Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Another point on GMac - his defensive tracking back. Yesterday he shepherded the ball out of play for a goal kick by giving the attacker a little shoulder barge at the end...and I think it was with his recently damaged shoulder (though I could be wrong)!!!

I can't remember which shoulder he did the barge with, but I think he injured the right one.

• ‘Mustard’ (I thought that was what we were calling him on here) does run with a wide legged body close to the ground leaning on the defender style, so all the defender has to do is move aside and he will fall over, which happens a lot.
    He had a great start to the season so perhaps we view him through rose coloured specs? A Rovers mate said - yes great pace, some skill, can’t finish. Which since those early games is a fair summation of his recent performances - to which I would add haven’t seen him win a 50:50 header yet.
    Strange then that I like him in the team.

• Oh and the most skilful player I’ve ever seen in The Quarters was Sergio Torres, doesn’t mean he should have played at a higher level though, as Posh found out.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Genuine question because I'm a relative yoof (first game 2003): loanees aside (and even among them, maybe only Eze ranks ahead), is GMac the greatest player Wycombe have ever had relative to the division the team is/was playing in?

Obviously impossible to compare different eras but I’d agree with Noel Ashford. One of those players who could easily have played at a much higher level if they wanted to.

Also a shout for Simon Garner. Arguably past his peak when he came to us in Division 4 (League 2) but everything about him oozed a class well above our level.

And going further back - I do have vague recollections of seeing him play and my dad used to speak of him in hushed tones - is Len Worley. We were Isthmian League at the time and he signed on as an amateur with Tottenham. Played one game for them in the first division and was offered a professional contract but didn’t want to turn pro so stayed with us for another 10 years.

• And of course Steve Guppy!!

• Guppy was so exciting to watch, as soon as he got the ball you just expected something to happen

• Dave (Jesus) Carroll - best ever Wycombe player!!!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Genuine question because I'm a relative yoof (first game 2003): loanees aside (and even among them, maybe only Eze ranks ahead), is GMac the greatest player Wycombe have ever had relative to the division the team is/was playing in?

Yes

• Noel Ashford he really was a big fish in a very small pond.
    He was so far ahead of anyone on the pitch in terms of ability, in every game.

• Flip that question around... Which Wycombe player looked the most hopelessly out of their depth at the level? ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Flip that question around... Which Wycombe player looked the most hopelessly out of their depth at the level? ?

I never saw Carlos Lopez, but the worse player I saw for Wycombe was a keeper called Steve Crompton.

• Oh, Yves Ma-Kalambay

• @Shev said:
    Another point on GMac - his defensive tracking back. Yesterday he shepherded the ball out of play for a goal kick by giving the attacker a little shoulder barge at the end...and I think it was with his recently damaged shoulder (though I could be wrong)!!!

That's the underrated part of his game. Not the shoulder bit especially, but the defensive pressing part. Probably as good as any attacking player we've had at it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Flip that question around... Which Wycombe player looked the most hopelessly out of their depth at the level? ?

Leon Crooks I remember as being a fairly shocking player.
    Levels below Luke Oliver

• I remember a central midfielder called Nigel Taylor. Slightly less mobile than John Cornforth plus no ball playing ability either.

Definitely the worst player I can remember who actually played a few games.

• edited November 2021

It is, and will always be Carlos Lopez

I will never forget it

• “Hold my beer”, said Mark Foran. Luckily a short and (not so) sweet loan from Sheff Utd.

• Who was the chap who had played I think for Arsenal and was a model and launched a clothing range that season when Taylor bought in a load of rubbish just before the season started? Seemingly no interest or ability in football what so ever.

• Drew Broughton.

• @mooneyman said:
    Drew Broughton.

No, don't think that's who @perfidious_albion meant.

Someone Jeffrey maybe?

• Wasn't his name Jeffries or something. Spent the whole game watching the ball fly over his head.

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Drew Broughton.

Someone Jeffrey maybe?

Wasn't responding to @perfidious_albion's post.

• edited November 2021

@mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Drew Broughton.

Someone Jeffrey maybe?

Wasn't responding to @perfidious_albion's post.

I knew ;)

• No, scratch the above, think you were referring to John(?) Halls.

• Jon Sutton.

• @CarParkPete said:
    Wasn't his name Jeffries or something. Spent the whole game watching the ball fly over his head.

Jeffrey or Jeffries, can't remember.

As half our fans on here struggle with Hanlan v Hanlon I'm certain if Jeffo had played more than about 5 games it would have been spelling carnage.

• Stop claiming we are all old @ReturnToSenda ?

• Currie and Martin Taylor

• The worst.... keeper in the mid 90s left for Bristol Rovers , can't remember his name.

• @LX1 said:
    Stop claiming we are all old @ReturnToSenda ?

?