Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Any practical suggestions on what we can do to improve the atmosphere? Rubbish again today.

Review the drummer situation?

• @railwaysteve said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Any practical suggestions on what we can do to improve the atmosphere? Rubbish again today.

Review the drummer situation?

The solution to that is quite simple - get a drummer that doesn't cause division (and we do have one) - but unfortunately not practical as you'd have to lift the instrument ban.

• The atmosphere in the Main Stand was good with a group of about 20 Scottish lads from Dundee singing their hearts out. Good bunch of lads.
    They were in London for a stag weekend but the stag couldn’t go as he has COVID.
    The reason they were at the Wycombe game is they decided that on a Saturday earlier on in the season that they would go to a game of the first team in the London area to score on that Saturday and we actually got the first goal that day.

• on the face of it was a recent result , we won't make play offs as we simply can't bear team around us, only beaten Oxford and Plymouth so far ...OK season but I expected more with our squad

• It’s nit difficult. The club can issue musical instrument ‘licenses’ to whoever wants and if they are not having a positive impact the license is revoked.

Really good game today, played really well second half and just couldn’t breakthrough. Rotherham are a really strong side, physically and footballing wise. Please, please, please can we stick to this back 4 and playing football like this.

We’re back to looking a very good side, but sadly I think that 7 game run will have cost us the play offs. I think we’re looking to get about 79-80 points which normally would comfortably get us in the playoffs but not this year.

Hopefully we can keep hold of Vokes, add Wing to the squad who is a good player and perhaps even keep Horgan who was excellent today. We play better football with him in the side. In other words, build on this cracking squad and really go for it next season.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The atmosphere in the Main Stand was good with a group of about 20 Scottish lads from Dundee singing their hearts out. Good bunch of lads.
    They were in London for a stag weekend but the stag couldn’t go as he has COVID.
    The reason they were at the Wycombe game is they decided that on a Saturday earlier on in the season that they would go to a game of the first team in the London area to score on that Saturday and we actually got the first goal that day.

That's a superb tale!
    The sort of totally random stuff that probably happens all season, but you don't normally get to hear about it.

• I think we have a great chance of the playoffs. A couple of teams above (Oxford especially) have very difficult run ins so 79-80 points should see us there.

They all just seem to keep winning around us at the moment though and have done for several weeks.

• Today could be a really good result, but can only be judged as one in the context of the next few.

On that display it's surprising Rotherham are top.
    Barely threatened us, and they just seem to offer an uber physical approach.

You could say they're a souped up version of us, but then I'd ask where their Horgan, McCleary and Mehmeti were.

• I still think we have an outside chance of the playoffs, win our next 2 and it will all look very different.

I still feel we need to get 17-19 points from the remaining 27 available to secure a ply-off spot but feel we can achieve that

• Good game. Good point and we could have snatched it in that 20 minute stretch in the second half. When we warmed up Mehmeti, Horgan, Wing and Mcleary were excellent. Officiating was very poor for both sides.

• 62 points would have us 2nd in League 2 - funny how different tables shape up

• edited March 2022

There's still very much everything to play for. But you suspect we'll have to get a couple of wins out of the key Portsmouth away, and Plymouth/Sheff Wed homes, as well as seeing off the lower ranked teams.

Very little margin for error

Would snap the hand off a win v Burton last game getting us in there,

• What will be will be. We're playing good football - and nice football - and progressing as a club. We'll be back in the Championship sooner rather than later even if it's not next season.

• I guess it is potentially in our hands though as we have Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth both at home and Portsmouth away, but think we’ll need 6 or 7 points from those 3 games, and 5 wins out of the other 6 to sneak into the top 6. That is a huge ask.

• @Quarterman said:
    I guess it is potentially in our hands though as we have Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth both at home and Portsmouth away, but think we’ll need 6 or 7 points from those 3 games, and 5 wins out of the other 6 to sneak into the top 6. That is a huge ask.

That would put us in 84 points, I can’t imagine 6th has ever needed that many.

• I think it is going to be a record high points tally to reach the play offs. 82 minimum I reckon. Honestly though, personally I’m so chuffed with the change in style I really hope it continues. Gareth even
    Mentioned it in his post match interview so it seems to be a definite switch. Hopefully we can finish the season strongly and have a really good go next season (should we miss out this).

• Got to say, I think we made Rotherham look extremely ordinary. Felt more threat from pretty much every other team we’ve played this season, even Crewe.

• Good to see JJ have a pretty solid game against a tricky opponent.
    Maybe he's not finished just yet then.

• I agree that we made Rotherham look ordinary. Stocko made a couple of valuable saves and Taf’s head must be sore with all the headers he won.

Especially pleased with the 20 minutes after half time, which is frequently our weakest period of late.

• @Quarterman said:
    I think it is going to be a record high points tally to reach the play offs. 82 minimum I reckon. Honestly though, personally I’m so chuffed with the change in style I really hope it continues. Gareth even
    Mentioned it in his post match interview so it seems to be a definite switch. Hopefully we can finish the season strongly and have a really good go next season (should we miss out this).

Yep, agree with all that. I feel like we’ll just miss out, but that’s an improvement on a few weeks ago when I thought we’d sink without trace.

• If anyone sitting in Block B of the Presonus stand lost a pair of glasses in a Specsaver case, I handed them into main reception.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If anyone sitting in Block B of the Presonus stand lost a pair of glasses in a Specsaver case, I handed them into main reception.

Hopefully their eyesight's good enough for them to see this

• A really good 2nd half on the front foot. Cant quite make out the Bayo sub, and deliveries into the box were quite predictable, but good to see us really go at it.

Thought Scowen was class in the middle too

• @Wanderers82 said:
    on the face of it was a recent result , we won't make play offs as we simply can't bear team around us, only beaten Oxford and Plymouth so far ...OK season but I expected more with our squad

I’d disagree with that. We possibly won’t make playoffs because we’ve absolutely fucked about 8-10 points in the past 6 weeks again shite teams

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If anyone sitting in Block B of the Presonus stand lost a pair of glasses in a Specsaver case, I handed them into main reception.

I'll let the referee know.

• I thought the Bayo sub was a smart move given the mauling Vokes was getting.

• I played my flute on the toilets during an injury break

• Some slightly questionable comments from their manager about Taff’s injury - ‘from what I heard, he was just puffing’ and ‘I asked the fourth (official) what the 5 minutes were for and he didn’t have a Scooby’.

Even though he ended up going off, I think their 17 going down actually made a huge difference to the game as we were knocking on the door at that point.

I’m not sure I would have taken Anis off today. He was really impacting the game and he didn’t look leggy, so it was a strange one. I’d have taken off Gmac instead.

• That was the most blatant penalty I have ever seen at Adams Park…I was right opposite, behind the goal and Mehmeti was about to slot it home when he was brought down. Referee and Lino’s completely incompetent. He should have been sent off as well. Good point in the end, which we would all have taken before the start of the game tbh.

• This must be the strongest top ten the third tier has ever seen. I agree that we will probably fall short, but amazing that we are this competitive.

Also, I would much rather sneak into the playoffs than drop into them!