Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    I hope Gareth is taking note that even the government is trying to work out a Plan B...although I suspect a lot of us won't like it!

I suspect the majority of us will tell the Government where to stuff Plan B (whilst having the wisdom to understand that it’s probably the right thing to do regardless)

• @bookertease said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I hope Gareth is taking note that even the government is trying to work out a Plan B...although I suspect a lot of us won't like it!

I suspect the majority of us will tell the Government where to stuff Plan B (whilst having the wisdom to understand that it’s probably the right thing to do regardless)

I think it is largely Liz Truss up front on a tank.

• Plastics 1-1 Plymouth - best result for us really. Wigan won, but that was to be expected v Shrewsbury.

• Wigan's next two are Ipswich at home and Oxford away, though, so win our next two and I think we'll be in the top two at Christmas. Not bad really!

• Despite their run of 3L, 1D, I am not writing off Plymouth. Those were all hard games (especially against us). That being said, I am most concerned with Rotherham, Wigan and Sunderland, though the latter tin pot club are a bit streaky.

• Oxford are coming up on the rails too, and Sheffield Wednesday will be heard from. What a strong division it is!

• edited December 2021

Highest-placed team we've played at home is Pompey ninth. Have taken points off five of the top eight (of which we are obviously one) - and should have taken points off Sunderland, and probably would have off MK. Good flow of goals - become more consistent defensively and we'd be as close to perfect as you could get really.

• edited December 2021

For all this talk of us not putting teams to bed, we have scored 2+ goals in 12 games. In 2019/20, it took us until February to manage that.

• edited December 2021

34 goals, none of them pens. Only teams with more non-pen goals are MK (37), Rotherham (36), Wigan and Ipswich (both 35).

One of Wigan's came v 10 men, as did four of MK's (all in the same game v Gillingham) and four of Rotherham's (two v Gillingham - poor Gillingham).

Ipswich haven't had anyone sent off against them yet and nor have we.

Slight caveat would be that we've played one more game than MK, Rotherham and Ipswich, and two more games than Wigan - but I'd say we're still doing pretty bloody well!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    34 goals, none of them pens. Only teams with more non-pen goals are MK (37), Rotherham (36), Wigan and Ipswich (both 35).

One of Wigan's came v 10 men, as did four of MK's (all in the same game v Gillingham) and four of Rotherham's (two v Gillingham - poor Gillingham).

Ipswich haven't had anyone sent off against them yet and nor have we.

Slight caveat would be that we've played one more game than MK, Rotherham and Ipswich, and two more games than Wigan - but I'd say we're still doing pretty bloody well!

Great posts for some context, thanks!

• Don’t know if you’re into cricket @Shev but, if so, you could possibly be watching England skittle the Aussies at a relatively reasonable hour!

• edited December 2021

@Shev said:
    Oxford are coming up on the rails too, and Sheffield Wednesday will be heard from. What a strong division it is!

I think the top 9 clubs look like they are fighting for the top 6 places at the end of the season. What a great division and how good that Wycombe, little Wycombe are right in there.

• @LX1 said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Cook sacked at Ipswich

The pies were awful when I went to be fair

Apologies @LX1. Accidentally hit down thumb. Great comment which I completely missed first time round. Like the upward thumb.

• @micra said:
    Don’t know if you’re into cricket @Shev but, if so, you could possibly be watching England skittle the Aussies at a relatively reasonable hour!

I like watching cricket, but it never seems to be on a major network here, unless it is a less glamorous series!

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Shev said:
    Oxford are coming up on the rails too, and Sheffield Wednesday will be heard from. What a strong division it is!

I think the top 9 clubs look like they are fighting for the top 6 places at the end of the season. What a great division and how good that Wycombe, little Wycombe are right in there.

I agree - and to think we could finish 9th, have our fourth greatest ever season and yet feel bitterly disappointed shows how far we have come!

• @Forest_Blue Well said! What a time to be a Wycombe fan.

• I was just wondering, with Man City finding goals hard to come by, do they need a plan B?
    Maybe they should be considering a loan deal for Bayo in January?

• edited December 2021

Leeds' injury crisis and Bielsa's stubbornness were a recipe for disaster tonight, but City have basically perfected football. An extraordinary team - and to think we managed to keep it down to 6-1!

• Ipswich being absolutely sh*te on ITV 4. I guess they may pull it round but at the moment they are looking terrible.

• Matterface and Dixon are just the worst commentary duo

• Saw the last few mins, Ipswich showing no great urgency. Not a kitchen sink in sight. But in the newly developing traditions of the competition, they made 9 changes. What kind of message...?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Saw the last few mins, Ipswich showing no great urgency. Not a kitchen sink in sight. But in the newly developing traditions of the competition, they made 9 changes. What kind of message...?

We are so lucky to have Garreth as our manager. May he reign forever and evermore

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Saw the last few mins, Ipswich showing no great urgency. Not a kitchen sink in sight. But in the newly developing traditions of the competition, they made 9 changes. What kind of message...?

Ipswich were absolutely awful in the first half. All I could think was, why weren't they this bad at our place. Felt genuinely sorry for the poor sods who'd travelled all that way to support them, free coaches or not.

No doubt they'll be back in it by the time we go to Portman Road.

• @LeedsBlue said:

What seems strange to me is that in the papa john's cup the rules say you have to play at lesst 4 regular first team players, but in the FA Cup you could put out a youth/under 23 team as I believe Southampton did one year.

• edited December 2021

Three postponements away from half of this weekend's games in the top four divisions being off

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Three postponements away from half of this weekend's games in the top four divisions being off

23/46 now off. And counting, I suspect...

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

23/46 now off. And counting, I suspect...

2021/22 to be expected really, 22/23 possible , Not sure Bayo can hold on until he's 65 to get his farewell game though.

• Villa v Burnley off now leaving Leeds v Arsenal as the only Prem game currently on (there's still time!)

• Match of the Day is taking itself far too literally