Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Great, gritty win against a Bolton team who fought bravely.

• edited November 2021

Defensively still a mess at times but much better all round

• Coming of age performance from Anis Mehmeti today. What a wonderful talent he is

• Thought it was a good performance and an important result. Mehmeti responded well to missing the pen and felt Wheeler and Thompson did well in the middle. Obita was rock solid throughout as well and some key saves from Stocko.

Still a little concerned at how open we look during counter attacks, but recovered well generally

• If we stick with 4atb I don't think we're going to be seeing much of JJ

• edited November 2021

Slightly concerned at loss of set-piece threat with neither the JJ nor Kaikai in the side, but I guess we should be able to rely on GMac/Horgan for that!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    If we stick with 4atb I don't think we're going to be seeing much of JJ

There's a place for him. We put one decent cross in all day

• Strong 2nd after a poor start. McCarthy finally gets a ball in, nice finish from Vokes.

Mehmeti and McCleary run at the defence, which few others do.

Think Thompson was fine in the tackle, but was poor on the pass

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    If we stick with 4atb I don't think we're going to be seeing much of JJ

There's a place for him. We put one decent cross in all day

We'll see. You're not wrong, but Obita has looked class in all other aspects. Then again, huge game on Tuesday so might see him come straight back in.

• Bolton fans are ripping the shit out of us over the fireworks. Maybe we could stop now...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bolton fans are ripping the shit out of us over the fireworks. Maybe we could stop now...

If it's the same one's on the bus singing Munich songs they can fk right off

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bolton fans are ripping the shit out of us over the fireworks. Maybe we could stop now...

I thought they were terrific

Some of the best I've ever seen in person

• They must cost a fair bit

• We won lads and lassies. We missed a penalty, hit the post but still won the game. Fair play to GA for changing the formation today and now we have that win under our belts maybe we can take that as a stepping stone to go in another run. COYB!!!!!

And Mehmeti got a full game (what a talent) and McCleary back yessssssss. Happy days!!!!!!!

• The fireworks at the end were pretty good, because they added to an already exciting moment. I feel like the special effects can work as a dramatic complement to important moments, rather than being the focus of our attention. The fire was just weird.

• Are we 100% with fireworks?

• Bolton were a good side. A valuable three points I think. Just need the God of games in hand to act in our favour before Christmas now!

• And Plymouth slipped up for once.

• My daughter and I enjoyed the fireworks.

They’d have be massively inappropriate if we let in a goal at the end or had lost the match though!

• @Shev said:
    Are we 100% with fireworks?

I am indifferent to be honest but not against. I got in too late and missed being flame grilled today thank god.

• @Doob said:
    I hope GA isn't going to mess it up again.

He didn't.

• Very much needed win. Great team performance, although I thought we looked very vulnerable against fast counter attacks again (kudos to Bolton in that regard.) Stockdale my MoM because he made 4 very good saves (3 from counter attacks?) Very good performance from Wheeler today, including a lot of tracking back. Very underrated player.
    Different team in the second half when McClearey came on (60 minutes - well done Gareth!?) He and Mehmeti linked up very well indeed and Bolton struggled to cope with them both playing closely together when they linked up. Well done to Anis for not dropping his head after the penalty miss.
    Superb header from Vokes for the goal. He looked like the weight of the world had bit lifted from his shoulders after he scored and was fighting and competing so much more at that point. On to Plymouth!

• A good day out and made even better with a lovely sausage and egg baguette from Linda’s and from just £3.50. Lindy Lou’s forever!!!!!!!

• @Shev said:

We are. 3 from 3 in the Wonderful Wycombe Wandering Wonders series

• Lets be honest. That victory today was as much down to Stocks saves as Vokes goal. Without him, that was a drawn match. The favourite of mine, (probably because it was the one I could see clearest), was the one in the 1st half. Forward with a clear run in from 40 yards out, Stocko never came off his line for an age, then sprung forward & blocked with his chest. TBH I didn't give him an ice creams chance in hell of stopping that. We are still vulnerable to the counter attack as was shown many times today, we are fortunate enough to have IMHO the best keeper in L1.
    That said whilst it wasn't a roll over win, it was based on sheer grit & determination which will be needed on Tuesday night. COYB.

• @therabbittest said:

@Shev said:

4 from 4 for the fireworks including the FA cup holders.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@therabbittest said:

@Shev said:

4 from 4 for the fireworks including the FA cup holders.

I'm all for them!

• @Shev said:

When a man is tired of fireworks he is tired of life.

• edited November 2021

Thank goodness we saw that one out. Average opponent that we should have killed off earlier.
    Not sure why Vokes and Hanlan aren't gagging to get on the pens with a rare game JJ isn't around. It's a free shot at goal from close in for goodness sake!

Vokes' shot against the post was a cruel one, those usually go in to say the least.

Mehmeti has so much about him, but seems to like to pass at the very latest moment possible, risking losing it/stalling the move. Glad his pen didn't cost us.

Superb header from Vokes, and most of all great to see McCleary back. He is very clearly the best in our team, and arguably the league.

The fireworks were decent, at least we could see them properly this time!

But that fire stuff is utterly pointless.

A bunch of wheely bins, fire goes up, fire goes down. Repeatedly for about 10mins. One bin didn't even work, but what's the purpose of this one?

• really pleased to have got a win.

Yes we look vulnerable to counter attacks mostly because McCarthy over commits going forward, meaning Stewart or Thompson has to cover over creating gaps etc. It's bad enough when we have 5 at the back but is almost suicidal when we play a back 4; thank goodness Stocko was back on form, he is an incredible keeper for this level.

I thought we still looked slightly ponderous and bereft of ideas going forward, at least until GMac came on, but put that down to confidence more than players suddenly becoming shite.

As for the fireworks I do wonder what Wheeler has to say about them?