Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• This (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61653086) definitely ranks as

a) a stupid rule/loophole

b) taking the piss

• Yep, that's a classic UEFA thing. Pretty sure they did the same with Bulgaria after their fans racially abused England players.

• Just to rub the salt in further, the actions of Hungary fans will result in there being 30,000 of them at the ground and no travelling England fans - that’ll teach ‘em

• YCMIU, unless you're UEFA - in which case you did. Unbelievable, except again it's UEFA, so of course it's believable.

• Something going around on Twitter, have to admit, it did raise a smile

• Neil Critchley has left Blackpool to become Gerrard's no2 at Villa - you don't see that very often

• Appleton did it at PNL, left to become a number 2.

Mind you can't blame him for wanting him to get away from those deluded freaks.

• On what basis did he get that job in the first place??

• Sullay is in the Sierra Leone squad for upcoming AFCON qualifiers v Nigeria and Guinea-Bissau

• I stupidly booked a flight to Budapest for the Hungary game forgetting no away fans.

• DeBarr didn’t even make the bench for Gibraltar today, any idea why @inflikted ?

• @floyd At our Wembley play-off DeBarr was using a crutch for support and clearly injured, so it would have surprised me to see him turn out for Gibraltar this soon afterwards.

• Yeah I think De Barr is still recovering from the horror injury he got while at Eastleigh. Why Julio keeps calling him up when he knows he's injured, I have no idea. Maybe to assess his injury himself? Very few people in Gibraltar like the manager at the moment as he's stubborn in his selections, calling up players who are well past their sell-by dates and insisting on playing negative football with up to 8 defenders on the pitch at any one time. He also refuses to call up certain players because of personal grudges like Cordoba's keeper Jaylan Hankins who's very highly rated and seen by many as better than current first choice Dayle Coleing (who himself has earned international plaudits for his displays) - Hankins declined a call-up when he first joined Cordoba because he wanted to make a good impression and ensure he'd be around the first team (he has been, regularly on the bench albeit yet to play for the first team) and Ribas took that personally. De Barr probably still shows up to the call-ups because he knows that if he turned it down, Ribas would never call him up again out of spite.

• edited June 2022

Just back in and to pick up on a couple of comments. The rail traffic at Wembley Stadium after the Forest game was just really quiet. My brother headed into London and the platform was really quiet. More fans on the ‘down’ platform but no queues to get in the station at all. I guess the fans all went to Wembley Park tube station and headed straight to Kings Cross/St Pancras?

And it wasn’t a great game but Forest are a lot better than they showed…and that game was all about the result, wasn’t it?

• it turned out to be all about VAR, unfortunately.

• Forgot he was injured. thanks all!

• https://twitter.com/GibraltarFA/status/1530957107167649795

Tjay wasn't actually in the squad this time around, so must still be injured. Didn't see him at Wembley but he was amongst the players walking around outside Stadium MK before the 2nd leg and wasn't using crutches at that point.

• Reece Styche still making the squad and now has 23 caps.

The strength of their attacking options must mirror to that of what the England selectors have for opening batsmen.

Although Styche is probably still more competent as a Striker, than Rory Burns was at opening.

• I don't think we've had a striker better at giving away fouls then complaining to the linesman in our league days.

• Knee booed at the England game. Almost as if letting 40,000 people in, many of them adults, isn't the same as playing behind closed doors 🤔

• edited June 2022

I must admit sometimes I do despair about our present society but at least I now get to despair in pounds and ounces I suppose.

• In fairness to Reece, he scored twice for Gibraltar last year which took him to record scorer, and considering the negative football played by Julio that's no mean feat against Montenegro and Norway. But there are some legitimately decent youngsters coming through. Liam Jessop is at Fleetwood's international academy (which isn't much but considering the lack of chances GIB players get in the UK he took it) and is impressing there, while Jaiden Bartolo is seen as the next big thing over there and is still in the domestic league (though he only just turned 16 so been too young for a move until now). Out wide they have Carlos Richards breaking through at Derby and they're hoping he'll keep making strides under Rooney.

• Kyle Hudlin gives Solihull the lead. Didn’t we have him here on trial once?

• Nah. Some of us thought so, but a case of mistaken identity!

• Oh, I remember now... one of those pre-season training ground photos, where gasroomers were playing ‘name that trialist’...

By the way, well done Grimsby - amazing play-off effort! “Cod Almighty” could be worth a read, if it’s still going.

• Fair play, very rare that a team bounces straight back up from the National League