Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup)

Comments

• Sorry for my outburst. But the rubbish I have just read through is a disgrace imho. We’re league one Wycombe Wanderers using the players in our first time squad.

We’re not Man City playing the under 21’s. Who would be better than our first team anyway

• No one is saying that Mr Yak, posters are saying Ainsworth did not play his best team available.

• Calm down, you can recognise a rotated team and still support them. Pretending we didn't rotate is a bit like suggesting Ryan Alsopp never knowingly delayed a goal kick.

• @ChasHarps said:
    No one is saying that Mr Yak, posters are saying Ainsworth did not play his best team available.

No, we have people guessing and assuming and even suggesting GA lied about the availability of some of our players when they have zero evidence.

And anyway it’s, as strongest team suggests, a simple case of squad rotation. Because football today is a squad game and Managers rarely get to play their “best” 11.

How many times have we fielded the same starting eleven from game to game this season?

GA and managers in general always pick the best 11 they think will get them through the next game while minimising injuries and suspensions.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ChasHarps said:
    No one is saying that Mr Yak, posters are saying Ainsworth did not play his best team available.

No, we have people guessing and assuming and even suggesting GA lied about the availability of some of our players when they have zero evidence.

And anyway it’s, as strongest team suggests, a simple case of squad rotation. Because football today is a squad game and Managers rarely get to play their “best” 11.

How many times have we fielded the same starting eleven from game to game this season?

GA and managers in general always pick the best 11 they think will get them through the next game while minimising injuries and suspensions.

I think it's unlikely he would have made anywhere as many changes if it was a league game, others may have different opinions. If he did play a weaker than possible team that is by definition is devaluing the cup a little but we are nowhere near the only team to do so. People are entitled to their opinions about wether that's the case and wether it really matters .

• @StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ChasHarps said:

I think it's unlikely he would have made anywhere as many changes if it was a league game, others may have different opinions. If he did play a weaker than possible team that is by definition is devaluing the cup a little but we are nowhere near the only team to do so. People are entitled to their opinions about wether that's the case and wether it really matters .

Then every game of football is devaluing football. As I said - managers really get to play there best 11. There are so many factors that come into it, rather than who can lace their boots.

Football has moved on a lot more than even just 5 or 10 years ago. It’s a squad game and every player in a squad earns his place in That squad in the event of needing to play if called upon. That’s why we have a B squad. Everyone in the A squad is expected to be good enough.

We started 1 B squad player who scored and was fouled for the pen.

Players are monitored 24/7 in terms of fitness and recovery (tune into Ryan taffazolli’s you tube channel for an insight into what he has to do at home to be at peak fitness ready for a game) even at our level. I would prefer to rely on the team that monitor that to pick the “best 11 for each game”.

I’d have been worried had blooms got a run out. In the event I’m more surprise Vokes nearly played 90 mins than any other player coming into the side.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ChasHarps said:

Then every game of football is devaluing football. As I said - managers really get to play there best 11. There are so many factors that come into it, rather than who can lace their boots.

Football has moved on a lot more than even just 5 or 10 years ago. It’s a squad game and every player in a squad earns his place in That squad in the event of needing to play if called upon. That’s why we have a B squad. Everyone in the A squad is expected to be good enough.

Players are monitored 24/7 in terms of fitness and recovery (tune into Ryan taffazolli’s you tube channel for an insight into what he has to do at home to be at peak fitness ready for a game) even at our level. I would prefer to rely on the team that monitor that to pick the “best 11 for each game”.

I’d have been worried had blooms got a run out. In the event I’m more surprise Vokes nearly played 90 mins than any other player coming into the side.

Personally think it went a bit beyond resting one or two but he can pick whoever he likes. Interesting perhaps to see if the draw is attractive enough for us to be a bit keener with who plays in the replay.

• Most of us would probably say that Scowen is a slightly better player than Gape. However a fresh and raring to go Gape might be a better option than a totally knackered Scowen. You can mirror this over many of the other positions.

