Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• Surprised to see comparisons with the MK match - we created more in the first 20 minutes than we did in the full 90 of that game!

Forino looks like another immense find. Absolutely superb in the second half tonight.

• We could have won 5

Frustrating second half miss

optimistic signs

Calmness in haiku

• Another poor performance to follow two very average ones. Worrying form as we reach an important part of the season. Problem is teams outside the playoffs are winning so the gaps are narrowing. Less confident we will even be in the playoffs.

• We didn't lose. This game had every chance of being "one of those games". We will find our feet again.

I do fear for Taffazoli. Didn't look injured in the gym last night.

• @HCblue said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    we were absolutely awful , GA made his subs far to late , I'm sorry but Sulley offer nothing atm ....we need Mehemti playing , Wing was very quiet

I think Wing was doing his holding job adequately - quietness more a result of his position than his play. Seemed a fair enough player though didn't see anything especially exciting. Where did he come from again?

Agree with that assessment. He came from Middlesbrough, my new second favourite club, though he'd been on loan at Wednesday earlier this season.

• Poor performace? We battered em lad

• Shrews as poor as any team visiting AP this season, so a draw is a pretty poor show.
    Watch out for Wednesday (the club not tomorrow!).

• edited February 2022

@LX1 said:
    Poor performace? We battered em lad

I was thinking the same. Poor in front of goal, but the team performance was superb apart from 20 minutes at the start of the second half when the quality rather deserted us.

• Stockdale should have taken a deckchair.

• We just can’t seem to press home the advantage now. We did also pump the ball in the air a lot tonight which played to their defensive strengths.

• @drcongo said:

@LX1 said:
    Poor performace? We battered em lad

I was thinking the same. Poor in front of goal, but the team performance was superb apart from 20 minutes at the start of the second half when the quality rather deserted us.

Win = good
    Anything else = poor

What is context?

• They got sucked into a scrappy nervous game 2nd half. Fair play to Salop. Just didn't roll for us tonight

• 62% possession tonight, bloody hell

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    62% possession tonight, bloody hell

Possession doesn’t win you games. Goals do .

• @davecz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Possession doesn’t win you games. Goals do .

That's the word on the street

• When we miss the play offs by two points it’ll be those two.

• edited February 2022

I'd like to revise what I said about Shrewsbury being shit - no threat, sure, but extremely effective at parking the bus and digging in to grind out a result, as evidenced by the fact they haven't conceded more than once for 11 games (of which they've only lost two).

• Very poor in front of goal tonight. Just can't deliver that killer pass. We should have hammered them.

• we look more threatening with a flat back 4 , must say though that Forino is very turning into some player

• When we play the ball on the ground we look very good but when we don’t score we revert to smashing the ball into the air.
    Shame we didn’t get the win tonight as other results pretty much went our way.
    Good to see Oxford and Sunderland lose.

• edited February 2022

Once Shrewsbury settled they looked very solid I thought. It's the sort of ride-your-luck / backs-to-the-wall performance we'd be celebrating in their position. No idea what had got Cotterill so angry at the end - Ainsworth looked completely bemused.

Vokes and McCleary didnt look themselves tonight and I think we should've brought on Mehmeti much earlier. Without at least one of those three at their best we're going to struggle to score goals and win matches.

• Disappointing. Shrewsbury offered zero like a classic near bottom team but we just didn't have that quality tonight.
    Think the stats show us having about 26 shots but that Hanlan run and a couple of decent drops first half aside never thought we'd score really.

Results generally went well elsewhere but we definitely have a real battle for 6th now.

• Didn't think we played badly at all, but it was extremely frustrating. I honestly don't think I've seen us dominate a game to that extent since the Conference days. It really was incredibly one sided.

A definite improvement on the last 2 performances, but we can't continue to be so wasteful in front of goal.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    It feels like we've tended to be quite wasteful in front of goal the whole season, can only recall a few times we've managed to score 3. Perhaps this is a bit of bias, does @ReturnToSenda have the stats?

I think we have been, I might have a look tomorrow

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Didn't think we played badly at all, but it was extremely frustrating. I honestly don't think I've seen us dominate a game to that extent since the Conference days. It really was incredibly one sided.

A definite improvement on the last 2 performances, but we can't continue to be so wasteful in front of goal.

That Thursday night Runcorn game

• I did not think we played badly at all. Shrewsbury parked a very big bus with Pierre as the driver. They put everything in the way of every shot and had no real quality in attack had they not defended so well with 10 shots on goal we would have won by three or four. We had 26 shots and 10 they blocked or saved. Had we had no shots I would be more worried. The Plus is we did not lose tonight. Much 'better' teams did. Still in it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

In 2032, a cryogenic Alex (c?) Ferguson will be wheeled out to say this in the Northern Prem, as Manchester City take over the World Cup due to some misguided populist anti fifa movement

• Very very frustrating, first half we were great and should've been at least 2 up. Second half I think we just huffed and puffed a bit. Did I mention frustrating ? Good job we had those 10 days to put things right !

Any word on Taff ? Is it a sprained finger nail or something ?

• The one big positive to take from that is that in previous seasons we'd have lost it to a sucker punch goal on the break. I thought that was coming when their striker looked clear on goal but blasted over to pretty much sum up how dreadful they were. Immensely frustrating night and 2 points dropped.