Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Was getting a bit nervous towards the end, balls going into our box which a month or so ago might have led to disaster. We've really tightened up now though, with Taff back there with Tools, and the team looks so much better for being more settled. Really should have won today, Wing's free kick was fantastic, but the save was equally impressive.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Btw did anyone else know that the final day games kick off at 12:30? An FYI in any case!

Yep. Better than the season it was 5.30pm I think in league 2.
    That's a woeful kick off time.

It's always going to inconvenience someone, probably just means I'll watch that one from VPN instead

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Was getting a bit nervous towards the end, balls going into our box which a month or so ago might have led to disaster. We've really tightened up now though, with Taff back there with Tools, and the team looks so much better for being more settled. Really should have won today, Wing's free kick was fantastic, but the save was equally impressive.

It is hard not to look back and wonder what the heck we were doing leaving Stewart benched and potentially Taf completely out.
    Unless it was as simple as both not being fit enough.

• @Malone said: >.

>

It is hard not to look back and wonder what the heck we were doing leaving Stewart benched and potentially Taf completely out.

Whilst it would be churlish to complain too hard about what will be one of our highest ever finishes, this could be one of the most frustrating questions of the season.

• Ainsworth has gamed this perfecctly

• @Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Was getting a bit nervous towards the end, balls going into our box which a month or so ago might have led to disaster. We've really tightened up now though, with Taff back there with Tools, and the team looks so much better for being more settled. Really should have won today, Wing's free kick was fantastic, but the save was equally impressive.

That is the key question isn’t it. Why were we going with a back three of Grimmer, Forino and JJ and leaving Taf and Stewart out?

• edited March 2022

@Forest_Blue said:

@Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

That is the key question isn’t it. Why were we going with a back three of Grimmer, Forino and JJ and leaving Taf and Stewart out?

Let's hope it doesn't end up being a summer debate If we miss out by a couple of points!

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

Taf had a lingering groin injury, GA referred to it after his first game back. Not sure on Stewart.

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

@Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

Let's hope it doesn't end up being a summer debate If we miss out by a couple of points!

What no new players? Will be the Summer debate. Always is. Given everyone at the club wants success I assume there is a good reason for people not playing and GA and Dobbo know what it is even if they don't tell me.

• Watched this one from Vipienne today for the 1st time ever, thanks to the technical abilities of my good lady wife. Must say, was very impressed by the view and will certainly use it again for the longer away days. Ordinarily, we would have travelled but we didn't as we never bought our tickets before the news broke that it was a sellout? Sellout my derriere, it was embarrassing the number of empty spaces!!

• That was ridiculous to call that a sellout…made no sense at all.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Thoroughly depressing to read about this. Flush them out of our fan base.

Not gunna lie, ruined the game for me. Call someone out and get a big ‘fuck off’ in response, really great.

• edited March 2022

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

‘king depressing indeed. Our club has proudly been front and centre on this issue. Therefore they should know if the views of the club and the overwhelming majority of supporters align - then they should fuck off and support someone else.

Does anybody call them out at the game or just on message boards afterwards?

EDIT* Just seen the post above suggesting they were called out. These scummy people have no place in society let alone football.

• @wermhatt said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Not gunna lie, ruined the game for me. Call someone out and get a big ‘fuck off’ in response, really great.

Someone should've taken a photo of them, shame them, that normally works

• If anyone from the club or Trust reads this perhaps they could offer an explanation:

We were given 1,000 tickets for the match at Portsmouth which were “sold out” by Wednesday evening / Thursday morning.
    The usual minimum ticket allocation for away fans is 1,400 when the stand behind the goal is split between home & away supporters. The actual capacity of that end is 2,800 (slightly less with the number of broken seats taped up). When we got inside we found we’d been given the whole away end. So we had 958 supporters in a “sold out” end holding 2,800 with ticketless Wycombe fans outside trying to buy any spares off people going in & many not travelling as they didn’t have a ticket. It doesn’t make any sort of sense at all.

• @wermhatt said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Nobody should have to put up with this shit.

