Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• edited December 2021

Rotherham drawing with Cambridge at HT and Sunderland losing to Ipswich. Wigan beating PNL and Plymouth beating Charlton. We're still 4th...

• Rotherham won, Sunderland drew & Wigan beat PNL & we are still 4th

• edited December 2021

Rotherham, Plymouth and Wigan winning is a bad day.
    Could have been slightly worse I suppose if Sunderland had won.

Let's hope we don't get another couple of games called off, fall to 7th, and then the league is called off again!!

• @Malone said:

Let's hope we don't get another couple of games called off, fall to 7th, and then the league is called off again!!

*8th

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

*8th

7th as that's outside the playoffs...

• Someone put the Christmas songs on for goodness sake

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

*8th

7th as that's outside the playoffs...

No, but EIGHTH is where we finished before cheating our way to promotion ;)

• edited December 2021

It's been a decent day for us, really. Plymouth two points behind having played a game more, Oxford three behind on the same games played, and Sunderland a point ahead with the same games played. I think the current top two will be the final top two, so I've pretty much accepted that we're going up the hard* way.

*fun

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's been a decent day for us, really. Plymouth two points behind having played a game more, Oxford three behind on the same games played, and Sunderland a point ahead with the same games played. I think the current top two will be the final top two, so I've pretty much accepted that we're going up the hard* way.

*fun

Would have been decent if less than 3 rivals had won I think.

Having played all of the top teams away bar 1 I think it is, we have to fancy the chances of momentum barging us into the conversation later on.

• Fortress Adams Park…coming up

• Statement away win by the Latics at Threestandland after surrendering a 2 goal cushion.

• they are really strong away, though, aren't they, Wigan? Relatively weak at home. They also have that great habit of consistently scoring late goals.

• edited December 2021

Six teams unbeaten in five (or longer):

Rotherham and Pompey - 13/15 points
    Wycombe, Wigan, Sunderland and Sheff Wed - 11/15

I hate how strong this league is!

For comparison, only two teams in the Championship have form that good at the moment (oh my god, Blackburn are on a MAD right now).

• Isn’t another way to look at those stats is that The Championship is a more evenly matched league and that Div1 has a league within a league at the top?

• To be fair I think League one is pretty close. Lots of teams could make a late break for the top.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Isn’t another way to look at those stats is that The Championship is a more evenly matched league and that Div1 has a league within a league at the top?

Quite possibly, but L1's league within a league does make it extremely competitive at the top.

• Can't wait for Wycombe - Newcastle next season. One of the funniest goals of the season for City, that.

• edited December 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Can't wait for Wycombe - Newcastle next season. One of the funniest goals of the season for City, that.

Agree about the comedy goal. However we will be playing Norwich, Watford and Burnley the three poorest teams next season not Newcastle. An open cheque book in January will save Newcastle comfortably, assuming PPG doesn't come into play!

Why is the City keeper able to wipe out a Newcastle player in the box and VAR is not even checked for a clear penalty?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Can't wait for Wycombe - Newcastle next season. One of the funniest goals of the season for City, that.

The classic marshalling of the defence by running backwards, waving a hand vaguely in the direction of someone who needs marking and then shaking your head when you concede.
    And if you've indicated your not actually even going to try and defend you can't really be surprised when they walk straight through you for the second.
    Calculators ready time .

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Agree about the comedy goal. However we will be playing Norwich, Watford and Burnley the three poorest teams next season not Newcastle. An open cheque book in January will save Newcastle comfortably, assuming PPG doesn't come into play!

Why is the City keeper able to wipe out a Newcastle player in the box and VAR is not even checked for a clear penalty?

I'm not so sure even that will save Newcastle. They'd have been better off appointing a manager with a track record for setting his sides up well defensively... Agree about Norwich and Watford, though.

And yeah, I'm not sure our dipstick officials will ever get the hang of VAR.

• Newcastle won't go down, they will spend their way out of trouble, despite their incredibly bad start they still only need a couple of wins and they are out of the relegation zone

• edited December 2021

It's not that straightforward, and I don't think they're going to attract 'big' players as easily as people think at the moment. The loan market might be the most sensible option - players like Digne and Dele. And they'll need new signings to gel pretty much immediately, which basically never happens. There aren't many really bad teams this season either - if Burnley (quite possible) or Watford (less likely) get their act together, they might be stuffed.

• edited December 2021

Also, they just don't appear to have any clear strategy. Wanted Emery then went for Howe? Hmm. It will be very interesting to see what kind of signings they make, though.

• A lot of "big" players particularly those nearing the autumn of their careers will be attracted to the "big" wages offered by Newcastle. I can see Arsenal wanting to get shot of Aubameyang which would be ideal for all parties. Ali, Lingard, Tarkowski, Martial etc are realistic options, and it is rumoured the owners are desperate to sign Sarr from Watford.

• And VAR fails to do its basic job again...

• @mooneyman said:
    A lot of "big" players particularly those nearing the autumn of their careers will be attracted to the "big" wages offered by Newcastle. I can see Arsenal wanting to get shot of Aubameyang which would be ideal for all parties. Ali, Lingard, Tarkowski, Martial etc are realistic options, and it is rumoured the owners are desperate to sign Sarr from Watford.

Someone's going to have to do a bloody good job of selling the project to them! If they stay up then it's a different story.

• 3 or 4 hundred grand a week sells most things pretty well

• I would like to see Erling Haaland in the Championship tbf...

• @mooneyman said:
    A lot of "big" players particularly those nearing the autumn of their careers will be attracted to the "big" wages offered by Newcastle. I can see Arsenal wanting to get shot of Aubameyang which would be ideal for all parties. Ali, Lingard, Tarkowski, Martial etc are realistic options, and it is rumoured the owners are desperate to sign Sarr from Watford.

I think Newcastle will struggle actually for signings like these. Think about it, the longer Newcastle are out of the picture then the more chance everyone else has of achieving their targets. So if I was Spurs, Man Utd or Arsenal there is no chance I’d be sending them Ali, Lingard, Martial or Aubameyang in January if it helps them to stay up !

• @username123 said:

@mooneyman said:

I think Newcastle will struggle actually for signings like these. Think about it, the longer Newcastle are out of the picture then the more chance everyone else has of achieving their targets. So if I was Spurs, Man Utd or Arsenal there is no chance I’d be sending them Ali, Lingard, Martial or Aubameyang in January if it helps them to stay up !

There was paper talk that all the prem clubs had made a pact to not sell them players.

But that'll be broken the first time Newcastle bid above market value for someone those clubs wants out.

Hopefully Newcastle do go down and it puts their master plan back a couple of years.