Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

1234568»

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Strange to think that if we do not go up, we might well be playing Sutton United next season. Even weirder to think of Sutton v Derby or Forest Green v Sheffield Wednesday being potential league games!

I wonder when we last played Sutton

• @ChasHarps said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Our old chums Bristol Rovers have quietly been creeping up on the L2 play offs. Entirely possible we could share a division with Derby, Posh, Franchise, Oxford, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rovers next season, which would provide some needle to games.

Wycombe played for the 'Needle Trophy' when Wycombe and Slough were both Sponsored by Norman Reeves. It was a trophy presented to the Victor in the league games in the early 80's.
    I think it may have only lasted one season.
    I'm sure someone can put me right.

Shouldn't discussions about the Needle Trophy be on another thread!

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@Shev said:
    Strange to think that if we do not go up, we might well be playing Sutton United next season. Even weirder to think of Sutton v Derby or Forest Green v Sheffield Wednesday being potential league games!

I wonder when we last played Sutton

FA Trophy Semi?

• I reckon Morris knew this. That was my 2nd ever away game. Incredibly exciting as a 12 year old, supporters spilling on the pitch long before the final whistle. One abiding memory was how the pitch seemed to be all sand!

• Just seen the video highlights of the game and was impressed by the first goal - McCarthy running into space, MacCleary chipping the ball to him and Jason shooting from just outside the 6 yd box. That is real football.

• Not forgetting Vokes' exquisite buttmeg

• @LX1 said:
    I reckon Morris knew this. That was my 2nd ever away game. Incredibly exciting as a 12 year old, supporters spilling on the pitch long before the final whistle. One abiding memory was how the pitch seemed to be all sand!

You’re probably right!

Yes, what a day that was. A rare Sir Matt brace too!

• @mooneyman said:

@ChasHarps said:

Our old chums Bristol Rovers have quietly been creeping up on the L2 play offs. Entirely possible we could share a division with Derby, Posh, Franchise, Oxford, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rovers next season, which would provide some needle to games.

Wycombe played for the 'Needle Trophy' when Wycombe and Slough were both Sponsored by Norman Reeves. It was a trophy presented to the Victor in the league games in the early 80's.

Stitched him up good and proper there @mooneyman

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Not forgetting Vokes' exquisite buttmeg

Jason admitted he shanked it too, so it the even rarer shank-buttmeg.

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Probably better that way round than having a buttshank.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@mooneyman said:

@ChasHarps said:

Stitched him up good and proper there @mooneyman

Sew good

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Isn't that just a cheap cut of lamb?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

One not to put into the urban dictionary for sure.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@LX1 said:
    I reckon Morris knew this. That was my 2nd ever away game. Incredibly exciting as a 12 year old, supporters spilling on the pitch long before the final whistle. One abiding memory was how the pitch seemed to be all sand!

You’re probably right!

Yes, what a day that was. A rare Sir Matt brace too!

Hands up you are right just trying to jog a few memories of those heady days

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

One not to put into the urban dictionary for sure.

Too late https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Buttshank

• @mooneyman said:

@ChasHarps said:

I will 'Eye' an opportunity in the future.

• A friend noted we are 2nd in the first half table but 13th in the second half table. Quite the contrast, though we have won both halves two games running.

• If we finish in the playoffs - I fancy ourselves over 2 legs and a final against any team in our division - bar Sunderland or Wigan. Let's hope they stutter...again...