Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• Plymouth draw & Portsmouth lose

• edited April 2022

I just don't understand how we can play so well going forward on Tuesday and pick the same team on Saturday, but then clearly decide to sit back and play none of the same football. We take Horgan off to shut up shop and see the game out, and then immediately invite the sort of pressure that leads to their goal.

That was all wrong, what a disaster - back out of the playoffs with us. We need to beat Wednesday.

• @bigred87 said:
    Bolton goal is huge

surely that is not allowed....

• Still in our hands with the Wednesday game

• Can we retire this kit immediately? We seem to play so uninspired in it...

• Buggeration

• Wing clearly got the ball didn't he?

• So we have Plymouth H and Wimbledon A before playing Wednesday, and they have MK A and Crewe H - not at all out of the question that we go into that game ahead of them. And I hate it.

• @LX1 said:
    Wing clearly got the ball didn't he?

Irrelevant if it's a dangerous tackle

• Losing Wing for 3 games is an absolute disaster.

Do we still have Pendlebury? On loan somewhere?

Plymouth could yet finish outside the top 6. Their final 4 games are very difficult indeed. Next week is massive.

• Pendlebury is on loan at Woking, not sure if we can recall

• @Shev said:
    Can we retire this kit immediately? We seem to play so uninspired in it...

Didn't we just win 4-1 away in it?

• But we're alright for depth with Young, Wheeler and Gape (he's close, right?). I'm sure someone said they spotted Thompson on crutches, though, which is obviously less than ideal...

• I don't think that's a bad result, this was always going to be tough against a fired up Gillingham. What is bad, is the injury to Mehmeti and the 3 game ban for Wing.

4 points from 2 away games and we're still right in the mix. Don't think Plymouth will fancy coming to us on Friday at all.

• @therabbittest said:
    I just don't understand how we can play so well going forward on Tuesday and pick the same team on Saturday, but then clearly decide to sit back and play none of the same football. We take Horgan off to shut up shop and see the game out, and then immediately invite the sort of pressure that leads to their goal.

That was all wrong, what a disaster - back out of the playoffs with us. We need to beat Wednesday.

I think you’re doing a massive disservice to Gillingham.
    It wasn’t pretty but they won the physical battle that we knew was inevitable. It’s extremely hard to play the kind of passing football that we’ve been playing recently when the opposition are so up for it and in yer face.

The result was a fair one and liveable. But to lose key players - one for all but the last game and one with injury - is going to make life very difficult. Let’s hope Mehmeti’s injury is not serious and that Jack Young proves an able replacement for Lewis Young.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@Shev said:
    Can we retire this kit immediately? We seem to play so uninspired in it...

Didn't we just win 4-1 away in it?

That was the red and white quarters

• Lewis Wing

• Should have put the washing machines on quick wash and shirt spin.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

I’ve watched it a few times now and it’s just not dangerous. He gets the ball and half a second later the Gills player falls over him.

• Even short spin!

• Taking some hope from the fact Sunderland still have to go to Plymouth

• @drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

I’ve watched it a few times now and it’s just not dangerous. He gets the ball and half a second later the Gills player falls over him.

He's flown in with both feet off the ground

• And Plymouth have to come to us

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

But on the ball. There was no Gills player in any danger.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

It wasn't a tackle because the opposition player wasn't there. Wasn't studs up either.

• I really like what I’ve seen of Young and Pendlebury

• @micra said:
    Should have put the washing machines on quick wash and shirt spin.

@ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LX1 said:

But wings are specifically designed for flying!

• Interesting that I invented a hybrid player in my response to @therabbittest above. Lewis Young indeed!

• Nick Freeman

• I’ve just been blocked for two minutes for posting three times in 60 seconds. I’m on fire. What was in that Moderna booster.