Skip to content

2 days (possibly) to plan for covid passports at the ground

Comments

• edited December 2021

@drcongo said:
    I'm sure there's quite a few who still think the government are a bunch of jolly nice chaps doing their best.

Yep.

• edited December 2021

@drcongo said:
    I'm sure there's quite a few who still think the government are a bunch of jolly nice chaps doing their best.

Plenty of them being interviewed on the news ahead of the North Shropshire byelection. I despair.

• Ah, there it is! "And who else would have done any better?" BINGO!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

It might if teams went into bubbles in hotels and whatnot, but I think a return to BCD is more likely.

Problem at the moment at least is surely that there are not enough healthy players to make up a team. Playing behind closed doors doesn't solve that. With infections forecast to increase rapidly hard to see how that gets any better. Even if as hoped this variant is relatively mild, players cant play if they are ill. It feels like its going to be hard to get the season finished.

• Once you're needing to postpone games on the same day they're due on, which has happened twice this week, that surely has to trigger some sort of "circuit breaker".

• @Malone said:
    Once you're needing to postpone games on the same day they're due on, which has happened twice this week, that surely has to trigger some sort of "circuit breaker".

That's what Thomas Frank has called for

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    Once you're needing to postpone games on the same day they're due on, which has happened twice this week, that surely has to trigger some sort of "circuit breaker".

There's got to be a couple of extra prem games called off this weekend.
    Watford had a Wed game called off for instance and play Sat.
    Surely that covid waft can't have come in and out in 3 days?

• @drcongo said:

These are invariably the same people who laugh at those ‘brainwashed North Koreans’.

At least the North Koreans have got a good excuse. Monopoly state media and the threat of death.

• For me, Orange President, the Fat Owl and Brexit have effectively destroyed the idea of effective competent government and seemed to have reduced the National IQ to single figures.

• What use is a "circuit breaker" in football if the govt don't introduce one across society? And players aren't in bubbles?

Might as well try and play the games that can be played

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

There's got to be a couple of extra prem games called off this weekend.
    Watford had a Wed game called off for instance and play Sat.
    Surely that covid waft can't have come in and out in 3 days?

Watford game is also off. One of my WWFC supporting friends was going to Bolton and then decided to book Watford at 6, by 6.30 this game was called off too.

• West Ham v Norwich, Southampton v Brentford and Everton v Leicester also all off at the weekend

• On Five Live earlier I’m sure I heard it reported that half the unvaccinated pro footballers intended to do it when they found the time. Made me laugh out loud. How much spare time do they get in a week?

The NFL approach is unlikely to work here due to different employment laws but something needs to happen across all employment to protect against those who are relying on everyone else to fix the problem.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    On Five Live earlier I’m sure I heard it reported that half the unvaccinated pro footballers intended to do it when they found the time. Made me laugh out loud. How much spare time do they get in a week?

The NFL approach is unlikely to work here due to different employment laws but something needs to happen across all employment to protect against those who are relying on everyone else to fix the problem.

Over the next two months you will see unvaccinated people barred from practically every daily activity you can imagine. Restaurants, shops, hospitals, public transport etc, etc.

They are entitled to say No, just as we will become entitled to say No to coming across these people in day to day life.

• @wwfcblue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    On Five Live earlier I’m sure I heard it reported that half the unvaccinated pro footballers intended to do it when they found the time. Made me laugh out loud. How much spare time do they get in a week?

Over the next two months you will see unvaccinated people barred from practically every daily activity you can imagine. Restaurants, shops, hospitals, public transport etc, etc.

They are entitled to say No, just as we will become entitled to say No to coming across these people in day to day life.

At the beginning of last month it was estimated that around 70,000 NHS staff were unvaccinated. I'm sure you won't be saying "no" if you need help from one of these unvaccinated staff.

I have as yet not got my head around why so many of these staff won't get jabbed particularly those that have seen patients die.

• The intolerance some have shown today towards those who may have deeply felt albeit differing views to the majority is sad to see. I do wonder what world we are heading towards.

(Just for the record I have had all three jabs)

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

I'd imagine a pro footballer's day isn't just a 1 hour training session these days.
    You'd probably be surprised at how many extra duties they have.

