Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup)

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Has anyone actually asked the FA Cup how it feels about this flagrant show of disrespect?

I have. No response

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Has anyone actually asked the FA Cup how it feels about this flagrant show of disrespect?

I have. No response

I heard a mumbled vague statement about 'magic of the competition' but there was no hard information.

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

I heard that since it accepted that sweet sweet Middle East oil sponsorship money, so it can be the Emirates Fa cup (tm) (rather than the fa cap in association with…..) it’s doing very well now thank you very much indeed and thats offset the cheapening that happens when one b squad player is named in a starting 11.

• @Wendoverman said:

@LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I have. No response

I heard a mumbled vague statement about 'magic of the competition' but there was no hard information.

I 'superliked' on tinder. Matched but no reply yet.

• I have read right through this discussion and it is going nowhere so time to call it a day. We are lucky to have a good manager who is paid to do just that so let him get on with it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I have too. After being on hold for a while it turns out they were speechless which I assume meant livid by the disrespect.

Quick genuine question though @ReturnToSenda . When you gave up writing your excellent pieces on JJ’s Left Foot citing a lack of time did you already anticipate how much time you’d be spending defending the young person view against so many oldies?
    I miss JJ’s Left Foot.

• edited November 2021

Ignore button. A blessing.

• He's creepy. Hassles you and follows you around the Internet.
    Then overdoses the praise, potentially sarcastic.
    But will wheel the mental health card out if anyone even mentions it.

• @Malone said:
    He's creepy. Hassles you and follows you around the Internet.
    Then overdoses the praise, potentially sarcastic.
    But will wheel the mental health card out if anyone even mentions it.

Touche

• A bit of guess the poster to keep it light :D

• I love replays, best thing about the FA Cup and there should be as many as is required to finish the tie. At the end of the day you get more memories and history to look back on than a damp squib of a penalty shoot out at the end of 90 minutes.

I would go back to 3 straight knockout competitions, played home and away, in Europe. Sod the Champions League!

I have no issue with no replays in the Carabao and Papa Johns.

I think I’d be much happier Gareth saying something like, “I’m prioritising the league over this round of the cup and therefore if some of my players have a slight niggle or need a rest then I’ll use this game to give them that recovery. However, we have a number of exceptional players knocking on the door who need first team experience in real match conditions. This match gives us an opportunity to see what they can do that and further their development. So it’s Win Win in my eyes. No doubt at some point we may need to call upon the whole squad in the league so it’s good to give them those chances in the cup this weekend.”

I think he provided standard PR interview. I do agree with others that some of those missing would likely have played if it were a league game.

I disagree with the injury information. I don’t believe it’s a massive competitive advantage and feel the fans are owed a little something. Is it really that difficult to tell us if a player is estimated (by the club) to be out for 6-8 weeks that we are unlikely to see him for let’s say’s the next four weeks?

Really looking forward to next Tuesday and a barnstorming cup evening under the hugely impressive new floodlights!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Being ball number 29 has got me thinking... Who's worn the 29 shirt for Wycombe? Currently De Barr but can't have been that many?

Oh, Senda was! As were, among others, Kevin Betsy, Sam Saunders and Ben Frempah.

• When all is said and done, we are no longer a fan owned club. The couhigs are the major shareholder... What they say goes. Its surprising that no body has considered that they have said go all in on the league and cups come second.
    When GA said he played the strongest team available.... That could mean he has has been instructed that any player with even the slightest of knocks must be rested. In this scenario, he may well have "played the strongest team available to him" and no lying at all came into it. I strongly suspect that this may be the case, and those questioning Gareth's integrity and honesty after all he has done for us need to give their head a damn good wobble in my opinion. Disgusting behaviour by "our fans"

• I do not buy that Gareth and Dobbo do not have final say in football matters myself @Alexo . He played a team he thought could beat Hartlepool and some fans disagree with his choices. It's as simple as that.

• Would take another night out in Manc.

Salford away.

• Guare> @thecatwwfc said:

Would take another night out in Manc.

Salford away.

Guaranteed tv money too….

• For the record I love the f.a cup. I was there for every single match, home and away for our epic run to the semi final against Liverpool. But this season I can fully understand that priority is getting to the championship again if at all possible. If sacrifices are made, then so be it. Its for the long term good of the club to get there again asap if we can

• @Wendoverman said:
    I do not buy that Gareth and Dobbo do not have final say in football matters myself @Alexo . He played a team he thought could beat Hartlepool and some fans disagree with his choices. It's as simple as that.

Gareth has a boss, just like 99% of us.... We have to do as we are told

• @Wendoverman said:
    I do not buy that Gareth and Dobbo do not have final say in football matters myself @Alexo . He played a team he thought could beat Hartlepool and some fans disagree with his choices. It's as simple as that.

You may be right... But even so... Maybe his aspirations are set on championship next season so again, when he said he played the best team he could, he may have believed that with his main goal in mind

• Draw not til 9:55 apparently

• I am guessing Carlisle or Rotherham.

• I said just that yesterday and again today, @Alexo.

• @Shev said:
    I am guessing Carlisle or Rotherham.

Leyton Orient at home ?

• About time we played Col U again

• Salford away.
    Tick off Timmies going wild.

• Apparently Salford took 25 fans tonight. TWENTY-FIVE.

• Oh my god, just seen the Mansfield goal v Sunderland. Incredible.

• Lincoln away, meh

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Lincoln away, meh

Meh indeed

• Boreham Wood v St. Albans for a Herts derby.