Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• They never are. Most fans agree with you

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Owned hahaha. Especially when we have only won 4 out of our last 11. We have to be realistic and we need to go on a run of wins now.

Or lost 3 out of the last 11?

• Frustrating that we continue this ploy of taking Vokes off for Bayo in the 80th minute.

Bayo has been a great servant for us but Vokes is ten times the player, backed up his PL and INTL appearances.

We could have really done with Vokes on the pitch at the end of the game last night, the guy oozes class.

• I thought Vokes had one of his worst games for us last night, pulled out of a lot of 50:50s and was being very well marshalled by their defence. Not to say it was a bad performance or his fault, but it wasn't effective.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @drcongo said:
    I thought Vokes had one of his worst games for us last night, pulled out of a lot of 50:50s and was being very well marshalled by their defence. Not to say it was a bad performance or his fault, but it wasn't effective.

I agree that he wasn’t at his best, he has just had covid which could be a contributing factor.

But I think you want your best players on the pitch when you are trying to desperately win a game like last night.

• https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/19910458.shrewsbury-town-praised-wycombe-boss-gareth-ainsworth/?fbclid=IwAR3mSMB-gKNxiYa1YC2hotckZY2v1Zy9QUK6_CcR9BLll97wHc-wn8e203I

"they do what they do and you have to give them credit for it", nice to see the boot on the other foot for once for dishing out begrudging praise...

• Nick Freeman

• @Vincey said:
    Frustrating that we continue this ploy of taking Vokes off for Bayo in the 80th minute.

Bayo has been a great servant for us but Vokes is ten times the player, backed up his PL and INTL appearances.

We could have really done with Vokes on the pitch at the end of the game last night, the guy oozes class.

They can't win.
    Bring Bayo on WITH Vokes, people moan.
    Bring him on to REPLACE Vokes, people moan.
    Don't bring him on at all, people moan.

• Or to put it another way, people have different opinions to one another

• @Malone said:

@Vincey said:
    Frustrating that we continue this ploy of taking Vokes off for Bayo in the 80th minute.

They can't win.
    Bring Bayo on WITH Vokes, people moan.
    Bring him on to REPLACE Vokes, people moan.
    Don't bring him on at all, people moan.

[Literally anything happens], people moan.

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    It feels like we've tended to be quite wasteful in front of goal the whole season, can only recall a few times we've managed to score 3. Perhaps this is a bit of bias, does @ReturnToSenda have the stats?

I think we have been, I might have a look tomorrow

So... We've had 54 big chances this season and scored 20 of them - 37.04% conversion rate, which is below average but not disastrous. For some context, that's almost the same as Rotherham (although they've created far more big chances, the most in the league) and better than Sheff Wed. There are various ways of looking at finishing quality and none of them in isolation tell you everything, but that's a decent at-a-glance view.

• The stats tell the story from last night - dominated the game but could have kept playing to midnight without scoring.

Bit concerned with the fitness of Taf Stewart and Scowen.

Forino and Thompson were both excellent

Wing looked a useful signing in the 1st half

Gmac has been below par for a month now and looks low on energy/ confidence

Hanlan is a handful but still gives possession away too often

Shrewsbury defended Vokes very well and the real frustration for me was we persisted with pumping long balls to him in the second half. The game was crying out for Mehmeti from half time

On to Lincoln with our shooting boots on?
    COYB

• How is 20 from 39 37.04%?

• @micra said:
    How is 20 from 39 37.04%?

It is when I've got the maths wrong. Hang on...

• 51.28 from memory.

• Corrected!

• Those stats are interesting, but for those of us who don't understand modern football statistics, and therefore don't know what constitutes a big chance, how many big chances did we create last night? Bonus points if you can remind us which of the 26 shots counted!

• @BlueBoy said:
    I’m not hitting the panic button just yet but we desperately need to find some of that early season form again if we don’t want to find ourselves slipping further down the table.

I wonder whether the decline in McCleary's form is because he isn't getting the support from Horgan he was getting at the start of the season. I appreciate that Horgan hasn't really done enough in his sub appearances recently to warrant a recall, but if all he contributes is classy one-twos and through-balls to McCleary to get him in space to shoot, he'll deserve his place on the pitch.

Other than that I don't really have much to add about last night. I struggled to stay awake in the second half but I don't think I missed anything.

• Last night’s performance in front of goal must have reduced the percentage to nearer 37.

• Very much agree with @aloysius’s point about the link play between Horgan and McCleary. Virtually telepathic earlier in the season when we were all raving about the extent of our attacking forces. For me, McCleary seemed to be popping up all over the place last night - no wonder he was looking a bit “leggy”.

Nick Freeman.

• edited February 2022

@drcongo said:
    Those stats are interesting, but for those of us who don't understand modern football statistics, and therefore don't know what constitutes a big chance, how many big chances did we create last night? Bonus points if you can remind us which of the 26 shots counted!

It's kind of subjective, but the Opta definition of a big chance is:

"A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances."

We had one last night, but we obviously had lots of decent chances (but the numbers might look Quite Bad if we added all those in ?).

• Presumably Forino's header towards the start of the second half?

• We weren't just shooting on sight last night, but there were a few occasions when we could have created something better. But you've got to give Shrewsbury credit.

• It’s difficult for me too understand what Horgan has done wrong. His early season form was a joy to watch. He keeps possession well, passes well has good work rate and appears to have a good attitude.

Going away on international duty seemed to be his downfall.

Playing Horgan, Mehmeti and GMac behind a frontman would be my choice especially against the top teams

• He looked great again in the first of his recent sub reappearances too.

• Thoughts on yesterday's game, not as disappointed as some. Thought we were pretty decent first half, but ran out of idea's to try and break down the Shrews defence in the second. I would have switched to a back four, and swapped a wing back for Soley earlier.
    It was crying out for a wide man to take on the full backs, neither Obita or McCarthy have the tools for that.
    But a major effect, I believe that is nullifying our earlier season form is the state of the pitch.
    Every season at this time of the year, the 'Car Park' bounce appears, along with the bobbly crumbling top surface. Both McCleary and Hanlan had problems running with ball, maybe we can get some lamps and heavy watering to get the grass growing quicker, and leave it slightly longer as to help cushion the bounce and make it easier to run with the ball.

• @glasshalffull said:

The last 11 games have yielded 16 points (W4 D4 L3).
    If we replicated that form over the next 11 games it would take us to 69 points with 5 games to play. Last season 74 points was enough to reach the playoffs.
    Things are nowhere near as bad as some posters are saying.

I think those supporters are in a small minority, but there is justified concern that were our current form over an extended number of games to continue it would likely see us finish outside the playoffs. Your own maths shows that.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We also looked very comfortable v Burton and Bolton - and Sunderland was a very evenly-matched game against a fellow promotion/play-off contender. And if last night - although frustrating - wasn't comfortable, I don't know what is.

I'm not sure I'd agree we looked comfortable as such against Bolton, although admittedly a two-goal cushion made their late charge more bearable. Burton barely sticks in the memory so perhaps you're right on that one.