Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

123457»

Comments

• I don’t know how to put this on repeat mode but I’ve said so many times that once you have a reputation in football it is very difficult to change it, irrespective of the facts. It’s just lazy, cliched stereotyping by opposition fans who have no concept of self awareness.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I don’t know how to put this on repeat mode but I’ve said so many times that once you have a reputation in football it is very difficult to change it, irrespective of the facts. It’s just lazy, cliched stereotyping by opposition fans who have no concept of self awareness.

Best I can do @glasshalffull ! You’re absolutely right.

• @glasshalffull said:
    It is alarming how some opposition fans trot out the same old cliches even when they bear no resemblance to what actually happened in the game.
    One Rotherham fan posted ‘I wouldn’t want to watch Wycombe every week….all they do is hoof the ball into the air.’ A staggering lack of self awareness since we kept the ball on the deck much more than our opponents did.

Caught up with Ringing the Blues last night and my only conclusion was that none of those Rotherham fans had seen the game. They seem to think they were playing a brand of free total flowing football whilst we played the role of hoofing spoilers. Total role reversal on the reality. GMac and Anis had their right back running up his own a**hole for most of the second half.
    Even if they took a moment to look at the stats they would realise how wrong they were.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I don’t know how to put this on repeat mode but I’ve said so many times that once you have a reputation in football it is very difficult to change it, irrespective of the facts. It’s just lazy, cliched stereotyping by opposition fans who have no concept of self awareness.

You need a word with @drcongo about getting a few buttons linked to your account, so you don't have to write this every few weeks :D

Maybe one to remind the drones all isn't lost after the next loss too.

• I think we have to at least respect that we have earned the reputation for a reason:

1) McCleary time wasting / game management right in front of their end taunting their fans at 0-0 despite being the better side in a home game

2) McCarthy, whilst fouled, plays 'dead' / pretends to be knocked out in what looks like a promising attack

These are just two examples of things (within a 10 minute bracket of one game!) that we see from our boys week in week out.

Other examples: Let's not forget earlier in the season Scowen was feigning injury to the point where they dragged a stretcher out ready and then he continued as if he didn't even pick up a knock. The opposition missed the resulting penalty after significant delay. Stockdale repeatedly gives the ball to the terrace to encourage keeping it in the stands to waste time. There are countless examples of 'dark arts' like these in each individual game.

Yes - we are definitely playing it on the deck more in recent weeks. Yes - we did outplay Rotherham by a distance in that second half. But fans of other clubs don't forget the sort of 'arts' illustrated by us in every season for at least the last four or five years. To assume they're overreacting is just unfair. I think we've grown so accustomed to our brand that we forget how others can't tolerate it. Besides, we don't want them to tolerate it. We want them to be rattled. It has worked for us.

• edited March 2022

Yes, but there is an extraordinary lack of self-awareness from the Rotherham fans that their team are just like Wycombe in so many aspects.

• Did they clip the bit where their defender had a good sit down to break our attacking momentum? or their taking whole minutes over a throw in in about the 20th minute.

• @frequentstander and we are the only protagonists? Loads of teams have done it to us. Portsmouth did a master class last 15 minutes at home to us. It's sh1t, but it is part of the modern game. We do it, everyone does it. Does it come from the players, or does it come from the management?
    Two changes that would be easy to make -
    1) When the ball is called dead by the whistle blow if an opposition player touches the ball its an immediate advancement of 10 yards (or a yellow card). This would stop the bollox of throwing the ball to one another or looping throws, or pretending the ball is stuck under your feet etc etc. I'm not here to see you toss around.
    2) Throw in advancement needs to be enforced on the first offence, no warning. You go forward 5 yards further than the throw it is reversed. Simple. Don't give me the sh1t that I didn't know where to throw it from - you knew.

• All good points above. I'm not suggesting we are alone in our acts, but we are most certainly 'well above average' when it comes to proportion/volume of the game where we're exhibiting game management. To suggest otherwise is probably delusional.

