Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Confused by the lack of club response to the Rotherham Akinfenwya chanting yesterday. Against MK Dons we appeared to be on the verge of a walk off. A tannoy announcement condemned the chanting. The post match PR talked about it.

Yesterday whilst the chanting wasn't as loud it was said more often. No response or comment from the club at all. What's changed and are the club ok with this abuse now?

Which chant? The only one I heard were about his 't*ts being offside'. Not quite the same as what the MK fans were chanting.

• The sex offender chant was sung at least a dozen times during the game. I too was surprised there was no announcement.

• Quite loudly for a spell at the start of the second half

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Kaikai. Played arguably his best two games for the club, not seen since.
    To me he would have been the option yesterday and not Bayo. Vokes has been (man)handled well by their defence and something different was needed. Kaikai with his deep runs would have been perfect for me but nowhere to be seen.

I saw him suited up leaving the ground by the time I'd walked from the Frank Adams level to the main entrance. So he was getting going fairly sharpish.

Seems strange to have that scuffling youngster from Newcastle on the bench ahead of him, when playing 3 attacking mids, that Kaikai in theory could replace.

Wheeler could cover the centre mid pair if needs be.

Might have had a niggle though.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    The sex offender chant was sung at least a dozen times during the game. I too was surprised there was no announcement.

@Watford_Blue as stated here this was what I was referring to. After the admirable stance the club took only a few weeks ago it seems that no-one can be bothered any more. I find that both sad and confusing. The line seems to have moved.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    To me he would have been the option yesterday and not Bayo. Vokes has been (man)handled well by their defence and something different was needed. Kaikai with his deep runs would have been perfect for me but nowhere to be seen.

We saw him in the car park after the match if that helps @TheAndyGrahamFanClub?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    The sex offender chant was sung at least a dozen times during the game. I too was surprised there was no announcement.

@Watford_Blue as stated here this was what I was referring to. After the admirable stance the club took only a few weeks ago it seems that no-one can be bothered any more. I find that both sad and confusing. The line seems to have moved.

Need to get my hearing aid checked.

• This chanting either happened before 2.40 when I arrived, or I also need to get my ears checked.

• @Malone said:
    This chanting either happened before 2.40 when I arrived, or I also need to get my ears checked.

You could clearly hear it on iFollow a couple of times yesterday.

• I counted at least four 'renditions'

• An odd turn of phrase. If you were counting you'd surely have an exact figure.

Not a hugely important point to make it he grand scheme of things, granted

• I heard it periodically during the first half and the second half, every time Bayo was warming up and when he came on.

I’m disappointed we didn’t make a tannoy announcement like we did against MK, especially given Bayo’s subsequent interview.

• @Malone said:
    This chanting either happened before 2.40 when I arrived, or I also need to get my ears checked.

Aye it was being sung in the away tent as I arrived

• @Twizz and others - completely agree. Yesterday I thought it was a strong shout, but after the highlights there’s no way it’s a conventional shoulder charge. He barges him from behind, while Mehmeti is shielding the ball. Pen. Not sure it’s red card material though. He wants to challenge for the ball, but doesn’t do it by fair means.

• The MK Dons game the chant was unmistakeable...I should go with @Watford_Blue to the audiologist as I did not hear it at all yesterday though i did hear the offside chant and the soft southern bastard chant when McCarthy went down. I'm not surprised therefore there was no announcement but silly to suggest the club thinks 'it's alright now'.

• Seems to have turned in to an 'if a tree falls in the forest' debate.

• “If a tree falls in the forest with no ears to hear does it make a sound? It matters not for the tree has fallen.”

Apparently Westerners should avoid Eastern philosophical queries. The riddle of the the tree is ancient and ask not of sound but of loss in nature.

So there.

• Not denying the tree fell with a loud bang just that I did not hear it. Pretty grim and shameful behaviour.

• I too heard the chant from block P a few times but it sounded like as soon as the majority of fans realised it was starting up, they started another chant to drown it out in a self-policing effort.

Hopefully I was right and the majority of Rotherham's fans are decent people.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

I was thinking he would be more effective behind Hanlan than that far out wide.

• I cannot understand how, as every official lets us get away with everything and other teams nothing, that we are not ten points clear at the top of the table? Apparently, Rotherham did not score a hat-full of goals because our time-wasting and cheating was not stamped on early by yet another 'weak' referee!

• It is alarming how some opposition fans trot out the same old cliches even when they bear no resemblance to what actually happened in the game.
    One Rotherham fan posted ‘I wouldn’t want to watch Wycombe every week….all they do is hoof the ball into the air.’ A staggering lack of self awareness since we kept the ball on the deck much more than our opponents did.

• I was amazed at the oppo view section on this week's Ringing the Blues. Rotherham were awful, they were time wasting right from the start, and managed just a single shot in the second half while we were playing pretty exciting football. I wonder if they all stopped watching at half time.

• @glasshalffull said:
    It is alarming how some opposition fans trot out the same old cliches even when they bear no resemblance to what actually happened in the game.
    One Rotherham fan posted ‘I wouldn’t want to watch Wycombe every week….all they do is hoof the ball into the air.’ A staggering lack of self awareness since we kept the ball on the deck much more than our opponents did.

I know fans love to claim the current/latest is always the best/worst something has been, but I'm struggling to remember a team who put the ball in the air as much as Rotherham.

Every clearance seemed to go 100 feet up rather than applying distance.

• Apparently it was us enforcing our hoofball on them that forced them to do likewise!?. Clearly they normally play more like Barcelona, except when they play us?

• They hate us because they ain't us...except they are us.

• @micra said:
    “If a tree falls in the forest with no ears to hear does it make a sound? It matters not for the tree has fallen.”

Apparently Westerners should avoid Eastern philosophical queries. The riddle of the the tree is ancient and ask not of sound but of loss in nature.

So there.

If an Albanian falls in the box with no ‘official’ eyes as witness then it matters not that the Albanian may have been tripped.

Unfortunately ?.

• @drcongo said:
    I was amazed at the oppo view section on this week's Ringing the Blues. Rotherham were awful, they were time wasting right from the start, and managed just a single shot in the second half while we were playing pretty exciting football. I wonder if they all stopped watching at half time.

One of the comments included I saw on Twitter and came from a fan who actually stated they hadn't seen the game - clear evidence of people basing their views on reputation above all else. Stating that Wycombe disrupt and foul all the time, despite the fact we committed 2 less fouls than Rotherham and had one less booking. You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts...