Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

12346»

Comments

• But we DIDN'T sell our allocation quickly @Twizz. That was the problem.

• Not sure about the “reconfigure” aspect. Surely existing seats remain and the extra are additional seats not replacements

• I’m sure this will be a lesson learnt. I’ve no doubt we’ll be taking our full 1,465 allocation for AFC Wimbledon in one hit.

• 600 tickets in final 48 hours isn’t exactly “sold……so quickly “ is it @Twizz?
    The constructive point being made seems to be that a more responsive system to late purchasing is about to be introduced.

• Are the club on the hook for unsold tickets?

Pleased @A_Worboys is picking up the baton and telling the club what to do.

• @mooneyman said:
    But we DIDN'T sell our allocation quickly @Twizz. That was the problem.

@perfidious_albion said:
    600 tickets in final 48 hours isn’t exactly “sold……so quickly “ is it @Twizz?
    The constructive point being made seems to be that a more responsive system to late purchasing is about to be introduced.

In that case why have people been moaning about all the empty seats and Wycombe fans not being able to get tickets?

• It all begs the question why Portsmouth didn't just have a cash gate if all concerned knew we wouldn't sell all the seats?

• @Twizz said:
    Appreciate the effort @AlanCecil in asking the question, but that's hardly an answer from Pete is it?

"More possibly available if needed"

Clearly there was a need, but someone at WWFC or Portsmouth either made a decision NOT to allocate more seats or (more likely) nobody at WWFC even asked the question when we sold our initial allocation so quickly.

Pete's indication that many tickets were sold in the final couple of days -ie midweek. Possibly no time left to physically get more tickets sent from Pompey to Adams Park. Strange in this day that we still reply on paper tickets for away games.

• Don't Wimbledon have a lower limit on their away capacity because of fan misbehaviour earlier in the season?

• Really bonkers to declare it sold out though? That was our club branding it that wasn't it?
    As opposed to "sold out the moderate amount we'd taken only".

Didn't we a few months ago declare a gate was our "highest ever August game" then had to later clarify, except if we ignore the ones that were higher and only count our own fans?

• @Malone Yeah, that was bizarre

• @Malone said:
    Really bonkers to declare it sold out though? That was our club branding it that wasn't it?
    As opposed to "sold out the moderate amount we'd taken only".

Didn't we a few months ago declare a gate was our "highest ever August game" then had to later clarify, except if we ignore the ones that were higher and only count our own fans?

Not the first or last time PR back fires.

• Stealing carrots from Mr McGregor's garden was fraught with risk

• Nice carrots?

• Get the impression with Mehmeti, that he'll be the complete package next season then go. Like when Beavon figured out he was much better than our level

• I generally rely on the BBC site to give the stats on the game. This week no stats, anyone know why, or where they can be found?

• @Fit2drop said:
    I generally rely on the BBC site to give the stats on the game. This week no stats, anyone know why, or where they can be found?

https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/wycombe-wanderers/62

• I've got 38 49 dangerous attacks
    5 16 shots

An unfortunate missed win

• I thought we were outstanding personally. On another day we come away 2-0 victors. We limited them to very few opportunities. If we keep defending as well as we did on Saturday then we'll just about make playoffs. Big three games ahead of us. We need at least 7 points from those in my opinion.

• I thought we looked by fat the better side.
    Reverting to the back four and have them guarded by Josh the patroller, seems to give the side a far better balance. As good as Curtis Thompson is, I think playing both him and Scowen together rather dilutes our attacking options.
    I think Gareth has come across/ stumbled on the formation that is most likely to get us closest to the play off positions.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I think Gareth has come across/ stumbled on the formation that is most likely to get us closest to the play off positions.

Or developed/moulded the team to that formation

• The only thing this formation lacks is Hanlan for some pace and power.
    But he's a great option to come on fresh later on.

• It's been a dynamic season for the 'player of the season' vote... Started off with McCleary, then maybe Hanlan, Stocko and Vokes. Potentially even JJ. It's got to be Josh Scowen now, hasn't it?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I saw someone out in shorts and a leather jacket yesterday

Was this at the game? Was he selling sandwiches?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    It all begs the question why Portsmouth didn't just have a cash gate if all concerned knew we wouldn't sell all the seats?

Because the home stands were sold out, so PFC would have been concerned around home supporters buying tickets in the away end.

• @peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I saw someone out in shorts and a leather jacket yesterday

Was this at the game? Was he selling sandwiches?

Nah, on Friday in London - which was sufficient explanation tbh

• Thanks Return to Senda.
    Not seen that site before.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Is Kaikai injured?

I'm assuming so as he's not in the latest Sierra Leone squad

• @A_Worboys said:
    If anyone from the club or Trust reads this perhaps they could offer an explanation:

We were given 1,000 tickets for the match at Portsmouth which were “sold out” by Wednesday evening / Thursday morning.
    The usual minimum ticket allocation for away fans is 1,400 when the stand behind the goal is split between home & away supporters. The actual capacity of that end is 2,800 (slightly less with the number of broken seats taped up). When we got inside we found we’d been given the whole away end. So we had 958 supporters in a “sold out” end holding 2,800 with ticketless Wycombe fans outside trying to buy any spares off people going in & many not travelling as they didn’t have a ticket. It doesn’t make any sort of sense at all.

My facebook comment on the matter Andy, understand everyone's frustrations. As Alan says further down, we are working on some developments with away ticketing for the future, which should be announced tomorrow!

Just to clear this up, we were offered 1,000 tickets as Pompey wanted to utilize some of the Milton end due to the relocation of supporters whilst some of their stadium is being reworked. We asked for the most we were offered. The tickets were on sale for just under 3 weeks but sales really ramped up after the win on Tuesday evening.

Clearly, Portsmouth did not utilize the space for home fans (We would not know the reasoning for this decision) and so WW fans were spread out across the whole stand rather than in the original allocation, hence the look of empty seats.

Furthermore, the decision taken to sell on the day to supporters is made by the home team in any instance - Pompey chose not to do on the day sales, therefore once we sold out of our 1,000 allocation, there was nothing more we could do in the time we had.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact the ticket office via the normal channels if anyone has any questions! ?