Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup)

Comments

• I was born in St. Albans and always look for their result. I agree with @floyd about Clarence Park too. Maybe we can get a replay and play home and away (ducks for cover)....

• An cup tie at Clarence Park would be enough to convince even the most hardened cynic about the beauty of the competition. See also, The Dripping Pan. Or Top Field.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

Will probably annoy the traditionalists but I do hate a Monday draw.

Is a Monday draw traditional?

I believe so. Huddled round a radio and that.

• I see I wasn’t the only one to have noticed the manager say one thing and do another yesterday. It’s been such a long time since I felt that kind of disappointment. In fact it was probably November 2019, when a similar thing happened when we played Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup.

I’m not sure I can face another replay like that one. Watching something so uniquely precious and cherished being trashed by indifference and so-called progress. If the future is in the hands of the likes of @ReturnToSenda the FA Cup is dead anyway. We’ll always have Selhurst Park.

• Jesus, we 're getting a bit Brexity aren't we? People not agreeing with the view that a deceitful management team (I assume we are including Dobbo) played a deliberately weakened side to insult the FA Cup are not effectively demanding the end of football as we know it. It's just a difference of opinion. The sky is not falling.

• @Wendoverman said:
    As the season goes on it would be nice if as many players as possible get competitive minutes and so will be able to step up if we need them to.If they are not up for playing in the Cup, I don't know what they would be up for. There was enough quality in that team to win the tie, in my opinion. I don't feel cheated or ashamed myself...sorry if the hardy Chairpeople who travelled did.

This hardy Chairperson travelled and I was delighted to witness a superb debut by Forino which made it well worth the trip.

• All he had to say was the same as all the managers say when they put out a weakened side - we picked a team that were good enough to win. (Bit disrespectful to the opposition mind). But to say this was the strongest team available... that's not disrespectful to the opposition, it's disrespectful to the supporters that made the long trip to Hartlepool.

• @wingnut said:

@floyd said:
    St Albans away please.

Make it home. The record crowd at Loakes Park was against them but capacity at Adams Park would not get us anywhere near that.
    12-Jan-1957 St Albans City FAAC1 A W 4-1
    On the open terrace, I recall that it was darned crowded

@floyd said:

@wingnut said:

@floyd said:
    St Albans away please.

Make it home. The record crowd at Loakes Park was against them but capacity at Adams Park would not get us anywhere near that.
    12-Jan-1957 St Albans City FAAC1 A W 4-1
    On the open terrace, I recall that it was darned crowded

Clarence Park is a lovely ground tho.

Apologies. I picked out the wrong match in the club history. It should have been this one:- 25-Feb-1950 St Albans City FAAC4 H W 4-1
    Looking back through those years we played St Albans countless times
    I went to one league game there and there was hardly any covered accommodation at all.

• What part of six players being unavailable - all for specified reasons - are people finding so hard to get their heads around?

• The harsh truth is that the rewards for promotion to the Championship are infinitely greater than the rewards for progressing a few rounds in the FA Cup. And progressing in the FA Cup could have an adverse effect on efforts to achieve promotion, especially with all those bloody replays.

• How massive is Wycombe when Sam Vokes is playing for us in the cup but it is a weakened side? Not wading into the debate, just admiring how brilliant our squad is!!!

• I too hope it's St Alban's away in rd2. Then people can complain about the tree - if it's still growing - situated right in the middle of the terrace rather than the drummer/team selection.

• @Twizz said:
    I too hope it's St Alban's away in rd2. Then people can complain about the tree - if it's still growing - situated right in the middle of the terrace rather than the drummer/team selection.

The tree had to be removed many years ago owing to disease - but only after St. Albans were denied promotion to the Conference because of it!

• @Shev, I guess people will just have to continue moaning about the drummer and/or team selection then?

• Is that Salford's first> @micra said:

The harsh truth is that the rewards for promotion to the Championship are infinitely greater than the rewards for progressing a few rounds in the FA Cup. And progressing in the FA Cup could have an adverse effect on efforts to achieve promotion, especially with all those bloody replays.

As it appears progress in the League cup is having an adverse effect on Sunderland.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    What part of six players being unavailable - all for specified reasons - are people finding so hard to get their heads around?

