Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Reading some of the comments down that thread, didn't Oxford take numerous years to come back up? Not 1 or 2.

• If Kieffer Moore were to pick up an early season injury, and Sam Vokes were to start the season in sparkling form, what are the chances of the club being represented at a World Cup?

Also what on earth would we do for a month! Feels an unlikely scenario but not completely out of the question

• edited June 2022

Very slim I'd say, he's got a few other strikers ahead of him. Obviously it would be ridiculous for Wycombe if he did go!

• One of the small positives in not going up is not having that 4-5 week break in fixtures.

And internationals not disrupting the season as much. Bar us having bad luck in playing the wrong teams on the international dates of course, and having 3 ourselves!

• Gibraltar lost only 2-0 to North Macedonia in an improved performance compared to the game against Georgia. Styche started again but was subbed off for Jamie Coombes who is not a #9 by any stretch of the imagination.

Their latest prospect Nicholas Pozo made his debut though, he's currently on the books of Cadiz in La Liga and they apparently think he has what it takes to make it to the first team (would make him first Gibraltarian to play in Spain's top flight if he manages it). Only 17 and missing his A-Levels to play. Carlos Richards and Jaiden Bartolo are missing these games due to their GCSEs and A-Levels.

• Wales will be more worried about Bale and Ramsey. They'll have a medical team on standby every waking moment between now and November.

• Who had the crazier run - Real Madrid or Grimsby?

• It seems there has been a huge influx of American investors/owners at EPL/EFL and the higher end of the non league game.

I wonder why so many have chosen the UK rather than US based teams to get behind ?

• I think it's the promotion system. If you buy a minor league US team, you've always got a minor league US team. By a lower league English team and there's the possibility of making it all the way to the Premier League.

• that, and asking when the fixtures are out

• edited June 2022

Of course, the Gasroom Summer Tradition used to be publicly "flouncing out" after a massive spat! - only to be back in place for the beginning of August...

• Right, that's it, I'm off.

• I cannot even ask when my plastic ticket will arrive...as it's in my wallet already. One assumes the signing of The Player(s) who will secure promotion will have to wait until all of the present players offered terms decide whether or not to re-sign...or head off to 'bigger clubs' and Rob can check his checkbook.

• I suspect the interest from US owners is down to perceived value and return on investment either by getting promoted or on resale.

MLS expansion franchises cost well in excess of £300m now (roughly what Saudi Arabia paid for Newcastle) whereas you can pick up a Championship side for somewhere in the region of £30-50m and a L1 team for a fraction of that, yet promotion from L1 gets you a cool £7m in solidarity payments & TV money which rises to a whopping £150m+ if you can get to the promised land of the Premier League.

As for sell on values just look at Chelsea to see the silly numbers that the "perceived" Big 6 are now worth.

• Plus there's probably the knock-on effect from Reynolds and McElhenney buying Wrexham. It's become trendy to buy a lower league club and try to turn them into a big team.

• Are we underestimating our own contribution to this? The Couhigs picked up WWFC for not very much and I don't think they've had to invest significant amounts of cash. Their model is supposedly to take the club to a higher level and sell on at a profit, and they look like they're well on their way to achieving it.

• Do us up, sell us on.

Sounds cynical, but you only have to imagine the state we'd have been in without their arrival. Although some would say someone else would have turned up. Perhaps like that ex players consortium etc. But they'd have been a total unknown lottery.

• edited June 2022

To be honest if i was as loaded as they are with no danger of bankruptcy I can see the pleasure in that...if it is presently 'trendy' or not they seem to be genuinely enjoying it.

And I know they are yanks and have made some ho-hum films not being involved in oppressing minorities, atrocities in Ukraine or murdering journalists would be a bonus for me.

• Anyway if anyone wants to see if there's another young Gibraltar player worth taking on like De Barr, their U21s are about to play the Netherlands. Big surprise is Cordoba GK Jaylan Hankins is on the bench and Europa FC's 2nd choice keeper Christian Lopez starts but you never know, he could have the game of his life. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be any legit streams in the UK. It's apparently a 5-4-1 formation with 18 year old Dylan Borge (who has 16 goals in 39 league appearances for his club) left to lead the line on his own.

• Alright I may have spoken too soon about Lopez.

40 mins in and it's still Netherlands U21 0-0 Gibraltar U21s and the Dutch missed a penalty. Lopez has made a number of saves already so far.

• Do you live in Gibraltar or just take a keen interest in their national teams games? Was at the last Gibralter v Netherlands U21 game in November, was amusing to see top level talent like Zirkzee and Maatsen against a bunch of local young lads.

• I fear we may be cautious over signing any more players called C Lopez after the last time it happened.

• Just been to the football design exhibition in London and even they hate Oxford

• Odd spelling of decisions

• I've never met a designer who can spell.

• Got buddies over there. Know one or two of the smaller club chairmen and I run the Non-League Llanitos Twitter account to follow the progress of Gib players abroad.

Unfortunately the U21s players' legs ran out after an hour (understandable as they're semi-pro/amateur and a lot hadn't played since April) and the Dutch ran away with it winning 6-0. They need to do more to prep the squad for intense games after a long break. With better fitness levels they could have held out for a lot longer.