Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Shouldn't even be playing, it's ridiculous

• Should or shouldn't be playing..... Embarrassing

• It's not embarrassing. The players are absolutely broken; they're not machines.

• I'm not keen on Southgate, but it's pointless reading anything into these games.

• As Southgate has just said, no other England manager has had to deal with the Nations League. Add to that the incredible timing of these games and the forthcoming World Cup I think it shows only that Hungary were the only team in our group who were at all bothered.

• Not really concerned that we weren’t sharp and lost the game. And I can completely understand the players need a break (although plenty of Hungary/Italy/Germany players will be similarly tired).

But it is quite concerning that we seem to have no real gameplan. In all 4 games the central midfield have been terrible, with the exception of Ward-Prowse. There doesn’t seem to be a clear plan of where they’re going to receive the ball and where the next pass then goes.

I think we look better in a back 5 myself, despite all the moans about it apparently being too cautious.

• Had the World Cup not been moved to December it would have been played now. Don’t buy the idea of them being tired poor things - they get rotated in big squads throughout the season. Unfortunately England under Southgate continue to lack pace when they transition from defence to attack - style of play to me is the issue - pointless possession.

• It really illustrates the fallacy in the argument that you need to make friendlies count. The whole point of international friendlies used to be to assess new players, formations, tactics etc. without worrying about the result.

If every game becomes just about the result, in about 5 years time we'll still be seeing the same (very aged) players playing the same formation and tactics as now.

We have been absolutely awful in these 4 games though ....

• They'd have had a break between the end of the season and the World Cup. These four games came straight away and they're back in pre-season in a couple of weeks, can hardly blame them for mentally being on the beach.

• Utterly pointless competition. To shoehorn 4 games in was just madness of a bizarre magnitude.

Still, ticks a few more days off closer to the proper stuff back.

• edited June 2022

I know I said I like the Nations League - and generally I do as it tends to pit teams against those at a comparable level, but they're basically rebadged friendlies to the countries who'll probably never need the competition as a tournament qualification route. And playing four in 11 days after some players had had a matter of days off after the end of the club season was utterly bonkers.

• Just imagine how fans would be reacting if this were the group stage of the 2022 World Cup which, as @PJS says, it would be but for the wisdom of FIFA moving the comp to November/December....

• Summer 2020 they played out the end of the Premier League, summer 2021 played all 4 weeks of the Euros, summer 2022 played Nations League until mid June and will be back in pre season in a couple of weeks.

I I know they have a good lifestyle and career, but I think most people want a holiday at some point.

• Why play a RB at LB. If you haven't got a LB, play a back 3.

What have we learned from this game? That you can't play names over a system.

I feel bad for Southgate. His reputation is being tarnished by these needless games. The players are knackered!! They need a break!

Southgate has given me my most memorable times that I can remember as an England fan, so I back him until he resigns.

• I know it made no difference in the end but why no VAR check for that pathetic sending off? If running into the back of someone means a yellow card for the player run into...the world has gone mad.

• But as @ReturnToSenda has pointed out, they wouldn't be. The WC would probably have started this Friday or last Friday following an early end to the PL and CL seasons. There's no way players would have been in the CL final on Saturday and then reporting for England training 72 hours later as happened this Summer.

• PJSPJS
    edited June 2022

Of course they would also have had a number of warm up friendlies before the start of the World Cup

• Not four, and the club season would have ended earlier anyway

• I'm hoping the MLS can succeed, though it is baby steps. I rarely go to a game despite having a team on my doorstep, but have been to many in the past. The quality on the pitch is still not there, but Seattle breaking through to win the CONCACAF Champions League was a big step. The atmosphere seems to be excellent for many clubs now, so hoping they can continue to improve on the pitch!

That is a good reminder for me to perhaps get myself to a Rapids game this season.

@floyd - ever get to any football back that way?

• I think you are getting a bit excited here. Agree cramming 4 games in at the end of the season was mad, but the competition is a good idea imho (and I'm a fierce critic of UEFA generally). If we had played two friendlies against Cameroon and New Zealand (e.g. at random) , nobody would have noticed.

• Shoehorns are underrated btw. Always use one now if posh shoes are required.

• I thought it was supposed to review clear refereeing errors...but I admit it's rules confuse me.

• Always made me laugh how we'd play warm-up v countries from the continents as our group stage opponents - as if they all play the same way...

• But wouldn't that type of game be perfect for the squad refresh Southgate went with last night. Not sure how anyone gained from that and you have to give others a chance at some stage.

• My point was, many England fans would be making knee jerk reactions, rather than looking at the actual facts. The responses on here seem to suggest I was correct.

I didn't criticise the players for their performance in this competition, I merely stated we'd been awful.

Personally, I'm glad that Southgate took the opportunity to play some different players, formations and tactics. How else is he to know what works or otherwise.

• Richmond has quite a successful minor league team. We went to a couple of games, and the technical standard wasn’t awful, but there was hardly any tackling!

• One of the things that concerns me is we only have a few days prep between the final weekend of the Premier League in November and the WC starting. the following weekend. Hardly any time at all to work on system before the tournament kicks off.

• And when do the players actually get to rest? Is there a break planned?