Skip to content

Vipienne Supporters Group

edited November 2021 in Football

Following various discussions about watching via VPN in various threads, especially with a nod our disabled / immunosuppressed / unwell supporters, I thought it could be useful to put together a small guide on how to watch games over a VPN. However, despite my claimed technical chops, I get kicked out every time so I'm not the best one to actually put the guide together. If anyone has any tips on VPNs that work and ones that don't, paying for the game, accounts etc. that would be useful to our Vipienne based fans, please post them here and I'll try to compile it into some kind of permanent page we can point people in need to.

My own single attempt this season ended in failure - Mullvad VPN let me watch up until about 5 minutes before kick-off and then I got kicked out. However, I also have a theory that this was down to me using the same account I'm logged in to the iOS apps with, thereby giving them an easy way to double check my location.

«1345678

Comments

  • edited November 2021

    I use the one included with Norton 360 and it's (touch wood) worked perfectly every time. That's using Chrome. I don't know if it actually makes any difference, but I switch the country every other game or so - have watched from Czechia, Belgium, Finland and the Netherlands so far...

  • I used Mullvad and got kicked out every 10 mins or so.

    I opened a new Edge private browser and was able to get it going again (Firefox private wouldn’t let me login again) each time so only missed a few minutes here and there.

    I also logged in on my usual UK based account.

    I watched from Amsterdam and switched around the city a few times to try and stay a step ahead.

  • I use NordVPN with no trouble at all - really really easy to install and set up
    (I got a decent discount on a 2 year deal as they had a sale on, but there are often promotions on football related podcasts so keep your ears open for discount codes)

    I find that using one of their Dutch servers is the least problematic (had some issues with Belgium and French ones)

    I use my existing account but log out of it before I connect the VPN and then re-login which seems to work a treat

    I pay using paypal rather than my credit/debit card as this adds another layer of geographical anonymity

    the only thing to remember with a VPN is to either log out or pause it if you want to watch anything on i-player or Channel 4/ITV Player - the former because you have to be in the UK to watch (using one of Nord's UK servers works fine) and the latter somehow reads the VPN as ad-blocking software and wont stream video until it is paused

    Hope this helps

  • I've been a bit down on the idea of VPNing in but given the club are openly promoting the idea I think the moral rubicon has been crossed for me. Might dip my toe in using Erroll's method at some point soon.

  • Thinking of parking my car in Ashby De La Zouch and seeing if that'll confuse the EFL into thinking I'm in France.

    Have to say, a day trip to Vipienne has always confused me - despite all the online claims saying it's quick and easy. See also, changing your DNS servers (no idea).

  • @Erroll_Sims said:
    I use NordVPN with no trouble at all - really really easy to install and set up
    (I got a decent discount on a 2 year deal as they had a sale on, but there are often promotions on football related podcasts so keep your ears open for discount codes)

    I find that using one of their Dutch servers is the least problematic (had some issues with Belgium and French ones)

    I use my existing account but log out of it before I connect the VPN and then re-login which seems to work a treat

    I pay using paypal rather than my credit/debit card as this adds another layer of geographical anonymity

    the only thing to remember with a VPN is to either log out or pause it if you want to watch anything on i-player or Channel 4/ITV Player - the former because you have to be in the UK to watch (using one of Nord's UK servers works fine) and the latter somehow reads the VPN as ad-blocking software and wont stream video until it is paused

    Hope this helps

    I was about to say pretty much the same. NordVPN works pretty well. I usually use France but sometimes switch to belgium if its a bit flakey.

    I'm in Greece (for real) at the moment so don't need to be in Vipienne to watch. Last couple of games I've found the feed buffering more than it does when I'm in UK, but don't know whether thats just by internet here.

    One other thing to remember is to get all your bets set up before you relocate to Vipienne. Most online sites wont let you login from outside the UK.

    Should be home end of the year so it will be nice to go to games for real (and actually use my season ticket :-) )

  • Another vote for Nord.

    Found a discount code and paid about £60 for 2 years.

    Pay and set up your account details as with any other service.