Let's not forget we did have the highest proportion of long balls in the league last season - and probably for the first two-thirds of this season. It's only in the last 3-4 games where we've gone slightly less direct. We're still very direct compared to the rest of the league. We deserve our reputation imo and we want to keep it - the more opposition frustration induced, the better.

• @frequentstander said:
    I think we have to at least respect that we have earned the reputation for a reason:

1) McCleary time wasting / game management right in front of their end taunting their fans at 0-0 despite being the better side in a home game

2) McCarthy, whilst fouled, plays 'dead' / pretends to be knocked out in what looks like a promising attack

These are just two examples of things (within a 10 minute bracket of one game!) that we see from our boys week in week out.

Other examples: Let's not forget earlier in the season Scowen was feigning injury to the point where they dragged a stretcher out ready and then he continued as if he didn't even pick up a knock. The opposition missed the resulting penalty after significant delay. Stockdale repeatedly gives the ball to the terrace to encourage keeping it in the stands to waste time. There are countless examples of 'dark arts' like these in each individual game.

Yes - we are definitely playing it on the deck more in recent weeks. Yes - we did outplay Rotherham by a distance in that second half. But fans of other clubs don't forget the sort of 'arts' illustrated by us in every season for at least the last four or five years. To assume they're overreacting is just unfair. I think we've grown so accustomed to our brand that we forget how others can't tolerate it. Besides, we don't want them to tolerate it. We want them to be rattled. It has worked for us.

If you read the League One Facebook page you would see that almost every team in the division is accused of exactly the same tactics to which you refer. It is the go-to knee jerk reaction of fans whose team have lost or who believe they are above these kind of things. All I saw on Saturday was a Wycombe team attacking and trying to win the game right up to the final moments.

• @glasshalffull said:

The other thing you often end up repeating is your mantra that fans would prefer to see their team win than lose even if it's not pretty, and there's more than one way to play football. Both fair comments - as are those that we're a team that predominantly plays long ball. Because we are.

• @glasshalffull said:

@frequentstander said:
    I think we have to at least respect that we have earned the reputation for a reason:

If you read the League One Facebook page you would see that almost every team in the division is accused of exactly the same tactics to which you refer. It is the go-to knee jerk reaction of fans whose team have lost or who believe they are above these kind of things. All I saw on Saturday was a Wycombe team attacking and trying to win the game right up to the final moments.

Hmm. Not sure I'm in agreement here. Wycombe have (multiple times) been voted as 'biggest ****houses' or 'most hated' in that Facebook group.

• A selection of offerings from today’s League 1 Facebook page:
    I see it happening so often.
    Fleetwood and Crewe were the last two, basically cheated from the first 10 minutes x

It’s a common theme across the league so don’t think it’s just gillingham fleetwood burton crewe mk dons to name a few have all done it to us this season.

Gillingham did it when Evans was manager but I thought they might change under a new manager.

Game management and good old sh*thousery, as said previously every team does it when it suits.

• @aloysius said:

@glasshalffull said:

The other thing you often end up repeating is your mantra that fans would prefer to see their team win than lose even if it's not pretty, and there's more than one way to play football. Both fair comments - as are those that we're a team that predominantly plays long ball. Because we are.

Can’t disagree with that although it certainly hasn’t applied to recent games.

• @glasshalffull said:
    A selection of offerings from today’s League 1 Facebook page:
    I see it happening so often.
    Fleetwood and Crewe were the last two, basically cheated from the first 10 minutes x

It’s a common theme across the league so don’t think it’s just gillingham fleetwood burton crewe mk dons to name a few have all done it to us this season.

Gillingham did it when Evans was manager but I thought they might change under a new manager.

Game management and good old sh*thousery, as said previously every team does it when it suits.

If you did the same comparison for bias or views that have little basis in fact across a lot of Facebook groups, political ones for example, you'd see the same. Beyond it's ability for people to keep in touch it's often a big open sewer there's no need to overly worry about other fans views of us.

