Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

BSEBSE
edited February 2022 in Football

As he retired dedicated the match day photo to Matty B, however I don’t want to ruin the tradition of badge assassination so:

Comments

• Isn't Floreat Salopia a Harry Potter spell?

• That's a great badge

• Do lions eat hot dogs?

• Does anyone know a good time to arrive at the ground if you're autograph hunting at the players' entrance? Thanks

• Looks like an old fairground stall where you have to knock down three wooden lions to win a cheap teddy but it's rigged so one of them can never be knocked down.

• Interesting game this for me. I always used to compare WW to Brentford in terms of level of support, catchment area etc. Obviously Brentford have gone on to greater things since their inward investment.

I now would compare WW very much to Shrewsbury. Similar-size town, similar support, out-of-town new(ish) ground with little of interest around it. The fact that we are where we are shows that we’re punching well above our weight, although Shrewsbury nearly got automatically promoted to the Championship 3/4 years ago.

Punching above your weight doesn’t mean of course dropping your level of ambition but I don’t think it should be forgotten that our size of club is realistically mid-table L1 or even top seven L2. There are too many deluded clubs in L1 who believe they have the right to be at a higher level.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Looks like an old fairground stall where you have to knock down three wooden lions to win a cheap teddy but it's rigged so one of them can never be knocked down.

Ainsworth could knock it down with a ball thrown 3 feet wide though.

• Is now a bad time to point out that we've never lost at home to Shrewsbury in the league?

• Oh dear @ReturnToSenda whyndid you have to say that!!! ???

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is now a bad time to point out that we've never lost at home to Shrewsbury in the league?

I see that as a positive.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Is now a bad time to point out that we've never lost at home to Shrewsbury in the league?

Haven't you seen my track record for tempting fate?

• I’ve a short memory!

• edited February 2022

They have also inflicted what I assume is out heaviest home defeat in our League era? Albeit in the paint pot

• edited February 2022

I wish they'd kept this badge with the lion who looks like he's just got home to find he's been burgled

• Unfortunately, my memory has failed to fail me on that one. 7-0 and one of our regular nemeses scoring five, I think. On a par with the Burton paint pot game this season (only 5-0!). Both men against boys, with our boys marginally better this time.

• @micra said:
    Unfortunately, my memory has failed to fail me on that one. 7-0 and one of our regular nemeses scoring five, I think. On a par with the Burton paint pot game this season (only 5-0!). Both men against boys, with our boys marginally better this time.

Grant Holt ?

• Cheers.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I hate stats like that - it must be a lot of games too!

Slightly less concerned hearing the reminder of the 7-0 in the whatever trophy - what a grim evening that was despite it being a freebie!

Really looking forward to tonight, only my second game of the season. Hoping for an improvement on the first (4-1 Ipswich defeat)!

• Hope there are a few hundred like you @wwfc_since_1993 - as an ‘occasional’ making a rare visit because, in an attempt to gain an honourable mention from @railwaysteve, I went for a generous 4567 including 321 Salopians!

• @wwfc_since_1993 said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Slightly less concerned hearing the reminder of the 7-0 in the whatever trophy - what a grim evening that was despite it being a freebie!

Really looking forward to tonight, only my second game of the season. Hoping for an improvement on the first (4-1 Ipswich defeat)!

13 league games, not sure there's anyone else we've played that many times in the EFL without a home defeat?

• I’m starting to wobble!

• Many draws? We rarely seem to draw.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@wwfc_since_1993 said:

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

13 league games, not sure there's anyone else we've played that many times in the EFL without a home defeat?

Turns out it's not even close - next is Chester (7 home EFL meetings without defeat)

• @micra said:
    Many draws? We rarely seem to draw.

6 draws out of the 13

• @A_Worboys said:
    Interesting game this for me. I always used to compare WW to Brentford in terms of level of support, catchment area etc. Obviously Brentford have gone on to greater things since their inward investment.

I now would compare WW very much to Shrewsbury. Similar-size town, similar support, out-of-town new(ish) ground with little of interest around it. The fact that we are where we are shows that we’re punching well above our weight, although Shrewsbury nearly got automatically promoted to the Championship 3/4 years ago.

Punching above your weight doesn’t mean of course dropping your level of ambition but I don’t think it should be forgotten that our size of club is realistically mid-table L1 or even top seven L2. There are too many deluded clubs in L1 who believe they have the right to be at a higher level.

This is absolutely spot on in my view.

• They always make me think of Bernard McNally

• @peterparrotface said:
    They always make me think of Bernard McNally

One of the very few things my soon to be step-dad in law knows about football is that Bernard McNally played for Shrewsbury (and is a dab hand on a building site) and that Oxford get battered everywhere they go.

• Maybe we will see Pierre in action again?

• Odds on Pierre coming on late on absolutely thrashing a header in and doing a tesco incident recreation celebration?