Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Much needed win against an ok Bolton side. Don’t see them at the top end of the table but a very important win for us. It would have saved a lot of nerves if we would have taken one of the other chances.Mehmeti is superbly talented but just needs to look up sometimes and release the ball earlier. That will come with experience. Vokes took his goal well. Just needs the service and he will deliver. Stocks made some excellent saves. Great to see McCleary back. I would like Ainsworth to find a way to regularly play both McClearly and Mehmeti.

• Fireworks - my youngest came to only his 2nd match today, and was looking forward to them, and he’s made me change my opinion on them combined with what Gaz said after the game today (about if fireworks make fans come back then great).

Think about it, worst case we lose in the last minute, pissed up away fans take the piss - so what?

If 100 young kids have a smile on their face after a bad result then yes, they more likely to come back.

I don’t think we do fireworks for the average fan, or a load of beered up away fans, I think we do it for families at the game. Just like we do the beer tent for other sections of our support.

But the fire is shit.

• The fire is the sort of thing you'd have on a stage in combination with something else, like a pop group. Or something you're announcing.

Not just on its own. From some wheely bins.

• The fireworks might be more palatable if we weren't making positive environmental changes in other areas

• @Malone said:
    The fire is the sort of thing you'd have on a stage in combination with something else, like a pop group. Or something you're announcing.

Not just on its own. From some wheely bins.

Yes bang on. They go up. They come down. Repeat.

• The fire thing you can do with a gas hob. Big whoop.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The fire thing you can do with a gas hob. Big whoop.

(don't try this at home etc)

• Back to the game, was anybody else a bit concerned that Taff might get booked again in the last 78 mins after he was skinned in the build up to his yellow card??! And just how did Vokes shot not go in off the post ??‍♂️

• edited November 2021

Quite enjoyed that game. We weren’t playing with that swagger we had early in the season, but it was still quite entertaining. Mehmeti was superb, absolutely scared the crap out of the Bolton defenders every time he ran at them.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how good Vokes was with a ball to feet today too. He really was. However he only ever got it to feet by accident. There were a lot of occasions where we punted balls towards his head when there was a much better ground pass on. I hope we work on choosing the right pass a bit more. Having said that though, Vokes was so good with his head today, a load of really great flick-ons and one of the most perfect headed goals I’ve ever seen at Adams Park.

And McCleary back. What a lovely surprise.

• @username123 said:
    Back to the game, was anybody else a bit concerned that Taff might get booked again in the last 78 mins after he was skinned in the build up to his yellow card??! And just how did Vokes shot not go in off the post ??‍♂️

He was offside anyway, slightly spared his blushes

• @drcongo said:
    Having said that though, Vokes was so good with his head today, a load of really great flick-one and one of the most perfect headed goals I’ve ever seen at Adams Park.

Reminded me of Bayo v Southend away in 2019

• It’s funny how people see a game so differently. I thought Anis was fantastic today. People will moan about his ‘poor decision making’ when he has team mates in space but in all honesty, if he was the finished article he probably wouldn’t be playing in L1 for Wycombe.

I thought we put some great balls into the box today. One of Kaikai’s corners was a particularly fantastic delivery and the cross from Jase for the goal was on the money.

• Shocking really. Great header but it doesn’t happen if the cross is closed down.

Huge credit to Vokes. That was an extremely difficult finish. He could only score by looping it back over the keeper like that. The sort of clinical stuff we’ve been hoping for.

• @Glenactico said:

Shocking really. Great header but it doesn’t happen if the cross is closed down.

Huge credit to Vokes. That was an extremely difficult finish. He could only score by looping it back over the keeper like that. The sort of clinical stuff we’ve been hoping for.

Baptiste looked shattered most the game, I’m not sure he was fit to play. TBF they’ve got quite a few injuries and they subbed him too

• Shame we didn’t kill the game off. We’re winning games by a single goal margin quite regularly. Good in some respects but I fear a lack of ruthlessness may cost us.

The only difference between the teams was a superb finish from Vokes and 2-3 excellent saves by Stockdale (my MOTM).

Their left winger was a real handful and Macca did reasonably well (without much help) to stop him running riot.