We now have a much higher class of "reserve" player resulting in rotation being much less damaging than it was in the recent past.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ChasHarps said:

Personally think it went a bit beyond resting one or two but he can pick whoever he likes. Interesting perhaps to see if the draw is attractive enough for us to be a bit keener with who plays in the replay.

We rested McLeary and benched vokes when we played Man City. I doubt the potential draw for the 2nd round being a big team in our league, will change much.

Didn’t hear anyone complaining of devaluing that competition. But then that one isn’t as important as the fa cup though. Right?

• @TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ChasHarps said:

We rested McLeary and benched vokes when we played Man City. I doubt the potential draw for the 2nd round being a big team in our league, will change much.

Didn’t hear anyone complaining of devaluing that competition. But then that one isn’t as important as the fa cup though. Right?

I think a lot of people were certainly surprised we rested our whole front 6 v City away!

• Will probably annoy the traditionalists but I do hate a Monday draw.

• Harrogate away please.

• Whoever we get in the draw, I just hope we play @ChasHarps’ favourite players so as not to disrespect the entire concept of football.

• "IF" we get through the replay, someone interesting from non league please. Home or away.

• edited November 2021

Don't you think that if Gaz wanted to rest players then lie about it, he'd do it throughout the team and not just in the defensive/goalkeeping department? Six players (I'm including GMac and Freeman) were unavailable for various reasons; I understand the initial scepticism, but it shouldn't be that hard to believe.

• As for the draw, home v anyone please.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@bookertease said:
    So I’m of the view that we should rest players next Saturday and put out our strongest 11 the following Tuesday to maximise our chances of progressing to the next round.

Seriously?

Sorry. I wasn’t being remotely serious!

• I can understand the policy of injury news silence to achieve some minicsule advantage over the opposition, even if I don't like it or think it achieves much beyond pissing some fans off. What I'm really uncomfortable with is the genuine misinformation, such as the Ingram thing, yes, but most notably in recent weeks the blatant lie about McCleary's fitness test pre-Fleetwood, which I saw drew an unusually credulous response from some of our supporters. From a hospital bed picture with a sling one Saturday to a fitness test the next - it's taking fans for mugs and it really jars with the "all in it together" ethos that I still value.

Do it if you have to, but don't think it's cost free.

• @bookertease said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@bookertease said:
    So I’m of the view that we should rest players next Saturday and put out our strongest 11 the following Tuesday to maximise our chances of progressing to the next round.

Seriously?

Sorry. I wasn’t being remotely serious!

I was gonna say!

• As the season goes on it would be nice if as many players as possible get competitive minutes and so will be able to step up if we need them to.If they are not up for playing in the Cup, I don't know what they would be up for. There was enough quality in that team to win the tie, in my opinion. I don't feel cheated or ashamed myself...sorry if the hardy Chairpeople who travelled did.

• @Malone said:

Will probably annoy the traditionalists but I do hate a Monday draw.

Is a Monday draw traditional?

• Great result for St. Albans!

• St Albans away please.

• We were shit yesterday, got away with a draw. I’m happy we’re in the draw for the next round.

• Oh, the draw is AFTER the Dagenham & Redbridge - Salford game. That's new?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Will probably annoy the traditionalists but I do hate a Monday draw.

Is a Monday draw traditional?

Always used to be Monday lunchtime on the radio

• Lots of League One teams drew. Looks like a few shame replays being added to the calendar. ?

• @floyd said:
    St Albans away please.

Make it home. The record crowd at Loakes Park was against them but capacity at Adams Park would not get us anywhere near that.
    12-Jan-1957 St Albans City FAAC1 A W 4-1
    On the open terrace, I recall that it was darned crowded

• @wingnut said:

@floyd said:
    St Albans away please.

Make it home. The record crowd at Loakes Park was against them but capacity at Adams Park would not get us anywhere near that.
    12-Jan-1957 St Albans City FAAC1 A W 4-1
    On the open terrace, I recall that it was darned crowded

Clarence Park is a lovely ground tho.