• As one of the Gasroom Oldies (I think @wingnut is probably senior to me) I was puzzled by the description of this obnoxious father and son duo as “stone island”. I’ve heard of the Isle of Wight but not stone island. Google came to my rescue. A clothing brand. And presumably a clothing brand that emblazons its garments with the brand name. Whether that is sufficient information to enable the football club to identify, track down and warn the offensive pair as to their future behaviour, I rather doubt.

• @drcongo said:

@wermhatt said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Nobody should have to put up with this shit.

Context: The kid was 17/18, I have no idea honestly, but old enough to know better. He shouted “fuck off you puff”, to the ref when he was walking up the stand, to leave before half time. I’ve over analysed it as you do, and I definitely didn’t handle it as well as I should, there was a lot of swearing. I think my initial reaction was “fuck off, take that homophobic shit elsewhere!”, he walked off all sweary like.
    Then his dad turned back and squared up to me and was all “whats you problem”, I said something like “no one wants to hear that, it’s wrong and homophobic”, he walked off and just shouted “it’s a football match”.

Apple, tree etc.

• Good on you for standing up to it. The father / son combos are always the most depressing.

• @micra said:
    As one of the Gasroom Oldies (I think @wingnut is probably senior to me) I was puzzled by the description of this obnoxious father and son duo as “stone island”. I’ve heard of the Isle of Wight but not stone island. Google came to my rescue. A clothing brand. And presumably a clothing brand that emblazons its garments with the brand name. Whether that is sufficient information to enable the football club to identify, track down and warn the offensive pair as to their future behaviour, I rather doubt.

It's an overpriced Italian clothing brand synonymous with the 'casuals' subculture - which itself overlaps with hooliganism. Pep also wears it, mind you.

• And David Beckham wears it

• Say no more...

• Because David Beckham is known for his obnoxious behaviour?

• Did anyone else enjoy the comedy foul throw debacle whereby a PFC player failed to even get his throw on the pitch...the ref then gave the throw our way, only to be berated by the Cowleys pointing out that technically it was still a PFC throw as the ball hadn't entered play?

Two reactions from me:

1) haunting memories of us v Sheff Wed, LIVE!!! on Sky back in 2003 - the incomparable Steve Dell seemingly incapable of taking a legal throw-in on about 3 separate occasions in the game

2) the horrendous possibility of GA seeing yesterday's proceedings, and thinking, "so you're saying, if hypothetically speaking, I were to instruct the lads to take deliberately crap throws which never entered the field of play...that might eat up a few seconds whilst we fart about getting the ball back, and if this knowledge were to fall into the wrong hands it could lead to a whole new level of game management?"

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The main stand has some of the nicest toilets I've ever been in at a football ground, but I guess it is the 'posh' part

Have to say the gents at the away end yesterday was one of the cleanest I have experienced this season.

• @HCblue said:
    Because David Beckham is known for his obnoxious behaviour?

I see your point but I meant the clothing brand and the kind of stuff he wears. He's anything but obnoxious of course and apparently bring their family up in a well mannered respectful way.

• Tbf, half the 'Stone Island crew' also wear Adidas trainers, which would make me an oik if clothing was the only criteria!

• @A_Worboys said:
    If anyone from the club or Trust reads this perhaps they could offer an explanation:

We were given 1,000 tickets for the match at Portsmouth which were “sold out” by Wednesday evening / Thursday morning.
    The usual minimum ticket allocation for away fans is 1,400 when the stand behind the goal is split between home & away supporters. The actual capacity of that end is 2,800 (slightly less with the number of broken seats taped up). When we got inside we found we’d been given the whole away end. So we had 958 supporters in a “sold out” end holding 2,800 with ticketless Wycombe fans outside trying to buy any spares off people going in & many not travelling as they didn’t have a ticket. It doesn’t make any sort of sense at all.

I queried this with Pete Couhig via Twitter where you can read his responses.

• @AlanCecil said:

I queried this with Pete Couhig via Twitter where you can read his responses.

• Appreciate the effort @AlanCecil in asking the question, but that's hardly an answer from Pete is it?

"More possibly available if needed"

Clearly there was a need, but someone at WWFC or Portsmouth either made a decision NOT to allocate more seats or (more likely) nobody at WWFC even asked the question when we sold our initial allocation so quickly.