Good result and much needed but we still made lots of mistakes that a better team would have punished.

Enjoyed it as a game overall. Quite close and a good tactical contest. Well refereed for once too.

• @username123 said:

@Glenactico said:

Shocking really. Great header but it doesn’t happen if the cross is closed down.

Baptiste looked shattered most the game, I’m not sure he was fit to play. TBF they’ve got quite a few injuries and they subbed him too

No wonder he couldn't jump

• Hugely enjoyable game. Mehmeti was absolutely outstanding. What a great header from Vokes and if anyone deserved a goal, he did- he’s hit the woodwork so many times recently. I thought Thompson was excellent today with Wheeler in the centre. Onto a very difficult match at Plymouth, without a doubt our biggest test of the season, and football is a funny old game so who knows!

• Great win well done the blues ! So much better than Tuesday thank goodness. Get the ball into Vokes and he will score, how exciting to have GMac back ! Get Horgan in as well if we can

As for fireworks... they are shit, seen one seen them all, not good for the environment and dreadful for wildlife. I unfortunately know someone who's dog died on the 5th as it was scared shitless from all the fireworks, that reason alone for me means they are not worth it

• Great gritty 1-0 win today, Vokes on the scoresheet a huge boost for everyone

Funny how Plymouth have been talked up all season but we'll go above them with a win on Tuesday.

• Was just happy to see us do something from a throw in really

• @MBS said:
    Hugely enjoyable game. Mehmeti was absolutely outstanding. What a great header from Vokes and if anyone deserved a goal, he did- he’s hit the woodwork so many times recently. I thought Thompson was excellent today with Wheeler in the centre. Onto a very difficult match at Plymouth, without a doubt our biggest test of the season, and football is a funny old game so who knows!

Encouraging to see Plymouth lost today and hopefully we can help them continue a little poor run of their own now.

2 points off top feels a lot rosier.

• Another enjoyable game today, very similar to Portsmouth last week. Difference being that we finally manage to score today, whilst Bolton missed their chances.

I thought it was a real vote of confidence to give Mehmeti 90mins today. Really pleasing to see him back in the side, he makes things happen. Also pleased for McCarthy, that was an absolute peach of a cross. Vokes really deserved that goal, he's been playing so well recently, but had no luck whatsoever.

We weren't great defensively, but the clean sheet will give us a boost of confidence. Stockdale was back to his best as well, which was encouraging.

2 tough away games coming up, but that result along with the return of McCleary gives us a chance.

• @drcongo I actually thought Vokes’ goal v Morecambe was even better than today’s. Both technically excellent though. And so pleased for him after the recent run of post-hitting. I still think he is absolutely key to our season, along with G-Mac and Horgs.

• Stats have him down as hitting the woodwork today (only the second time he has in the league all season) - when was the one apart from hitting both posts in the first half? Cause that got flagged for offside.

• Fireworks = harmless. Kids enjoy them. We are a family club.

Fire show = seems a bit over the top. Against a big rolling backdrop (like the Kop for example), or in a massive game - I can understand, but just looks a bit odd at a League 1 game with the terrace as the backdrop. Spend the money on fixing those shoddy £7 burgers!

I reckon it would actually spur on their support/players because we appear to make a song and dance.

• Fireworks are far from harmless

• Are you sure it was flagged for offside? Looked like the ball went out after hitting the post and a goal kick resulted.

The goal was fantastic, thought for all the world it was looping too far and over the top, I'd even started to sigh at another missed chance. Joyous then when it ripples the net.

• Vokes wasn’t flagged offside for the shot that hit the post was he? He was not even close to be offside, in fact he ran across the defender after his first touch. The ball went out for a goal kick after hitting the post when he couldn’t quite keep it in.

He also hit the post twice on Tuesday.

But Vokes was absolutely brilliant today, absolutely brilliantly led the line. Mehmeti was back to near his best and credit him for now shrinking after that penalty miss. McCleary back is a huge boost. He is just absolute silk, such a talented footballer. A pleasure and privilege to see him play in the Quarters.

Entertaining game, hard fought win after the slump. Well done everyone!