    I usually use a European country, haven’t tried USA or anywhere else.

    When buying the pass, I find I have to log out of my account on the Wycombe website, activate the VPN, log back in then pay as normal and it’s fine.

    I connected via France on Saturday and the EFL IFollow app kept asking me to log in every 10 minutes, switched the country to Germany and it was fine.

  • One useful bit of extra information I can give here, is that the closer you can appear to be to the UK, the better and more reliable your stream quality will be.

  • I’m watching from Marseille today. Was in Paris earlier but got thrown out.

  • Im watching from the Netherlands again

  • I'm in Qatar today

  • How’s the weather?

  • Marseille fairly friendly today, The good people of Brussels weren't so accommodating

  • @drcongo said:
    How’s the weather?

    strangely rainy.

  • Happy to spend the odd tenner and argue the toss if it gets cancelled on me, not sure I'd do that with £85

  • It’s a shame there isn’t a more straightforward and clearly legitimate way for UK based fans to access matches on iFollow. I’m sure I’m far from the only season ticket holder whose health currently prevents them even from attending home games (at least until the the weather warms up, probably in late March/April)

  • @micra said:
    It’s a shame there isn’t a more straightforward and clearly legitimate way for UK based fans to access matches on iFollow. I’m sure I’m far from the only season ticket holder whose health currently prevents them even from attending home games (at least until the the weather warms up, probably in late March/April)

    I feel your pain @micra and totally agree while hoping we don't all end up watching the rest of the season on ifollow!!

  • Tip: have a look on you tube at gamer videos. Many are fairly regularly sponsored by nordvpn or some other VPN provider and you get some discount codes at near the start of vids.

    Tbh, given the tweet the other week from the club hinting towards people using a VPN I would find it very amusing if their Our House videos on YouTube start having a paid vpn sponsorship

  • @Wendoverman said:

    @micra said:
    It’s a shame there isn’t a more straightforward and clearly legitimate way for UK based fans to access matches on iFollow. I’m sure I’m far from the only season ticket holder whose health currently prevents them even from attending home games (at least until the the weather warms up, probably in late March/April)

    I feel your pain @micra and totally agree while hoping we don't all end up watching the rest of the season on ifollow!!

    It’s certainly starting to feel like a possibility but I’d hate it. Let’s hope the data which come to light over the next couple of weeks confirm the early indications that the omricon variant will lead to a relatively low number (in percentage terms at least) of cases requiring hospitalisation. Also, let’s hope the vast majority of people only suffer a few days of relatively mild illness and that things start look a lot more hopeful as we move into the New Year.

  • The only slight hope is that the current outbreak might be all over fairly quickly. The experts are suggesting that a million people could be getting infected each day by the end of the year. If that is correct the whole population will have had it by the middle of February.

  • Team managers may need to take it one match at a time. Club managers need to look further ahead and devise plans for encouraging people to attend matches several weeks in the future. People make their own plans, they don't live day to day. Get WWFC in their plans early.

  • The dreaded ‘Rona has finally hit the family this week so I’m visiting the exotic lands of Vipienne for the first time. Useful thread this, cheers.

  • @BlueBoy said:
    The dreaded ‘Rona has finally hit the family this week so I’m visiting the exotic lands of Vipienne for the first time. Useful thread this, cheers.

    They say New Zealand is quite nice this time of year ?

  • i-follow has now kicked me out twice with the error message 102 - you do not appear to have permission to watch this video stream or some such this is despite it taking my payment via my account when I was logged in via a dutch server, managed to log back in both times but it is frustrating to say the least

  • @Erroll_Sims said:
    i-follow has now kicked me out twice with the error message 102 - you do not appear to have permission to watch this video stream or some such this is despite it taking my payment via my account when I was logged in via a dutch server, managed to log back in both times but it is frustrating to say the least

    I just had exactly the same issue also watching 'from the Netherlands' - might change country

  • edited January 22

    Is the camera position below the pitch? You've got a great big stand on that far side - why not put it there?

  • The small town of Norton in France is a lovely place to watch the game.

Sign In or Register to comment.