Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• So disappointing to watch us play those long, high balls out of defence most of the match. When we thread it on the ground, we score. But we were also getting overloaded in midfield, especially after Horgan came off and I was surprised to see Wheeler playing so high when he came on.

Even before the tackle I thought Wing was pretty anonymous in a midfield we were getting overrun in. Wonder if that's the last we see of him: he's only got four matches left before his contract runs out unless we get into the play offs and he's out for three of them. Ever since the Rotherham match and those comments surfaced about how he considered he had done his time there after half a season I've expected him to disappear in the summer. Let's hope Wheeler or Young steps up in the next three matches, offers a bit more midfield stability alongside Scowen and gets us into the play offs.

Hanlan my man of the match, he was excellent playing behind Vokes rather than alongside him. If we're not going to see Mehmeti for a match or two and Kaikai remains missing without explanation, I'm confident Hanlan will step up and see us through.

• We'd be mad not to offer Wing a longer-term deal. Yeah, that was a regrettable moment today, but he's clearly class.

• It feels to me like a very long time since we last saw the best of Wheeler. Honestly not sure what bringing him on today was supposed to achieve, but it had the exact effect I thought it would.

• We’re obviously still well In it but today feels like a huge, huge blow. If we had won today I feel like 2 or 3 points from Plymouth/Sheffield Wednesday and two other wins would’ve secured the play offs. Now I think we need 4 points from Plymouth/Sheffield Wednesday (plus 2 wins) which, without Wing, is a huge ask.

The game was there for the taking today but for some reason we again seemed to revert to a more known tactic of trying to shut up shop. We took Horgan off and invited them onto us. They were a physical side and it was no surprise they equalised. For me, that tactic has cost us a fair few points this season and it will be difference between play offs and just missing out. Wing’s red card is also a massive blow (probably more than the result itself) as he has been a very important part of the passing style recently. The back up players are decent but a fair way off his quality.

• Gape might be back for the run in...
    Or will he?

• edited April 2022

Considering Forino's majestic clearance off the line, we may look back fondly on that point...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Taking some hope from the fact Sunderland still have to go to Plymouth

The way the fixtures look we might actually want Sunderland to win that.

Plymouth play:

Wycombe (a)
    Sunderland (h)
    Wigan (a)
    Franchise (h)

They could very easily not win again and slip below us.

I know it seems bizarre given they have the points already on the board but if we beat them next weekend then there’s every chance they are the team we leapfrog.

• Trying to sit on a 1-0 lead for 40 minutes in a must-win game like today was madness. After recent weeks I really thought we'd moved past that.

• We played in red and white at Cambridge at least they can see each other in that kit!

• @Glenactico absolutely agree. You can be sure that Plymouth will have been targeting a win today against a side with nothing to play for. To draw a blank will have been very disappointing. They now have 2 teams immediately below them and 2 teams battling for promotion/title. They'll be very nervous coming to AP on Friday knowing what's still to come.

• I wouldn't worry about a thing if I was them

• @drcongo said:
    Trying to sit on a 1-0 lead for 40 minutes in a must-win game like today was madness. After recent weeks I really thought we'd moved past that.

Same... very disappointing

• Almost every game you wonder if we've seen the last of someone @aloysius

• If anyone has still got the stream on, you can hear the bloke in the call centre recording his highlights commentary.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Almost every game you wonder if we've seen the last of someone @aloysius

I'm totally the Cassandra of High Wycombe, right?

• Cassandra's predictions were correct.

• I think the problem for Wing is it looks like both feet leave the ground. That’s not in control and the ref has judged it ‘serious foul play’ under the laws.

_A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play._

We could appeal, let’s see how it looks on replay and hope.

• Unless they've got an angle which shows him not jumping in two-footed, I don't think we'll have much luck

• If we beat Plymouth on Good Friday I would be very confident of finishing above them. What a gigantic game. The waiting is torture. Not sure I'm going to make it through

• Pretty much right in front of the Ref too.

• We can no longer win the League. Friday is a must win if we are to achieve automatic promotion

• So what happens now we did not win today's must win game?

• Maybe we'll have the same luck with Wing, as Barnsley had for their appeal last season. That was 2 footed, over the top of the ball, onto Kashket's standing leg and they got it rescinded. I'm still amazed at that!

• Do they slap an extra game on top if the appeal fails?

• @Shev said:
    So what happens now we did not win today's must win game?

It makes the next game into a ‘must win’ game

• If it's a 3 game ban not much to lose by appealing

• @LX1 said:
    If it's a 3 game ban not much to lose by appealing

That last game at Burton we might well need a result.

I see very, very little chance of the decision being reversed.

• Agree with most of that but it's just one player, and it could be won or lost by Burton. I would appeal it

• Every chance that Burton will be a must win game