• I wasn’t worried, I was simply making the point that we are not the only team accused of these tactics.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    @frequentstander and we are the only protagonists? Loads of teams have done it to us. Portsmouth did a master class last 15 minutes at home to us. It's sh1t, but it is part of the modern game. We do it, everyone does it. Does it come from the players, or does it come from the management?
    Two changes that would be easy to make -
    1) When the ball is called dead by the whistle blow if an opposition player touches the ball its an immediate advancement of 10 yards (or a yellow card). This would stop the bollox of throwing the ball to one another or looping throws, or pretending the ball is stuck under your feet etc etc. I'm not here to see you toss around.
    2) Throw in advancement needs to be enforced on the first offence, no warning. You go forward 5 yards further than the throw it is reversed. Simple. Don't give me the sh1t that I didn't know where to throw it from - you knew.

Yep. Those 2 things are utterly infuriating and what gets my goat every week.

Touch the ball after it's been blown against you yellow card. Would very quickly stop it.

The whole pantomime of the ref pushing the throw in taker back, only for him to still eat 10 yards is annoying too. Do that and lose the throw in, judged as a foul throw. Sorts that too.

• @frequentstander said:

@glasshalffull said:

@frequentstander said:

Hmm. Not sure I'm in agreement here. Wycombe have (multiple times) been voted as 'biggest ****houses' or 'most hated' in that Facebook group.

Are you a Wycombe fan out of interest? You seem quite anti.

• 'Timewasting from the first minute...' features quite highly on matchday threads of most teams whoever they are playing. I don't like it but we are not the worst or unique.

• A Rotherham fan entered the field of play and kicked the ball away to delay an Accrington penalty if I remember correctly. Sure it's not the players in that case but one imagines they were partaking in their own game management during the latter stages of that game in order to provoke a fan to behave like that.

Rotherham fans have gathered a pretty bad record this season, a few minor incidents in January I remember. The way their fans have behaved against us suggests an entitlement to win, they don't like it when an opposition has the temerity to shut them out. If only they could of kept out the opposition on the last day of the previous season...

The difference between us and opposition is not the game management when winning, everyone does the same. We are more unique in the fact that we slow the game down at all points, play to maximise set pieces. Sure some people feel they are being robbed of the entertainment product they have paid for, but it really is no different to 2 defenders recycling the ball between them before launching it down field.

• @Malone said:

@frequentstander said:

@glasshalffull said:

@frequentstander said:

Are you a Wycombe fan out of interest? You seem quite anti.

Of course I'm a Wycombe fan . Haha. I thoroughly enjoy our reputation & style of play.

• edited March 2022

@frequentstander said:

It is an overreaction insomuch that those foaming at the mouth the most are completely blind to the similar time-wasting from their own players. Rotherham being some of the most blatant of the teams that have visited Adams Park (the most ridiculous being through aforementioned period where their player went down asking for treatment, received talking therapy from the physio for a good few minutes before deciding he could actually play on, followed shortly by Rotherham taking well over a minute for a throw in).
    These overreactions can work in our favour as it creates a negative mentality among fans that can spill over to the players (Plymouth's bedwetters being the best example).

• I think one of the problems is that most Wycombe fans understandably concentrate on what is being said about their own team and don’t read about other teams. Because of my job I read dozens of football forums and I can assure you that Wycombe are far from alone in being described as masters of the dark arts.

• edited March 2022

@glasshalffull said:
    I think one of the problems is that most Wycombe fans understandably concentrate on what is being said about their own team and don’t read about other teams. Because of my job I read dozens of football forums and I can assure you that Wycombe are far from alone in being described as masters of the dark arts.

Atletico Madrid. Now that's a world class dark arts outfit.
    We couldn't lace their boots.

Although in fairness for a couple of seasons after Torquay our players literally couldn't lace their own boots as every single time we scored, oddly someone was doing their laces up to delay the kick off.
    Obviously coincidence..

• If Ainsworth leaves, I think we could tempt Simeone y'know

• If Simeone leaves could Atletico tempt Ainsworth?