Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• Left cheek, right cheek and crack? I think that would be the most perfect hattrick of all time.

• @Ed_ said:
    Left cheek, right cheek and crack? I think that would be the most perfect hattrick of all time.

Better that than a back, sack and crack I suppose.

• We've scored two goals via 'other' this season. Vokes today and...? Mehmeti v Cambridge went down as as header even though it looked like shoulder.

• Oh, Taf's first v Crewe (H) went in off his midriff

• Am I being ridiculously optimistic in thinking we can get 18pts from our remaining fixtures?

• I would hope we get a few more than that!

• Had a quick look at the remaining fixtures... Oxford have a fairly tough run in. If we can get 18pts I can see Sunderland replacing Oxford.... Long way to go.... coyb

• I don’t think it’s likely we’ll get more than 18. Rotherham home, Wednesday Home, Plymouth Home and Pompey away all really tough games. Could see 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats in last 10. Whether that’s enough for play offs will be a close call, it’s going to be a tense end to the season!

• So many variables go into that points total that I’m not going to try guessing at this point.

But I am going to post some statistical nerditry about the points required for the playoffs (stats a bit out of date perhaps but you get the general idea).

https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/how-many-points-are-needed-for-promotion-in-league-one-efl-sky-bet-10654

• Mid 70 points has been enough over the last few seasons to get in the playoffs. We have every chance of achieving that. Once in the playoffs, any of the four can get promoted. Keep the faith.

• PS I am assuming nothing here, but if, if we get in the playoffs, please let us not face the Franchise, as my boycott of watching them still remains.

descends from soapbox

• How many fans down will we be if we get MK in the final?

• Let's try not to think about it eh?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    How many fans down will we be if we get MK in the final?

Why are you ruining a good Saturday?

• I wasn't a headline franchise opposer until the chanting at the last home game...now I would regretfully avoid should it come to pass.

• I had been getting this strong feeling we would see MK again this season. Thankfully, I realized it is much more likely to be in the B&B!

• @Chris said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Noone wants to remember Dean Morgan. You can put a substantial amount of our almost-relegation season down to Dean Morgan

I loved watching Dean Morgan play, even if he was frustrating at times.

I had the unfortunate experience of meeting him once in the Hospitality suite at AP. Came across as a thoroughly odious individual. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his hero was DDH.

• @HomerLone said:

@Chris said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Noone wants to remember Dean Morgan. You can put a substantial amount of our almost-relegation season down to Dean Morgan

I had the unfortunate experience of meeting him once in the Hospitality suite at AP. Came across as a thoroughly odious individual. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his hero was DDH.

Certainly has to get into a Wycombe league days X1...of wronguns.

• @HomerLone said:

@Chris said:

@prufrock_91 said:

I agree he was a bad apple. However he is/was the most talented bad apple I've ever seen. Such a shame he didn't have the temperament and character to go with his natural ability. Must have been so frustrating for Gareth.

• The worst bit was he got in the ear of players like Dunne and Stewart, turning them against the club.

• I met Dean Morgan a couple of times. Found him to be a really nice bloke who gave up his time for a chat about Wycombe.

He was also always really good with the kids wanting his autograph and selfies before and after the game

• Just watched quest highlights and nearly started crying. Have you ever heard a manager described in such terms?

Time for a change?

• Strange to think that if we do not go up, we might well be playing Sutton United next season. Even weirder to think of Sutton v Derby or Forest Green v Sheffield Wednesday being potential league games!

• Our old chums Bristol Rovers have quietly been creeping up on the L2 play offs. Entirely possible we could share a division with Derby, Posh, Franchise, Oxford, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rovers next season, which would provide some needle to games.

• Will be even nicer to see Sutton playing Peterborough next season Shev

• edited March 2022

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Our old chums Bristol Rovers have quietly been creeping up on the L2 play offs. Entirely possible we could share a division with Derby, Posh, Franchise, Oxford, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rovers next season, which would provide some needle to games.

On before Andy Warbs does one of his "why don't we" posts...

Why don't we market that as a "Grudge 7" mini season ticket ;)

• Could also be Reading yet.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Our old chums Bristol Rovers have quietly been creeping up on the L2 play offs. Entirely possible we could share a division with Derby, Posh, Franchise, Oxford, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rovers next season, which would provide some needle to games.

Wycombe played for the 'Needle Trophy' when Wycombe and Slough were both Sponsored by Norman Reeves. It was a trophy presented to the Victor in the league games in the early 80's.
    I think it may have only lasted one season.
    I'm sure someone can put me right.