Not sure "rested" is a legitimate reason for being unavailable as stated for Bayo not travelling. He has not exactly played that many minutes this season.

• @micra said:
    The harsh truth is that the rewards for promotion to the Championship are infinitely greater than the rewards for progressing a few rounds in the FA Cup. And progressing in the FA Cup could have an adverse effect on efforts to achieve promotion, especially with all those bloody replays.

Definitely a fair opinion but for me winning the Cup is more important.

• To put things into perspective, six of the starting eleven against Hartlepool also started against Ipswich while another two starters on Saturday were used as subs v.Ipswich. Thompson also started v.Hartlepool and is, of course, a first team regular. That leaves just two who started v.Hartlepool (Przybek and Forino) who are not first team regulars. In other words, why the outrage?

• @Shev said:
    How massive is Wycombe when Sam Vokes is playing for us in the cup but it is a weakened side? Not wading into the debate, just admiring how brilliant our squad is!!!

If I've understood the rabid frothing in this thread correctly, that wasn't actually Sam Vokes but a 90 year old hitchhiker they picked up on the way to the game wearing a Sam Vokes suit. Shameful disrespect, football is over.

• edited November 2021

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    What part of six players being unavailable - all for specified reasons - are people finding so hard to get their heads around?

Not sure "rested" is a legitimate reason for being unavailable as stated for Bayo not travelling. He has not exactly played that many minutes this season.

In fairness, I don't think Gareth will care what anyone thinks. There have been times when the club have been economical with the truth on injuries, but the need to rest a 39-year-old who's having injections just to play isn't that unfathomable.

• @drcongo What's up with you? Why the abuse? These people just wanted us to play a better team in the FA Cup and have explained that it matters to them and why. It's not like they've threatened to watch another team instead, like you did last season, from your pearl-clutching couch - you know, in the days when you were accusing the manager of trying not to win.

• @our_frank said:
    @drcongo What's up with you? Why the abuse? These people just wanted us to play a better team in the FA Cup and have explained that it matters to them and why. It's not like they've threatened to watch another team instead, like you did last season, from your pearl-clutching couch - you know, in the days when you were accusing the manager of trying not to win.

I don't see any abuse, just sarcastic (and quite funny) responses to overreaction.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I believe that we had a few knocks, but I also agree that we wouldn't have started that 11 in a league game. But that's fine - there shouldn't still be such a stigma (or any stigma, for that matter) surrounding the concept of rotation in 2021.

Make your mind up.

• @glasshalfempty said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I believe that we had a few knocks, but I also agree that we wouldn't have started that 11 in a league game. But that's fine - there shouldn't still be such a stigma (or any stigma, for that matter) surrounding the concept of rotation in 2021.

Make your mind up.

Yeah, this was before I did some digging into the absences as I had my doubts initially too. But they were all legit. People can choose to believe that or not.

• Admittedly I think Taf (knock as opposed to injury) would have played had it been a league game

• You mean it’s easier to ignore your doubts because it suits your argument. That starting XI would not have been selected if it had been a league game and you know it. I know it, everyone knows it.

I’m not sure why you, and others who clearly hold the FA Cup in such contempt, are even bothering to join in this debate. Surely banging one out over xG is more your thing?

Given the inextricable link between our club and the competition, it does show a remarkable lack of respect.

• @ReturnToSenda It's only overreaction if you don't really care about the FA Cup, though, isn't it, or if you're happy to swallow the continuing club Pravda practice on injuries? If not, it's perfectly understandable.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    You mean it’s easier to ignore your doubts because it suits your argument. That starting XI would not have been selected if it had been a league game and you know it. I know it, everyone knows it.

I’m not sure why you, and others who clearly hold the FA Cup in such contempt, are even bothering to join in this debate. Surely banging one out over xG is more your thing?

Given the inextricable link between our club and the competition, it does show a remarkable lack of respect.

No, I don't mean that at all.

It's fine to love the FA Cup and it's fine not to - I'm somewhere in between.

• @our_frank said:
    @ReturnToSenda It's only overreaction if you don't really care about the FA Cup, though, isn't it, or if you're happy to swallow the continuing club Pravda practice on injuries? If not, it's perfectly understandable.

But the club are normally quiet on injuries - here they did actually give some detail.