that tweet from WWFC as complaining, but it really isn't ....

• It didn't post properly (the complaints are in the QTs)

• And I'm sure Facebook has been the usual cesspit

• Whose room are we talking about and why?

• I feel another 4-1 coming, we're so good

• Very difficult game given the relegation scrap the Gills are in. Coming away with the 3 points would be impressive.

• Mitigating circumstances being that if you've been there once you're unlikely to want to go again.
    The club publicly backing VPN seemed a bit surprising at first until you remember they get the £ this way and most clubs want rid of the 3pm rule.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Mitigating circumstances being that if you've been there once you're unlikely to want to go again.
    The club publicly backing VPN seemed a bit surprising at first until you remember they get the £ this way and most clubs want rid of the 3pm rule.

To be honest, the fact that Priestfield is a total dump is the least mitigating of the circumstances.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I feel another 4-1 coming, we're so good

For goodness' sake take a cold shower. Children read this board.

• We mock Priestfield, but how many other League One grounds have served as inspiration for a World Cup venue?

• @floyd said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Mitigating circumstances being that if you've been there once you're unlikely to want to go again.

To be honest, the fact that Priestfield is a total dump is the least mitigating of the circumstances.

Not for me, and not a "through the wind and rain" stance maybe but lots of people choose each time rather than go to all, I had something else on this evening and it took me seconds to decide to watch this one on TV and then go out rather than trekking down that way. Time and cost and travel options and prioritizing other games and various other things come in to people's decisions but you have one look at that stand and know you're being had.