Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• We look a lot more confident with it on the ground.

• Great work everyone, we’ve earned that third.

• Get in - Hanlan absolutely murdered his defender for pace and set Wing up for a lovely second and our third

• Fantastic! MOTM for Lewis Wing. And a Samaritans triumph.

• Which other Wycombe players have scored their first two goals for the club in the same game? Pendlebury already this season

• Up to 5th so presumably no more calls for Ainsworth to get the sack. What a difference a week makes! For some people anyway.

• Solid result in the end.

Sunderland drawing at Charlton & Wednesday losing at Lincoln did us a favour, but other results not so great...anyway we are still in the playoff hunt in 6th place

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Which other Wycombe players have scored their first two goals for the club in the same game? Pendlebury already this season

Akinde

• Really needed that third goal. We can't hold a two goal lead...

• Only ever won there 3/11 times in the league

• Wasn't someone moaning that Wing was exactly the sort of player we did NOT need in the window???.

• A few people who should know better were getting giddy with their silly talk recently, so a back to back win was essential, and thankfully delivered.

We've given ourselves a real chance again, but a huge game up next.

• A good watch, aside from the 25+ mins my laptop decided to die on me, but thankfully we waited until I was back on board for scoring our second :)

• Strange game today, and shows how Gaz is much more reactive than proactive.

Shouldve had about 5 by half time. After the 2nd, immediately lose focus and let a goal in, then sit off. I don't have a problem generally with sitting off when you're away against a passing team, but Crewe were so dreadful we didn't need to keep shape as much.

A good win, but a missed chance with this squad to really rack the goals up.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Calling it now: Vokes will finish the season on 20+ goals

according to Gasroom folklore, if we have a 20-goal a season striker, this ensures promotion, so I hope this is true

• oddly enough, some bloke on the Crewe forum got the scoreline bang on, hope he whacked a tenner on it to at least give him some sort of consolation:

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38287504

• What was going on with the dugout and a few of their fans after the game? I couldn’t work out if GA was exchanging pleasantries with people he knew or if there was some verbal handbags going on…

• Not a bad couple of results to take into the Rotherham game at all!!

• Great first half and should’ve been 2 or 3 up comfortably. Crewe improved after half time and we invited them on a bit too much and should’ve been pegged back to 2-2 with Tafazolli block. After that, pretty comfortable and didn’t look in much danger, while retaining a bit of danger on the break culminating in Wing’s second. Good away win on an awful pitch. Again much more focus on passing the ball which was great to see.

• Wednesday and Plymouth are the big games. Must not lose, at the very least.

• @Shev said:
    Wednesday and Plymouth are the big games. Must not lose, at the very least.

Portsmouth is a big game too. They're only 7 points behind with 2 games in hand. Lose that one and we've let another team back into the play off mix.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    Wednesday and Plymouth are the big games. Must not lose, at the very least.

Portsmouth is a big game too. They're only 7 points behind with 2 games in hand. Lose that one and we've let another team back into the play off mix.

Very true that!

• edited March 2022

@PBo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Calling it now: Vokes will finish the season on 20+ goals

according to Gasroom folklore, if we have a 20-goal a season striker, this ensures promotion, so I hope this is true

Unfortunately, according to reality, we've never been promoted in a season when we've had a 20+ goal striker. We were actually relegated last time we had one (which I don't think can happen this season, can it...?).

• Would of took 3-1 before the game but made ihard work of it for ourselves. Great to see Ainsworth at the end celebrate as he did with the fans. Plenty to play for and great to be in the fight for the play off positions.

• Did Phil comment on their 7 refusing to be subbed?

• edited March 2022

Phil thought it might be a mistake on the bench…the Crewe fans were booing like crazy and the bench changed their mind. Gaz was not happy either at the waste of time.

• 7 looked like he wasn’t having it so a few minutes later the bench tried a different number ?

• @Onlooker said:
    Did Phil comment on their 7 refusing to be subbed?

It did look as though their manager reacted to the fans reaction rather than an error in what was on the board.

It would have been a ridiculous change, he and their number 8 were by far their best players. Number 15 in contrast, who actually went off, offered nothing all game.