The surprising thing for me is more that clubs don't arrange vaccination availability within the club. Maybe they do.

• edited December 2021

@DevC said:
    The intolerance some have shown today towards those who may have deeply felt albeit differing views to the majority is sad to see. I do wonder what world we are heading towards.

(Just for the record I have had all three jabs)

This isn't just a simple difference of opinion, though, is it? This is people (with some exceptions, e.g. vulnerable individuals targeted by anti-vaxxers) acting highly irresponsibly in the midst of a public health crisis which has killed over five million people.

• @Malone said:

I'd imagine a pro footballer's day isn't just a 1 hour training session these days.
    You'd probably be surprised at how many extra duties they have.

The surprising thing for me is more that clubs don't arrange vaccination availability within the club. Maybe they do.

Especially when a lot of them are actually being done at the clubs ground !

• Far too easy to just say let people be if they don't fancy it. Leaders need to lead, show an example, actively encourage people to work together on this and show why and how it helps.
    The health risk posed by large numbers of unvaccinated people mixing with the vulnerable, the additional time and ultimately deaths that are caused by large numbers of people delaying and the potential for mutations mean this is of the upmost importance.

• @wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

At the beginning of last month it was estimated that around 70,000 NHS staff were unvaccinated. I'm sure you won't be saying "no" if you need help from one of these unvaccinated staff.

I have as yet not got my head around why so many of these staff won't get jabbed particularly those that have seen patients die.

You do realise that all unvaccinated NHS staff will be made redundant early next year. No vaccination, no job!

We'll see if that happens when it leaves 1,000s of shortages though!

• @wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

You do realise that all unvaccinated NHS staff will be made redundant early next year. No vaccination, no job!

Irrelevant in terms of the current outbreak.

If the NHS follow through with this are there a sufficiently qualified number of people to replace them? If not, then there will be further impact on the pressure the NHS is currently subject to. There will also be potential claims under the Human Rights Act.

• Some but not all NHS workers that are unvaccinated will be moved from patient facing roles, but before this happens there is a massive shortage of staff already.

• edited December 2021

By what I’m being told the vast majority of these are lowskilled NHS workers and do not include that many doctors or nurses.

• For me it isn’t about vaccinated against unvaccinated. I know people who are unvaccinated who are far more diligent around hygiene, mask wearing and testing than me. In that moment they are safer at spreading a virus than I am. Just being vaccinated counts for little if you rely on that alone.

• @Malone said:

@wwfcblue said:

@mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

We'll see if that happens when it leaves 1,000s of shortages though!

I believe the wording of the new mandate for NHS staff to be vaccinated is that they cannot be "deployed" in frontline care situations rather than employed. So it's not true that they will all be made redundant. Don't forget that not all NHS staff are deployed in frontline care so it's not going to be quite the disaster many believe.
    It'll be a challenge for many NHS trusts and will have consequences for sure

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-introduce-covid-19-vaccination-as-a-condition-of-deployment-for-all-frontline-health-and-social-care-workers

• @wwfcblue said:
    By what I’m being told the vast majority of these are lowskilled NHS workers and do not include that many doctors or nurses.

That's not true.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

This isn't just a simple difference of opinion, though, is it? This is people (with some exceptions, e.g. vulnerable individuals targeted by anti-vaxxers) acting highly irresponsibly in the midst of a public health crisis which has killed over five million people.

While I don't agree with them, you don't accept the possibility that some people may have what they consider to be legitimate concerns about injecting a relatively new vaccine into their body or about the whole principle of western medicine and the effect it can have on the human bodies auto immune defence systems?

A liberal society demands respect for other peoples right to think differently to you. Be very careful what you wish for and tolerate or even encourage.

• edited December 2021

@DevC said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

While I don't agree with them, you don't accept the possibility that some people may have what they consider to be legitimate concerns about injecting a relatively new vaccine into their body or about the whole principle of western medicine and the effect it can have on the human bodies auto immune defence systems?

A liberal society demands respect for other peoples right to think differently to you. Be very careful what you wish for and tolerate or even encourage.

How many of these people do we think reject the very concept of Western medicine? And how many ask absolutely no questions of the ingredients in the things they consume on a daily basis (medication or otherwise)? This sums it up as well as I've seen: